Punishment

THG Catching Fire $25.25m Thursday Previews

You guys forget this is primarily a movie that appeals to teenage girls more or less. They don't give a shit about Imax

I bet if Jennifer Lawrence was gushing about how amazing it looked in IMAX and how cool it was they'd suddenly care. ;)

But more to the point, shouldn't they be trying everything to maximize profits? What's the point (from a financial perspective) in shooting natively in IMAX anyway, if you're not trying to drive people to IMAX theaters?

• Like 5

Shooting in real IMAX becomes effectively neutered when 70% or more of the real IMAX screens get converted to shitty digital projection. Can't handle the resolution of IMAX film, nor can it project in the full aspect ratio of the real IMAX screens.

I hope the laser projection system they are going to have next year will be a good replacement for IMAX film projection. At a minimum it should be a lot better than the shitty digital projection right now.

• Like 3

Yes, there's technically a larger window (which theoretically a film with insane demand could fully use). But realistically, what's happened is that instead of a 12-4am window we now have a 8-12, 8-1am window. Overall total showtimes haven't really changed that much.

So, in that case HP8 does not have a clear advantage in retaining that OD record against movies released today. Is that correct?

Obviously CF is gonna have a huge weekend. That being said, I think Lionsgate screwed up in one area and theaters screwed up in another. This is a movie that has about the same amount of real IMAX footage as TDKR. That's tremendous, it's a clear highlight to really make the film stand out and feel big, epic, etc. Why on earth didn't Lionsgate really hammer this point home? It should've been a talking point for every single guest on a talk show. People need a reason to spend the extra money on IMAX, simply advertising it as "in IMAX" is meaningless.

I didn't even know CF was in Imax. :P

Well they did have an IMAX featurette and a few ads said "see it in IMAX" at the end.

But every movie says "see in in IMAX", and 95% of them are just up-convert jobs. You need to distinguish that this -- like TDK and TDKR -- has almost an hour of real IMAX footage. Making a featurette on YouTube about it isn't going to help -- you need to drive the general audience fans by hyping it up through the media they read/watch.

• Like 1

Shooting in real IMAX becomes effectively neutered when 70% or more of the real IMAX screens get converted to shitty digital projection. Can't handle the resolution of IMAX film, nor can it project in the full aspect ratio of the real IMAX screens.

I hope the laser projection system they are going to have next year will be a good replacement for IMAX film projection. At a minimum it should be a lot better than the shitty digital projection right now.

Yeah I saw it on regular screen and it was nothing special. Cannot wait to see it in IMAX, probably next week(end).

I bet if Jennifer Lawrence was gushing about how amazing it looked in IMAX and how cool it was they'd suddenly care. ;)

But more to the point, shouldn't they be trying everything to maximize profits? What's the point (from a financial perspective) in shooting natively in IMAX anyway, if you're not trying to drive people to IMAX theaters?

The first one did fairly well in IMAX and it was only in IMAX for a week because of Wrath of the Titans. Maybe they figured people would come back regardless of any special promotion.

So, in that case HP8 does not have a clear advantage in retaining that OD record against movies released today. Is that correct?

A movie today has a greater window to squeeze in showtimes, yes. What's missing is demand. Presumably the movie that'll finally beat DH2 will be in 3D, will probably be a sequel, and will have insane demand. The only two remotely possibilities right now are TA2 (probably not) and SW7 (we'll see how the hype for that goes).

I didn't even know CF was in Imax. :P

Exactly. :)

Edited by Telemachos

Same though. In Lubbock, we have freezing rain/ice/hail, and  I am scared. I just got to my sister's apartment, and we almost died in the bus because the bus had to come to a stop. :|

I was in Lubbock 2 weeks ago. The weather there seemed to suddenly change from being really pleasant to rain to hail within hours. I was driving to Levelland and then to the airport, was hoping that flights weren't delayed because of only a few flights which got me to a connection to LA.

I doubt SW7 will break the midnight record with a December release date. Now, if it was released in the middle of July, I would see it topping 40m with ease.

i doubt it as well. But i dont think we'll see midnight records being broken anymore. Day records are up for grabs though.

Edited by babz06

Lionsgate messed up in 2 areas IMO. 1. They didn't clearly market the IMAX. They could easily had the VO guy in the commercials say "with 1 hour of footage shot in IMAX. Catching Fire, rated PG-13, starts Thurdsay night everywhere". They couldve had posters and online ads, the whole shebang. But they didn't.

2. They didn't market the characters well. I have no idea who the new characters are because we didn't get any kind of reference to them. For non-fans, don't they want to know why the characters are important so they can decide whether to spend the money? Yes, we have Katniss, but other than her whats so great about the others? What can Finnick do? What is Peeta and Katniss' status? Lionsgate should have made this clear. That wouldve been a big way to get non-fans back. Its like Spiderman 2 - "I already saw Spiderman on the screen 2 years ago, so whats so special about this Doc Ock guy that I need to spend my money? Are MJ, Aunt May, and Harry all the same or will they be doing something different?". Not many people want to pay for the same thing again. Also, not necessarily Lionsgate's fault, but Suzanne C couldve written the books with a little more racial diversity as well.

Laser projection should be great. I can't wait.

Tell me more please.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 1

What are you talking about, Nikki says CF IMAX shows were up 28% over THG :ph34r:;)

• Like 1