lilmac

Monday Numbers (Actuals: Hunger Games-$3.4m, FRZ-$2.4m, Thor2-$0.53m, Homefront-$0.503m)

Nope not included anywhere else, other websites may be showing DOM as 12.750m or could have it same as DOM.

Basically if the distributor is different in USA and Canada sometimes the cume will include both and sometimes it will only be the USA total, Now to further complicate things there can be a different distributor in Quebec to the rest of Canada (so QC may/may not be included on top other, so you may have a cume that is just USA or USA/all of Canada or USA/Canada minus QC)

Is there any particular reason why Canada does not report their Box Office separate from the U.S.?

• Like 1

What happened to BOM? Why did they shut it down?

It was sold to IMDB and they wanted everyone to go to their forums, so they gave everyone free access to numbers, but shut down the BOM forum, including the derby and grades. And I think there were virus issues. 

Edited by Jandrew

And so is Shawn the big dog/owner of this site?

Yep. When BOM shut down, he started up a temporary forum called Mojo Refugees... that became a forum called Box Office Theory, and eventually that forum merged/was incorporated into boxoffice.com and became the forums here.

Yep. When BOM shut down, he started up a temporary forum called Mojo Refugees... that became a forum called Box Office Theory, and eventually that forum merged/was incorporated into boxoffice.com and became the forums here.

Wow. I never knew that. It really makes sense though, considering how well most of you get along and how you guys seem to really know each other personally. One day, I'll get on that level ;D

Is there any particular reason why Canada does not report their Box Office separate from the U.S.?

Always been that way Canada is just seen as a "branch" of USA so office in Toronto is just seen as branch of US same as an office in NYC, there are various reports available with just Canada BO (Canadian film mag Tribute use to publish just Canada gross but not anymore) QC has its on BO report.

When I use to do the BO report, I was frustrated when Canada (or just QC) was left off.. its like you include it all or not at all. I use to give Brandon corrections to BO which was excluding all of Canada or just QC, but I don't think he ever corrected or investigated any of them  (remembering though that other sites may/may not have included the missing figures,for example Rentrak Studio for original GWTDT does include Canada, the inclusion of itt of cause changed the week to week totals and where it ranks each week)

Edited by Rth
  • Like 5

Always been that way Canada is just seen as a "branch" of USA so office in Toronto is just seen as branch of US same as an office in NYC, there are various reports available with just Canada BO (Canadian film mag Tribute use to publish just Canada gross but not anymore) QC has its on BO report.When I use to do the BO report, I was frustrated when Canada (or just QC) was left off.. its like you include it all or not at all. I use to give Brandon corrections to BO which was excluding all of Canada or just QC, but I don't think he ever corrected or investigated any of them  (remembering though that other sites may/may not have included the missing figures,for example Rentrak Studio for original GWTDT does include Canada, the inclusion of itt of cause changed the week to week totals and where it ranks each week)

Are there any other markets where it's more than one country combined?

Always been that way Canada is just seen as a "branch" of USA so office in Toronto is just seen as branch of US same as an office in NYC, there are various reports available with just Canada BO (Canadian film mag Tribute use to publish just Canada gross but not anymore) QC has its on BO report.

When I use to do the BO report, I was frustrated when Canada (or just QC) was left off.. its like you include it all or not at all. I use to give Brandon corrections to BO which was excluding all of Canada or just QC, but I don't think he ever corrected or investigated any of them  (remembering though that other sites may/may not have included the missing figures,for example Rentrak Studio for original GWTDT does include Canada, the inclusion of itt of cause changed the week to week totals and where it ranks each week)

This stuff is gold. Thanks Rth.

Are there any other markets where it's more than one country combined?

Oh yeah a number

for example

Dom= USA & territories (Guam, Northern Marianas isl etc, PR some class PR as intl and not domestic) & Canada

South Africa is SA, Botswana, Namibia and few others

UK/Ireland is combined (you can get Ireland seperated). Gibraltar/Malta is included

France include Algeria and other French territories

NZ includes Fiji

pretty much all Central Am countries combined (quite often just listed as Panama)

others

Edited by Rth
  • Like 13

I considered joining the BOM forums many times between the years of 2008 and 2010. Looking back I'm really glad I just stayed an occasional lurker because if I look back on any of my posts from another couple of places I posted on I start to kind of hate my old self. I remember the only reason I ever found BO.com was because I thought Mojo's predict for TS3's OW (I think like $70m) and looked up others and just sort of found this site.

Oh yeah a number

for example

Dom= USA & territories (Guam, Northern Marianas isl etc, PR some class PR as intl and not domestic) & Canada

South Africa is SA, Botswana, Nambia and few others

UK/Ireland is combined (you can get Ireland seperated). Gibraltar/Malta is included

NZ includes Fiji

pretty much all Central Am countries combined (quite often just listed as Panama)

others

Hey, RTH, thanks for the info, I never knew this. I have a question though, how are cents figured in? Like say a movie ticket costs $8.75, yet grosses are like $10,032,202 - do they just round up to get a whole number? And kind of a more out there question - do you think every ticket is being accounted for? Or are there possibly some theaters, etc. that end up not being counted at times?

Oh yeah a number

for example

South Africa is SA, Botswana, Namibia and few others

NZ includes Fiji

others

Wow, you're BO knowledge is unmatched. Thank you for what you do for us.  :worthy:  :worthy:  :worthy:

Oh yeah a numberfor exampleDom= USA & territories (Guam, Northern Marianas isl etc, PR some class PR as intl and not domestic) & CanadaSouth Africa is SA, Botswana, Namibia and few othersUK/Ireland is combined (you can get Ireland seperated). Gibraltar/Malta is includedFrance include Algeria and other French territoriesNZ includes Fijipretty much all Central Am countries combined (quite often just listed as Panama)others

We are but mere mortals
  • Like 1