Alpha

In what ways could the MPAA rating system be changed?

My article on the R rating! http://jaysonb593.blogspot.com/2013/01/r-in-its-entirety.html Everything yall are saying I said back in January, but im glad we all have the same ideas. The MPAA is a joke and needs new management. It also needs to handled by a board or people who work in the industry, not parents. 

I think G, PG, PG-13, and R are fine, but there needs to be something in between. Like an SC-15 or PG-15. The issue isnt mainly PG-13 IMO, its R. The R rating is too broad. Something like Argo or King Speech shouldn't be lumped with Hangover or Wolf of WS. Then again a movie like TDK or Hunger Games is a little too dark for the PG-13, but R would be suicide.

Something like PG-15 would do justice. Kids under 15 cant go alone, but anyone over 15 can, and if youre under 15 you have to be with someone who is atleast 17/18 - NOT 21, but any age could go alone to PG-13, and then R would be no one under 17, or you could raise to 18. Then movies like Paranormal Activity, which is R because they say fuck like 9 times, could really utilized the audience its intended for. R would be for true adult films, and PG/SC-15 would be for movies that are too much for PG-13 but not adult enough for R, like TDK, PA, or Argo. NC-17 you really could get rid of.

Its funny that games like GTA, COD, Assassins Creed, and etc. have R rated content, but children plays those willingly, but yet the F-word in a movie 4 times is too much? Ted is movie catered for 15 and 16 year olds, but yet they cant go without their parents? But their parents will still buy them Ted for Xmas? Thats dumb. The MPAA needs to realize that kids aren't the flower childs they think they are. Spend a day in an average MIDDLE school and youll be surprised at how much profanity, sex talk, drug talk, and violent talk youll hear. Not justifying that as a reason they should see it, but a movie like Ted shouldnt be restricting 16 year olds when the content is nothing new to them. Call of Duty is worse than Argo or PA, but 9-year olds will be unwrapping that on Wednesday. Movies are no different, ya meen? Same with todays TV and music. Bring in the PG-15. Just do it.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 1

I agree with Panda's suggestion. It's actually quite similar to Common Sense Media. I'd probably add an Orange rating that cautions parents that the movie may not be appropriate for children under that age.

That's who I got the idea from, I just expanded it a little bit.  Honestly, Common Sense Media should replace the MPAA, they'd do a much better job.

It depends for G and PG for kids films.

I remember my little cousins were freaking out in the end of TS3 during the fire scene.

That was a rather emotionally heavy animation film. 

Even I found it a bit intense.. It was not to much it actually made the film memorable.

I actually thought they were going to die lol 

Edited by Lordmandeep