Impact

2011 Best Picture Predicts

Wow, Changeling and Gran Torino are both AWFUL films IMHO.

What on earth?

Changeling was one of the best films of the last decade, hands down. It's an emotional rollercoaster and features one of my favorite female performances ever. A huge achievement for Eastwood and Jolie.

The Artist is Oscar-bait 101. Just because black-and-white and/or silent films are rare doesn't mean that when one comes along that it's any less the Oscar bait for it.

Except that it was produced and made before Weinstein got his hands on it, and the previous films by the producing/directing team are goofy spy James Bond parodies. Not exactly Oscar-bait. Now, when Harvey saw it, perhaps he had a feeling he could push it to Oscar glory, but honestly if there's an Oscar-bait film in the Weinstein stable right now, it's always been IRON LADY.

THE ARTIST is a glorious trifle. It may not be worthy of Best Picture (I don't think it will win, at this point), but it's tremendously entertaining and easy, lighthearted fun.

Anyway - PREDICTION

1. War Horse

2. The Artist

3. The Descendants

4. Hugo

5. The Help

6. Moneyball

7. Midnight in Paris

^I'm almost certain that these are basically the best picture nominees, however, if it were to go further-

8. Bridesmaids

9. The Tree of Life

10. The Ides of March

11. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

12. Drive

13. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

14. ???

15. ???

I don't know why Changeling has such a shitty RT score and got snubbed during that entire award season. It was better than Frost/Nixon anyway (wtf was that shit and how was it nominated for best picture, this was like a boring documentary, put me to sleep), on par with Milk, and I haven't seen The Reader but have heard it's truly terrible.

Gran Torino on the other hand, never got the hype for that. Those Hmung kids' acting was truly cringeworthingy.

Edited by rockNrollaDIM

2008 was a poor year for Oscar nominees. Great films came out like In Bruges, WALL-E, The Dark Knight, The Wrester, Revolutionary Road, yet none were represented in the Best Picture race. My favorite from that lot was Milk, and Milk wasn't that great.

2008 was a poor year for Oscar nominees. Great films came out like In Bruges, WALL-E, The Dark Knight, The Wrester, Revolutionary Road, yet none were represented in the Best Picture race. My favorite from that lot was Milk, and Milk wasn't that great.

True. That year, I would've liked to have seen, using current rules:

The Dark Knight

In Bruges

Benjamin Button

Changeling

The Wrestler

Slumdog Millionaire

My picks would've been

Bolt

The Dark Knight

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Hellboy 2

In Bruges

Man On Wire

Pineapple Express

Revolutionary Road

WALL-E

The Wrestler

That's a full ten! And realistically I'm sure some of those films would have no chance :lol:

Gran Torino is very overrated, but Changeling is solid, IMO.

And frankly, The Artist seems the least oscar-baity of the 5 films that TWC is putting up for contention.

Finally, glad someone else is a fan of Bolt, Dr. Linus.

Edited by Spaghetti

Well I do wish that more popular films could make it in....

Why? Are we handing out People's Choice or Scream Awards? I think a tiny film like Take Shelter, which blows away almost everything I've seen this year, deserves nods over more "popular" fare.

Or a non R rated film :P

Well since ROTK only Slumdog and TKS have been non depressing winners.

Also whatever wins someone has to have died. Remember the last film where none of the characters died in was A Beautiful Mind (Though techincally someone did, but it was not a real person-so if you include that...I have no idea what the last would of been)