Impact

2011 Best Picture Predicts

I strongly disagree with you. This year is very exciting. There's not a lock for the win, and the race even for the nominations is wide open. It's very interesting! Last year everything was pretty much closed! We knew what would be the 10 nominees and which film would win.

Also, as I read on your site, you still have to see The Artist, The descendants or Midnight in Paris among other contenders. How can you say bleh year without seeing them?

He saw Artist.

• Founder / Operator

I strongly disagree with you. This year is very exciting. There's not a lock for the win, and the race even for the nominations is wide open. It's very interesting! Last year everything was pretty much closed! We knew what would be the 10 nominees and which film would win.

Also, as I read on your site, you still have to see The Artist, The descendants or Midnight in Paris among other contenders. How can you say bleh year without seeing them?

I've seen Artist and Descendants now. My opinion still stands that its a "bleh" year. I thoroughly enjoyed Descendants (and certain aspects of Artist)...but the inevitable winner (Artist) is overrated in my opinion.

And, I'm not sure what you mean...this is the closest year we've had to a "lock" for a winner in a long time. Anything can happen, of course, but The Artist's only real competition is Hugo and it has little chance of winning.

Edited by ShawnMR

Descendants feels like this year's Up In the Air. The Artist is just too perfect for the Academy. If it wins, it'll be the most predictable Best Picture winner in a long time. If it loses, it would be the most shocking loss since...I don't know, maybe Saving Private Ryan?

Agreed what a boring year.

As Shawn said, this year The Artist is all but a lock. The only way that will change is if we see either a DGA or SAG upset. Otherwise, The Artist will win, and I don't think it will win just Best Picture, I see it potentially getting up to 8 awards.

I can't believe shitty ass movies like extremely loud get nominated for best picture when not a single Harry Potter film was ever nominated and they ALL had higher ratings. I haven't seen one person on the board say they like that film and it gets an Oscar nom. Unbelievable.

Well, at least 5 percent of the Academy liked it. Anyway, I haven't heard too many on these boards chiming in and saying they have seen it either. It seems only a few people have watched it so far. But, yah, it is quit interesting that it got in. But, unlike others, I am not shocked. I don't know why, but I figured with lack of good nom choices except Hugo and The Artist, the Academy would vote on a punch of random stuff and that seems to be what happened. I guess the lack of strong films made it so I wasn't surprised by it getting nominated. If this was 2012 and TDKR got snubbed and it got in, then I would be shocked.

Edited by CloneWars

If this was 2012 and TDKR got snubbed and it got in, then I would be shocked.

It would be the same thing as DH2 getting snubbed. You can't really say it would be different since we don't know how good TDKR will be yet.

Which is more deserving of a best picture nom do you think, Extremely Loud or DH2?

It would be the same thing as DH2 getting snubbed. You can't really say it would be different since we don't know how good TDKR will be yet.

Which is more deserving of a best picture nom do you think, Extremely Loud or DH2?

No, DH2 had nothing go for it except being the last Potter film. Nolan has a strong resume behind him plus everything else that others have stated about coming off of Inception and TDK and the Academy changing the rules, etc. etc. etc.

Now, for Potter. First, DH2 is half a movie and the first half wasn't nominated for BP. Second of all, the first half is probably the better of film. Third of all, the films are of mixed quality, some better than others and some worse than others. Nolan is consistent. Also, the film series as a whole doesn't deserve to get a BP nom because most of the past Potter films aren't worthy of such a nomination. And, on its own, I don't think DH2 stands that well. You need to watch at least DH1 with DH2 to get maximum enjoyment out of it. I can very much see why it got snubbed. I kind of makes a lot of sense that it did when you think about it.

Edited by CloneWars

No, DH2 had nothing go for it except being the last Potter film. Nolan has a strong resume behind him plus everything else that others have stated about coming off of Inception and TDK and the Academy changing the rules, etc. etc. etc.

First of all I don't understand that last part about the rule change. What does that have to do with Nolan?

Second of all, DH2 had everything going for it. Besides being the final film in a series that has made more money then any series before it, it also managed to get outstanding reviews for all 8 films. Before you say money doesn't mean anything, I will tell you this: Will 8 movies in a row all make 795m+ WW if audiences didn't like them? And before you say the film series had a huge fan base, then why did all the movies get such great reviews also? It seems like the only people that didn't like these movies were the snobby award committees.

Nolan may have a strong resume, but that doesn't mean TDKR will get nominated for best picture. I really don't understand how you can compare a movie that hasn't even been released yet to DH2. You don't even know if the movie will be good yet.

Besides all that, I was talking about the films, not their directors. There was no reason to drag Nolan into this.

First of all I don't understand that last part about the rule change. What does that have to do with Nolan?

