Punishment

THG Catching Fire $25.25m Thursday Previews

We program about 25 Hollywood titles globally and carry another five or seven Hollywood titles internationally that we can't play domestically because of scheduling conflicts. We have another five or seven titles that are local-language movies

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/imaxs-greg-foster-gravitys-appeal-653281

The large-format exhibitor, once relegated to museums, is responsible for more than 15 percent of Gravity's gross, with moviegoers shelling out $20 or more a head in big cities. The Toronto-based, 550-employee company has seen its revenue balloon from $102.7 million in 2008 to $284.3 million in 2012 thanks in large part to Hollywood tentpoles, while its stock has rocketed from $3.35 a share in early November 2008 to around $30 today. Imax's global creative czar is Greg Foster, 51, whom Imax Corp. CEO Rich Gelfond promoted earlier this year to CEO of Imax Entertainment in recognition of Foster's leadership in building the company's commercial slate and establishing relationships with studios. Foster, who spent 15 years at MGM before joining Imax in 2001, also oversees the documentaries financed and produced by Imax. The distributor will release a total of 40 films this year. Tentpoles can see an enormous boost from their Imax runs; it's not uncommon to add $70 million or more to their bottom line.

I'm sure this doesn't mean much, but of all the Thursday sneaks and/or midnight screenings I've attended, Catching Fire had the least diverse demographic. Essentially the entire audience was 18 to 25 and white. I always go to the same theater. That's NEVER the case. To compare, Furious 6 and Avengers had the most diverse in terms spanning age, race, etc... Even when I happened to catch Twilight at midnight with my girlfriend years and years ago, the age range was wider and more apparent diversity throughout the audience. It was odd. Packed house though. Plenty of gasping and the clapping as the credits rolled. Viewers seemed very pleased. Awesome start.

My prediction was $181M OW... Now, I'm thinking just under $165M.

• Like 1

You would think. When studios first started including even just 10:00 showings in the "midnight" numbers, I assumed we'd have tons of films breaking the midnight/OD records. But the extra showtimes don't really seem to have made any difference. Even BD2, as the only Twilight with early shows, didn't do noticeably better than Eclipse or BD1, which were "real" midnight openings.

Right. 8pm shows are clearly not really adding anything to "midnight" records. The numbers seem to back this up.

And while I'm all in favor of separating Thursday previews from Fridays, that's clearly not going to happen. At least all movies going forward will be in the same boat. More or less.

It's also worth pointing out that not all 8pm previews are created equally. For a movie like Breaking Dawn Part 2, my local 16-screen theater stopped showing every other movie around 6 or 7, and had every single screen showing BD2 at some point starting between 8 and 9 o'clock. For Catching Fire, they kept most other movies playing, and only had 1 or 2 8 o'clock showings, followed, by a 9, a 10, etc. They only opened up the other screens to CF later that night.

I'm sure this doesn't mean much, but of all the Thursday sneaks and/or midnight screenings I've attended, Catching Fire had the least diverse demographic. Essentially the entire audience was 18 to 25 and white. I always go to the same theater. That's NEVER the case. To compare, Furious 6 and Avengers had the most diverse in terms spanning age, race, etc...

The Fast & Furious movies definitely appeal to a diverse audience. The Transformers movies attract an incredibly diverse crowd too (at least racially, but maybe not for gender).

• Like 1

You can't make that comparison though, because Twilight was making $13M by its 3rd weekend. It was a much smaller film than THG. But it ended up with a 2.77 multiplier and THG ended with a 2.67, so it's just inaccurate to say the first Twilight "dropped like a rock". If that's your criteria, then THG dropped even harder. Fact is both films had surprisingly strong legs.Now it just remains to be seen if CF will follow other sequels and be drastically more frontloaded, but I think most agree there's virtually no chance its legs are as bad as the Twilight sequels.

Come on, THG opened to double what twilight opened to and had better drops for its first 4 weeks. It may have had a worse multiplier but we all know films opening as high as THG all averagely have lower IM's. Twilights late legs came around Christmas time where all films benefit from soft drops so it's pretty obvious that given the circumstances, THG had much better legs than Twilight. Fact is, it dropped like a rock to small figures and cruised along there with the help of Christmas holidays. Those late legs would have been nonexistent had it been released the same time as THG.Also the fact that Twilight was only making 13M buy it's 3rd weekend only makes THG drops all the more impressive. Edited by Jessie