LexJoker

Monday #s (12/30) 'HAPPY NEW YEAR'

I've been a lurker for quite some time... butI had to create an account...... I'm blown away by Frozen's numbers. I keep waiting for it to drop, but it just doesn't. So glad Disney was brave enough to return to musicals. That's what's been missing from animation the last decade, good original music. The fact that the Frozen Album is number 2 on iTunes right now is proof that people were hungry for something like this.

Welcome to the forums!

Planes 2 was erased from schedule and kids now apparently dislike Transformers. Also, GotG turned into an animation movie somewhere during production.

Lol, how in the hell did I mix up Guardians as an animated movie there?  :lol:  I must have been combining it with Big Hero 6. Anyways its only direct competition all summer is Planes, which is weak competition. Transformers are only "kids films" in the 9-12 boy demo. They're certainly not primarily kid's films.

• Like 1

That wasn't directly inspired by Walt Disney's Snow White though, just the original fairytale. In this case though, Maleficent and related characters are from Disney's Sleeping Beauty.

We need to see a rating for Maleficent before we know how much it's targeting kids. To me the marketing so far has been invoking more of an older audience. Maleficent is the scariest villain Disney has, so I could easily see it going PG-13.

Transformers are only "kids films" in the 9-12 boy demo. They're certainly not primarily kid's films.

You're right, but I think HTTYD probably skews a bit more towards older kids than something like Frozen or Finding Nemo, so there is some crossover there. It's reasonable to say that TF4 will have at least some sort of effect on HTTYD2.

But without a doubt, the animation slate for summer 2014 is a lot more open then what we saw in summer 2013. HTTYD2 has clear sailing (relatively speaking) compared to what we saw in 2013.

We need to see a rating for Maleficent before we know how much it's targeting kids. To me the marketing so far has been invoking more of an older audience. Maleficent is the scariest villain Disney has, so I could easily see it going PG-13.

Time will tell of course, but I don't expect Maleficent to be as much of an action film as SWATH was.

STILL, the overlap will be there. TASM2 seems more comedic than TASM and Spider-Man has far more kiddie appeal than Thor so that may have good legs among the family demographic come the summer holidays. The aforementioned Transformers is there too. 

STILL, the overlap will be there. TASM2 seems more comedic than TASM and Spider-Man has far more kiddie appeal than Thor so that may have good legs among the family demographic come the summer holidays. The aforementioned Transformers is there too. 

But none are primarily kid's movies is the point. Kid's 8 and under especially will be left with Dragons and Planes as the only options all summer. Dragon will benefit from that just like Frozen is now, provided it also has good WOM.

But none are primarily kid's movies is the point. Kid's 8 and under especially will be left with Dragons and Planes as the only options all summer. Dragon will benefit from that just like Frozen is now, provided it also has good WOM.

Let's see. Still think Dragon's actual quality will be the main deciding factor when it comes to its holds though, just as Frozen's is. ;)