CoolioD1

Weekend Estimates: The Hobbit - 73.6M | Frozen - 22.2M | Madea - 16M

How is that possible? Standard HFR 3D looked like an entirely different movie to me.

Unless they are lying and that is standard IMAX 3D, there is almost no difference. I really don't care, since I LOVED the movie in whatever IMAX version that was.

EDIT: I never saw any movie in standard HFR 3D.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

if you see it in 3D you might as well see it in IMAX

Unless he wants to save $5-10, heh.

Personally, I'm getting over IMAX movies if they aren't filmed native. The difference in experience just usually isn't quite enough from RPX and BigD to justify paying twice as much per ticket, IMO.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 2

I would say it is slightly over in the places where they are offering 3D and 2D. Even if people don't get 2D tickets because it is sold out, since they are already in the theater, they will see it in 3D. HFR 3D and IMAX HFR 3D are amazingly well. Problem is in the smaller theaters, and there are many, they are not offering 2D at night. Last year they did that at every theater. I remember my local theater had the 2 360 screens sold out at Saturday and Friday night. This year they didn't sold out there only 3D show at Friday night. Those theaters are way down from last year.

• Founder / Operator

at the AMC near me the IMAX 3D ticket price is 15.75 and the regular 3D is 13.75. 

Glad I don't live where you do.

At my theaters it's only about six to eight bucks without 3D.

With or without 3D, I usually pay $18-20 for IMAX.

• Like 3

2D Student - 5.50€ (Adult - 6.50€)3D Student - 7€ (Adult - 8€)IMAX (2D or 3D) - 10€

myZONcard Pay 1 Take 2 - 3.30€ (half of Adult ticket, I and most people in this country usually use this one, shame it is not valid for IMAX) 

I payed $14.75 for digital IMAX earlier this year for Man of Steel. It was 2D. And a matinee. Honestly it wasn't really worth it.

I'll probably only go see another IMAX film if it's in 70mm. Everyone says that is a ridiculously huge difference so I might be willing to chalk over extra for that (maybe with Interstellar) but I sure as hell won't be paying for a slightly bigger screen with somewhat lackluster lighting.

That said the sound was fantastic.

Are all digital IMAX's "LieMAX's"? The MoS screening I was at the size of the screen was bigger than your normal theater screen but it definitely didn't cover my entire peripheral vision and we were sitting fairly close.