Once Upon a Time in the West

19 members have voted

1. 1. Once Upon a Time in the West

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

A+ (the + is for Claudia Cardinale). A much more ambitious film than the "fistful of dollars"-trilogy and even slower in many of its scenes. The music is fantastic, easily one of the best scores ever. Henry "blue eyes" Fonda and Charles "squint" Bronson are worthy antagonists. If possible, watch the longest cut you can get your hands on! It's worth the time.

• Like 1

Absolutely fantastic film. The opening sequence is amazing. Overall, the film isn't for those who demand a quick pace, but it will reward patient viewers with a wonderful score, brilliant cinematography, a great villain turn by Henry Fonda, and a stunning conclusion.Oh yeah, and Claudia Cardinale is friggin' hot.

• Like 2

This is a film that gets better at each viewing.The first time its too slow.2nd time you go okay this is a nice story.Third time you love every second...I have seen it like 4 times, watched it a 4th time today....Amazing epic storyline with great character.Sergio Leone is now doubt the king of Westerns to me...This and The Good, The Bad and the Ugly are the best in this genre, no doubts about it...

• Like 1

One of the three or four greatest films I've ever seen. First time I watched it, I wasn't entirely sure what to expect (out of eone's films I'd only seen A Fistful of Dollars prior to it) and had a somewhat mixed reaction - the cinematography, the music, _that_ flashback scene, Bronson's coolness, Fonda's evilness, Robards' likability and Cardinale's beauty all instantly knocked me off my seat, but the very deliberate pacing and storytelling had me scratching my head. Still, there was a certain magnetic quality to the film that left me convinced I was going to return to it before long, and sure enough, by the third viewing I admired every single thing in there and wished I could spend as much time as possible in the film's world. A magnificent epic on the passing of the mythic Old West and the archetypes that inhabited it, with some of the finest cinematography and original music of all time.

An undisputed masterpiece. An elegiac, mythic, operatic ode to the death of the Wild West. Also, the opening scene has got to be one of the greatest movie scenes of all time.

Imo, the finest Western of all time (Once Upon a Time... > The Good, The Bad...), and one of the top 10 films ever made.

A+
  • Like 1

My only moderate fault with the film is that there was zero reason for Robard's character to die. I mean he takes his time lounging around with Claudia Cardinale and getting a shave (all of this with zero evidence he was even slightly injured) and then at the very end goes to Bronson "Oh by the way, I was shot several hours ago and I think I'm about to die."

Edited by 4815162342

mccabe and mrs miller is great, but that's because it isn't like most westerns at all.

I didn't really put that list in any particular order, but it's my favorite western. And, yes, essentially unlike other westerns. Though, HBO's Deadwood shares some of its qualities. I figured, given your taste, you'd like that one. I imagine your an Altman fan, lisa.

• Like 1