Dementeleus

Nov 22-24 #s CF: $158,074,286 actual | Dark Knight triumphant after all

Problem with The World's End was they had a winner with the first act. I wanted to see the "dramedy" continue with them finishing the pub crawl. Felt like they changed their minds halfway and said, "Hey, let's make it an alien invasion movie instead! That would be cool, right?"

Wrong. It didn't need any of that. Up till the shift, Wright was seriously rivaling James L. Brooks in his prime.

• Like 1

Pegg is supposed to be immature and obnoxious selfish ass. But the bit at the end whe he reveals his cutted wrists. I got chills and realized how pathetic he was. That's what made this movie great, switching effortlessly between tones, scifi action comedy turning bittersweet drama without being sappy.

And the ending is really bittersweet. Aliens got bored by us humans because we're so idiotic and pathetic in our stubborness that they just give up "bettering" us. That's totally Douglas Adams worthy material.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

Funny, TITE for me is a mess full of self indulgence, phoney and unsurprising self referenced "jokes", Rihanna cameo please...It doesn't help that I don't worship the Rogen brat pack so...I'm not receptive and those actors playing themselves sound more pretentious and lazy bros caprice made after a wild party than funny and inspired satire.

TWE is less messy and more straight forward even if repetitive but emotional and hit the right notes especially if you're attached to those characters/actors. (Paddy Considine and Eddie Marsan FTW).

IMO.

That was always my perception of TITE. Just kind of a big circle jerk between those guys. Funny enough, I think I'm renting it tonight. Haven't seen it yet.

• Like 2

Pegg is supposed to be immature and obnoxious selfish ass. But the bit at the end whe he reveals his cut wrists. I got chills and realized how pathetic he was. That's what made this movie great, switching effortlessly between tones, scifi action comedy turning bittersweet drama without being sappy.

I agree, the emotional stuff in TWE was very well handled. 

• Like 3

Once again going strong ind DC and NYC, sellout block is starting around 6-7p.m. for most theaters once again but for the more popular venues, such as Regal Union Square and Regal Galaxy Place (DC), it started around 2-3p.m.

• Like 2

There's also a third apocalypse comedy this year with David Cross and Julia Stiles called It's a Disaster. Saw it on Netflix. It's almost like a stage play but really sharply written. I actually liked that better than TWE.

David Cross AND Julia Stiles?SOLD!

That was always my perception of TITE. Just kind of a big circle jerk between those guys. Funny enough, I think I'm renting it tonight. Haven't seen it yet.

I'm not a comedy guy, I don't think the genre can justify 90mins more often than not. Yet I thought TITE was the best movie of the summer.