Dementeleus

Nov 22-24 #s CF: $158,074,286 actual | Dark Knight triumphant after all

So with earlier preview times, it reduces the Friday number, but I don't understand why it would necessarily lead to an inflated Saturday, it's not just a trick or something, those Saturdays are genuinely big.

Yeah BD2 showed this, then IM3 and then Thor and CF is now 100% proof. 

I think this means the opening day number is not breaking for some time even TA2 seems doubtful.

Edited by Lordmandeep

Matching THG's Fri - Sun multiplier of 2.92 will yield a total of 422.0M (396.7M + 25.3M). That would put the overall multiplier at 2.62, but I'd encourage moving away from using that for any film that has significant midnight and/or Thursday preview gross, as it muddles the basis for comparison.

What was the Cinemascore for this?  With inflation and IMAX, 422M would put it in the vicinity of THG's attendance, so that doesn't seem all that out there to me, but for now, it's a higher end of expectations.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/11/24/catching-fire-tops-box-office-with-1611-million-opening-weekend/

That link tells me that the IMAX gross was 8% of the total, so that's 12.9M from IMAX over the weekend.  With 161.1M, that gives me OW attendance of 19.2M, so a 2.7% increase over THG (18.7M).  

• Like 1

I would love to see Decker get a 95 yard touchdown. 

I would love to see Decker do anything at this point. I'm so fucked right now. I can't believe this shit. This is worse than TDKR possibly losing the 2D OW record. This weekend has been heartbreaking. 

• Like 2

So with earlier preview times, it reduces the Friday number, but I don't understand why it would necessarily lead to an inflated Saturday, it's not just a trick or something, those Saturdays are genuinely big.

Well, if Friday is deflated, and Saturday performs normally, than Saturday will look huge compared to expectations after Friday won't it?

Hypothetical scenarios:

A

Without Thursday Previews, Film X opens to 45M on Friday, and we expect 10% increase to 49.5M

B

With Thursday Previews, Film X opens to 40M on Friday, and we expect 10% increase to 44.0M

However, in both scenarios, Film X actually has a 49.5M Saturday.  In scenario A, this seems normal, but in scenario B, this seems huge!  That's a 23.4% Saturday jump.  

Edited by spizzer
  • Like 1