Neo

War For The Planet Of The Apes | July 14, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 18

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I don't think It will crack $200m but $150-160m seems doable if it does $50-60m OW

I will go into depression if it does less than Rise. It was on the cards but after the reception I won't be able to take it. At least needs to beat POTC5 (right now this year's highest grossing non-CBM, non-animation, non-SW sequel).

• Like 1

As much as I love Dawn, I know the casual moviegoer didn't find it all that. Hence, the legs were kinda meh. The general public isn't all that jazzed about it even though the reviews are excellent. It also doesn't help that Fox hasn't been able to market the sequels as well as they should. Rise had a great marketing + excitement to see a new incarnation of apes. The 2nd and 3rd have lacked that. I hope this matches atleast Rise numbers domestically, but I am just not seeing that buzz or excitement. SMHC is taking away all the buzz.

Rest assured, this movie will get my money. Other July movies that will get my money are SMHC and Valerian. 

I might check out BD if I find a suitable showtime. 

Edited by marveldcfox

Just now, marveldcfox said:

As much as I love Dawn, I know the casual moviegoer didn't find it all that. Hence, the legs were kinda meh. The general public isn't all that jazzed about it even though the reviews are excellent. It also doesn't help that Fox hasn't been able to market the sequels as well as they should. Rise had a great marketing + excitement to see a new incarnation of apes. The 2nd and 3rd have lacked that. I hope this matches atleast Rise numbers domestically, but I am just not seeing that buzz or excitement. 

SMHC is taking away all the buzz. 

huh?

2 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

As much as I love Dawn, I know the casual moviegoer didn't find it all that. Hence, the legs were kinda meh. The general public isn't all that jazzed about it even though the reviews are excellent. It also doesn't help that Fox hasn't been able to market the sequels as well as they should. Rise had a great marketing + excitement to see a new incarnation of apes. The 2nd and 3rd have lacked that. I hope this matches atleast Rise numbers domestically, but I am just not seeing that buzz or excitement. 

SMHC is taking away all the buzz. 

2.87x for a sequel is pretty good legs imo (208.5/72.6). Granted that year was lower on competition. This time it's going to be Spider, Apes, Dunkirk back to back (all potentially with very good wom).

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

2.87x for a sequel is pretty good legs imo (208.5/72.6). Granted that year was lower on competition. This time it's going to be Spider, Apes, Dunkirk back to back (all potentially with very good wom).

For a movie coming off a smash hit,  90+% on RT and hailed as one of the best blockbusters of that summer, it didn't really do as much as it deserved. Should have opened to atleast 80M and grossed atleast 250M domestic. A minimum of 3X. 

13 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

For a movie coming off a smash hit,  90+% on RT and hailed as one of the best blockbusters of that summer, it didn't really do as much as it deserved. Should have opened to atleast 80M and grossed atleast 250M domestic. A minimum of 3X. 

I think the general appeal to a planet of the apes movie is not big enough to ensure big openings and excellent legs. I know many people who are very excited for SP:H but dont care about War for the planet of the apes no matter how good the reviews are. Sad but true.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

CA:WS did 2.71x that year. That's how sequels behave.

Edited by a2knet

5 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Is this the best reviewed 'threequel' ever? In fact the trilogy has quietly become one of the most consistently well-received of all time.

Maybe just outside the top 10, by MC score of the third movie of a franchise (I must be forgotten some, particularly outside Hollywood production).

Three Colors: Red: 100

Before Midnight: 94

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King: 94

Toy Story 3: 92

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly : 90

Bourne Ultimatum: 85

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: 82

Skyfall : 81

The World's End: 81

Once Upon Time in America: 80

War of the planet of the apes: 79

The Dark Knight Rises: 78

I don't know what Apes is going to do but comparing it to something like Spider-Man is silly. It's never going to bring in those types of numbers nor does it have to in order to be successful. Apes is a more adult fantasy franchise it's just never going to be pulling in 300 million.

And I disagree with the idea of that Dawn of the Planet of the Apes didn't have good legs. It had good legs for a sequel. If you were expecting its legs to be better then you just don't understand how sequels perform at the box office. Is Guardians of Galaxy 2 having bad legs because it's not going to pull in the 3.5 that its predecessor did? No of course not and nobody expected it to have those sort of legs.

The problem with these movies getting to the top of the box office list, is that they still star a bunch of damn dirty apes. All things considered, they have performed amazingly well with the audience and critics - especially because a 'Ape' reboot was a dubious proposition in the first place.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, a2knet said:

At least needs to beat POTC5 (right now this year's highest grossing non-CBM, non-animation, non-SW sequel).

Wouldn't that be BATB, followed by FOTF, followed by GO, followed by KSI, then followed by POTC5?

Edited by nick64

11 minutes ago, nick64 said:

Oh misread your quote and thought you specifically meant "non-SW sequel" (which we haven't even had yet lol)

You are right about F8 though. I hope Apes can go over.

• Like 1