Films

Wicked: Part 1 | November 22, 2024 | Jon M Chu to direct | Ariana Grande is Galinda. Cynthia Erivo is Elphaba

I think Wicked as a musical is more of an Elphaba showcase (I see more "Rank the Elphabas", "How many Elphabas have you personally seen?", etc. type posts on Broadway forums than for Glinda) but the choice here seems more about Oscar politics than a smaller role for Ariana. Let's see if the Globes will go along with the campaign, they have rejected Supporting fraud before but it's been a few years (Rooney Mara and Alicia Vikander).

Idina and Kristin were both Leading at the Tonys:

10 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I think Wicked as a musical is more of an Elphaba showcase (I see more "Rank the Elphabas", "How many Elphabas have you personally seen?", etc. type posts on Broadway forums than for Glinda) but the choice here seems more about Oscar politics than a smaller role for Ariana. Let's see if the Globes will go along with the campaign, they have rejected Supporting fraud before but it's been a few years (Rooney Mara and Alicia Vikander).

Idina and Kristin were both Leading at the Tonys:

Tony voters thought they were so edgy by rewarding Avenue Q over Wicked. 

10 hours ago, Speedorito said:

The skill difference between her and the “other” potential nominees is gonna wider than the Grand Canyon.

It's musical comedy category we're talking about and they extended the category into six names.

If the movie is acclaimed and a hit ariana being nominated It's not this thing out of the world 

No one says ariana can be casted on a Scorsese movie in a serious role and She is a great actress but this is a very specifically role so She could simply work. 

What goes against her is Erivo is there too but more than that imo Lady Gaga is there. If they want a big popstar in a musical to be there i guess gaga is the name. At least joker isn't a big flop and Wicked turns into a late box office hit exactly in the momentum GG voteres decide the names.

Edited by vale9001

57 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

It's musical comedy category we're talking about and they extended the category into six names.

If the movie is acclaimed and a hit ariana being nominated It's not this thing out of the world 

No one says ariana can be casted on a Scorsese movie in a serious role and She is a great actress but this is a very specifically role so She could simply work. 

What goes against her is Erivo is there too but more than that imo Lady Gaga is there. If they want a big popstar in a musical to be there i guess gaga is the name. At least joker isn't a big flop and Wicked turns into a late box office hit exactly in the momentum GG voteres decide the names.

The Oscars don’t have a musical comedy category. They’d be campaigning her against people like Zoe Saldaña and Tilda Swinton. Even the Globes aren’t super lenient in that category. Two-time Oscar winner Emma Stone won lead actress in that category this year. Let’s not pretend Ariana is on their level.

I like her and I’m looking forward to Wicked but…let’s be for real. Only her stans would believe she has anything more than a snowball’s chance in hell of getting any awards nods for this role (or any role) lol

Edited by Speedorito
  • Like 1