Shawn Robbins

Wednesday #s: ANCHORMAN 2 8.1M/ It's in a glass case of emotion / Hobbit (4.855m) / CF (1.243m)

Soo my SCHOOL MASCOT dressed up as Ron Burgundy and paraded around the campus of 11,000 apparently....no matter how good or bad the numbers are, you have to admit this marketing campaign is freaking A+. I've never something like this.

Posted Image

#cougars

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 3

How about this?  Let'w wait to see what Anchorman is at after next weekend.  Something tells me that this will be a film that will be steady all holidays.  I'm surprised the OD wasn't bigger too, but that doesn't mean this will not do well over the next 17 days.  If this finishes with 140-150 mill, it doesn;t matter how it gets there, it is still a very good number.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

That always happens with fanboy movies that "disappoint". Some folks always act like they knew all long that it wouldn't live up to expectations.

That's the fun part about box office; you never know for sure, you only act like you do. :)

Gotta agree here. I try to turn it into a positive. Every time I miss a call, it's a learning experience. Even the good calls are learning experiences.

Love the 20/20 revisionist history going on already by some here. Anchorman 2 was the sequel to the most beloved and quoted comedy of the past 20 years. The first one wasn't just a cult classic- it turned into a cultural sensation. AM2 was incredibly well marketed and insanely hyped- one of the most anticipated comedy sequels ever. It didn't get bad reviews, either. Of course, it could still pick up and be huge. But to say that it was always just an "overpredicted fanboy movie" is ridiculous. 

And contrary to popular belief, Anchorman was a solid box-office hit ($85M domestic gross). It just didn't fully explode until home video. But that and Elf were the two theatrical hits that made Will Ferrell a movie-star.

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 3

I do think it's hard to compare them, though. The Hangover had the slight advantage of releasing during what's become a comedy renaissance at the box office. Back in 2004, Anchorman was kinda stuck between that and the Austin Powers era. It's home video sales helped make up for it, though.

Hangover was massive on home video too. The size of its sequel's opening is a testament to how big of an impact that film made. I would also argue Meet The Parents had a bigger impact than Anchorman.

• Like 2

• Founder / Operator

And contrary to popular belief, Anchorman was a solid box-office hit ($85M domestic gross). It just didn't fully explode until home video. But that and Elf were the two theatrical hits that made Will Ferrell a movie-star.

Not to mention Old School. He was a supporting character, but he was the guy people were quoting most after it came out in early 2003.

• Founder / Operator

Hangover was massive on home video too. The size of its sequel's opening is a testament to how big of an impact that film made. I would also argue Meet The Parents had a bigger impact than Anchorman.

Agreed in terms of impact at the time of release, but I think Anchorman is becoming a more stable fixture in pop culture as time goes on (compared to Parents/Fockers).

• Like 2

Agreed in terms of impact at the time of release, but I think Anchorman is becoming a more stable fixture in pop culture as time goes on (compared to Parents/Fockers).

No question about that. Wedding Crashers is another one that has had a long shelf life. TBS plays it seemingly every weekend.

• Like 1