iceroll

BOT's 36 Worst Films of All Time - Ceremony Complete! Master List on Page 1.

I liked Puss in Boots. as much as the next guy, but I can think of at least 5 animated films released that year which I preferred. 

Obviously not. The real 'Worst Films of All Time' are probably flicks we've never seen, or shall ever see.

This is more a 'Worst Films of All Time that people here have actually watched'.

The rule by the OP was that you had to see at least about 30 minutes of a movie in order to vote on it. For me, that disqualified some movies that would have easily made my list, but I just couldn't get through enough of some movies to vote on them. Then, there were other movies that I knew to avoid because I knew they would be horrible.

All we could vote on were movies that we saw at least about 30 minutes of. That does limit what a person can vote on. However, I do think that it was a good rule. It avoids people voting on movies that they think they would despise, but may actually not despise that much if they saw them, or may even end up liking the movies.

Edited by Walt Disney

The basic problem is that most people are not masochists and will not deliberately seek out terrible films. So the films that tend to occupy lists like this are films like Pearl Harbor or Dude Where's my Car (don't even get me started on Citizen Kane, 2001 or Mulholland Dr. lol) which sure, are quite terrible films, but they are still at least competently made. They have budgets. They have actors and not just the directors mum. If Pearl Harbor is one of the worst films you have ever seen, than congratulations because you have avoided true stinkers in your life-time. 

The truly terrible films, films like

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

if people even come across them, take one look and know to avoid unless they enjoy pain. Its the movies with some budget, that could put together a slick trailer or have named actors that you might go 'yeah I enjoyed movie X with them, this could go well' are the movies that people will actually see and hence vote for. Even if there are plenty worse out there.

• Like 5

The basic problem is that most people are not masochists and will not deliberately seek out terrible films. So the films that tend to occupy lists like this are films like Pearl Harbor or Dude Where's my Car (don't even get me started on Citizen Kane, 2001 or Mulholland Dr. lol) which sure, are quite terrible films, but they are still at least competently made. They have budgets. They have actors and not just the directors mum. If Pearl Harbor is one of the worst films you have ever seen, than congratulations because you have avoided true stinkers in your life-time.

The truly terrible films, films like

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

if people even come across them, take one look and know to avoid unless they enjoy pain. Its the movies with some budget, that could put together a slick trailer or have named actors that you might go 'yeah I enjoyed movie X with them, this could go well' are the movies that people will actually see and hence vote for. Even if there are plenty worse out there.

It's the worst that people have seen though, and I rank a movie much more poorly if it's horrible and made me think it'd be good (Man of Steel, The Hobbit) than if it's horrible but I went in knowing it'd probably be terrible.

It's the worst that people have seen though

You hit the nail on the head. It's the same as when people vote for the best movie of all-time. it's always going to be the best that they have seen. The same thing applies to a worst movie of all-time list.

Edited by Walt Disney

I liked Puss in Boots. as much as the next guy, but I can think of at least 5 animated films released that year which I preferred. 

Uhh... I'm not a huge fan (although I like it) of Puss in Boots, but 2011 was an horrendous year for animation. The only three off the top of my head that were better than Puss that year was Rango, Tintin, and KFP2

Uhh... I'm not a huge fan (although I like it) of Puss in Boots, but 2011 was an horrendous year for animation. The only three off the top of my head that were better than Puss that year was Rango, Tintin, and KFP2

Add Arthur Christmas, From up on Poppy Hill and Winnie the Pooh and you've got my list (since I forgot Rango). And that's only including the major releases.

And I don't think 2011 was a bad film for animation. Sure it had no massive standouts and definitely had a tough act to follow after 2010, but it had a lot of good films. Admittedly, it also had Cars 2, but that and Gnomeo and Juliet are the only major releases that sucked. Heck, as far as mainstream releases go, I'd call it better than 2012 (although only slightly) and 2013. 

Add Arthur Christmas, From up on Poppy Hill and Winnie the Pooh and you've got my list (since I forgot Rango). And that's only including the major releases.

And I don't think 2011 was a bad film for animation. Sure it had no massive standouts and definitely had a tough act to follow after 2010, but it had a lot of good films. Admittedly, it also had Cars 2, but that and Gnomeo and Juliet are the only major releases that sucked. Heck, as far as mainstream releases go, I'd call it better than 2012 (although only slightly) and 2013. 

Didn't see Arthur Christmas or Poppy Hill, but I'm ashamed I forgot Pooh. Love that movie

You hit the nail on the head. It's the same as when people vote for the best movie of all-time. it's always going to be the best that they have seen. The same thing applies to a worst movie of all-time list.

Let me put it another way. Imagine how silly a list of best movies ever made would look, if you spent your movie going experience trying to avoid good movies. This is how silly in my eyes, a worst movies list looks like when most people try to avoid the truly bad films. Obviously you can only rate the movies that you see, but as we try to seek out movies that we will find enjoyable, we are going to see a lot more great films, than the truly bottom of the barrel. 