Second of all, DH2 had everything going for it. Besides being the final film in a series that has made more money then any series before it, it also managed to get outstanding reviews for all 8 films. Before you say money doesn't mean anything, I will tell you this: Will 8 movies in a row all make 795m+ WW if audiences didn't like them? And before you say the film series had a huge fan base, then why did all the movies get such great reviews also? It seems like the only people that didn't like these movies were the snobby award committees.

Nolan may have a strong resume, but that doesn't mean TDKR will get nominated for best picture. I really don't understand how you can compare a movie that hasn't even been released yet to DH2. You don't even know if the movie will be good yet.

Besides all that, I was talking about the films, not their directors. There was no reason to drag Nolan into this.

If you are going to make a case against TDKR, then yes, Nolan has to be dragged into it. Because let's face it, it's about Nolan. And, I'm saying if TDKR is as good as Inception and TDK then it will get the nom. If it sucks, then of course it won't get a BP nom. I'm surprised you are asking what this has to do with Nolan. TDKR getting a nom has everything to do with Nolan.

Anyway, DH2 had a lot going for it, but not quite the backlash that has happened for Nolan. People were okay with DH1 not getting the nom. The other 6 never got BP noms and no one complained or felt the other six deserved a BP nom. People felt TDK was robbed of BP/BD noms. The next year as result, the Academy changes the rules to nominate more movies so films like TDK stand a chance at getting a nom. Last year, Inception gets a BP nom but gets snubbed for BD. As a result, all hell breaks lose over the Internet. Thus, creating even more momentum in favor of Nolan and TDKR. DH2 never had that kind of momentum behind it.

I would also like to add that Nolan has had the most DGA nominations without a single BD nom. This further fuels TDKR chances at a BP nom because the Academy now is under a lot of pressure to nominate him for director, and if Nolan gets in for director, then his film for sure is getting a BP nom.

Edited by CloneWars

If you are going to make a case against TDKR, then yes, Nolan has to be dragged into it. Because let's face it, it's about Nolan. And, I'm saying if TDKR is as good as Inception and TDK then it will get the nom. If it sucks, then of course it won't get a BP nom. I'm surprised you are asking what this has to do with Nolan. TDKR getting a nom has everything to do with Nolan.

Anyway, DH2 had a lot going for it, but not quite the backlash that has happened for Nolan. People were okay with DH1 not getting the nom. The other 6 never got BP noms and no one complained or felt the other six deserved a BP nom. People felt TDK was robbed of BP/BD noms. The next year as result, the Academy changes the rules to nominate more movies so films like TDK stand a chance at getting a nom. Last year, Inception gets a BP nom but gets snubbed for BD. As a result, all hell breaks lose over the Internet. Thus, creating even more momentum in favor of Nolan and TDKR. DH2 never had that kind of momentum behind it.

I would also like to add that Nolan has had the most DGA nominations without a single BD nom. This further fuels TDKR chances at a BP nom because the Academy now is under a lot of pressure to nominate him for director, and if Nolan gets in for director, then his film for sure is getting a BP nom.

I didn't fully understand why you brought him up before, but we are on the same page now.

For the record, if TDKR is as good as TDK and gets snubbed again, I will rage about that as well. :P

If TDKR is as good as TDK and doesn't get a BP nomination, I will assume the members of the academy are all possessed by demons and hire an exorcist to rid the evil out of their souls. If the exorcist gets there before an angry mob attacks them all, that is.

Warrior and 50/50.

Now stop moaning, harry potter made a ton of money. If your gonna show sympathy towards a film, 50/50 and warrior should get it, they earned next to nothing and had not even one Oscar nomination yet both films were better than DH2 and ELIC.

Warrior and 50/50.

Now stop moaning, harry potter made a ton of money. If your gonna show sympathy towards a film, 50/50 and warrior should get it, they earned next to nothing and had not even one Oscar nomination yet both films were better than DH2 and ELIC.

Very true. I don't feel bad about DH2 missing out at all. I know it had 98% or whatever on RT but I guess my personal dissapointment with it (especially compared to DH1) makes me less sympathetic... films like Shame, Warrior, 50/50, Drive, Dragon Tattoo... all more deserving IMO. But then these films are all more deserving than the current nominees, and DH2 is more deserving than several of the nominees as well- so I guess if the nominees were based on my choices, DH2 might have had a shot.

I don't think it's been a down year so much as the Academy simply isn't on the same level as most viewing audiences. And this applies even to film buffs, as I would argue most would want the likes of Drive and 50/50 to receive more attention and the likes of EL&IC and War Horse to be forgotten. Don't get me wrong, I liked War Horse, but a nomination for BP is laughable, and once again shows the Academy can't look past politics in its selections.

I think the quality of film this year is on par with last, but the award selections are definitely boring.

Edited by mattmav45