Edited by Spottswoode

#26,16 points (14 rank sum):

A Sound of Thunder

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Synopsis

When a hunter sent back to the prehistoric era runs off the path he must not leave, he causes a chain reaction that alters history in disastrous ways.

Member blurb

Electric:

I've always loved time travel movies, but I despised the "time waves" used in this movie. I've always preferred time travel like in Back To The Future. In here, the world doesn't change instantly with everyone outside of the time traveler(s) aware of it... it comes back the same, but "time waves" strike.. first the weather gets too warm and new plants come out... then there are some weird gorilla-dinosaurs. And the "time wave" concept wasn't even in the original short story this is "based" on.

Critic blurb

Scott Brown, Entertainment Weekly:
So perfect in its awfulness, it makes one seriously consider a theory of unintelligent design.

Trivia

One major reason for the film's long delay is that the original production company went bankrupt during post-production, and there simply wasn't money to finish the film.

Edited by Catching Iceroll
  • Like 2

Let me put it another way. Imagine how silly a list of best movies ever made would look, if you spent your movie going experience trying to avoid good movies. This is how silly in my eyes, a worst movies list looks like when most people try to avoid the truly bad films. Obviously you can only rate the movies that you see, but as we try to seek out movies that we will find enjoyable, we are going to see a lot more great films, than the truly bottom of the barrel. 

It depends. Sometimes movies that you will see will be based on the recommendations of others. They could turn out to be good or bad. Or, you could end up seeing a movie late at night on TV and it turned out to bad.

You can only vote on the movies that you have seen. That is what each individual brings to the table....their own experience and opinion. When it comes to the best movies of all-time, people don't always seek out the best movies. They seek out the most popular movies or the ones that someone they trust recommends. Yet, they have no problem voting for the best movies of all-time, despite not seeing some great movies. The same thing happens on a worst movies of all-time list.

#26,16 points (14 rank sum):

A Sound of Thunder

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Synopsis

When a hunter sent back to the prehistoric era runs off the path he must not leave, he causes a chain reaction that alters history in disastrous ways.

Member blurb

Electric:

I've always loved time travel movies, but I despised the "time waves" used in this movie. I've always preferred time travel like in Back To The Future. In here, the world doesn't change instantly with everyone outside of the time traveler(s) aware of it... it comes back the same, but "time waves" strike.. first the weather gets too warm and new plants come out... then there are some weird gorilla-dinosaurs. And the "time wave" concept wasn't even in the original short story this is "based" on.

Critic blurb

Scott Brown, Entertainment Weekly:

So perfect in its awfulness, it makes one seriously consider a theory of unintelligent design.

Trivia

One major reason for the film's long delay is that the original production company went bankrupt during post-production, and there simply wasn't money to finish the film.

Okay that's a shitty movie
  • Like 1

#25,16 points (10 rank sum):

Heavy Metal (1981)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Synopsis

A glowing orb terrorizes a young girl with a collection of stories of dark fantasy, eroticism and horror.

Member blurb

Electric:

Hideous and grotesque without being engaging whatsoever.

Critic blurb

Derek Adams, Time Out:
Fantasies that are gratuitously sexist and Fascist (macho whoring and warmongering), and whose roots reach all the way back to post-hippie paranoia, feed the tangled plot-lines of a movie that... should disappoint even the teenage wet-dreamers.

Trivia

The film was inspired by a long-running science fiction magazine of the same name, which began in Europe as Metal Hurlant. Most of the story segments are based on stories or characters featured in the magazine.

This one was on a lot of lists but at lower ranks, probably gonna cause some controversy too.

#24,17 points (80 rank sum):

Batman Returns

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Synopsis

When a corrupt businessman and the grotesque Penguin plot to take control of Gotham City, only Batman can stop them, while the Catwoman has her own agenda.

Member blurb

k1stpierre:

Sorry, but I really didn't like this Batman. First....really? The main villian is like, a penguin lover? Or is half Penguin? Am I getting this right? That was dumb for me, villian was a joke. Catwoman was decent, probably the only bright spot in the film. The story was boring/terrible for me. I hated this batman, easily the worst one. D overall, 4/10

Critic blurb

Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times:
Odd and sad, but not exhilarating.

Trivia

According to casting director Marion Dougherty, Tim Burton was reportedly uncomfortable with casting Christopher Walken as Max Shreck. When she asked him why he said, "Because that man scares the hell out of me."

• Like 2

#23,17 points (48 rank sum):

The Cat in the HatPosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Synopsis

Sally and Conrad are two bored kids whose life is turned up-side-down when a talking cat comes to visit them.

Critic blurb

Charles Taylor, Salon.com:
The best argument yet made for extending artists' rights beyond the grave.

Trivia

As a result of this film, Audrey Geisel, the widow of Dr. Seuss decided to reject any consequent live-action adaptations of her husband's work claiming that this film differed from her late husband's Family Friendly Material.

• Like 1