• Man of Steel
    • Iron Man 3
    • OZ
    • Pacific Rim
    • Star Trek 2
    • Thor 2
    • Anchorman 2
    • This Is The End

main problem with this thread is that it is a poll. Thus limiting what people can answer. This should simply have been opened as a discussion thread. Also, it is no surprise that you put MOS and IM3 at the very top, considering the real reason this thread was made

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

"Quality-wise" is essentially meaningless. For me, something like PR didn't disappoint in that regard, so while I certainly admit its box-office performance was overhyped, quality-wise and entertainment-wise it lived up to what I wanted. That's not the case with IM3 (and other films) for me, and I know MOS, STID, etc all have their detractors too. So if that's what we're going by then we're just gonna end up with another popularity poll, essentially.

Are we going off breathless "masterpiece" claims? CF was wildly overpraised here (IMO). If HP had a movie coming out this year, it too would've been. The Thor and Loki fans made THOR 2 seem like it was going to be this amazing event movie. This coming year the Spidey and Cap fans are gonna do the same thing. Basically all it means is online fan presence.

It's even more nebulous when you try to take the real world into account. Does any film with a significant marketing budget count as "over-hyped"? Is it movies that get magazine covers? Movies that have crazy fan bases that worship every moment and every glimpse of their stars?

Are we going off breathless "masterpiece" claims? CF was wildly overpraised here (IMO). If HP had a movie coming out this year, it too would've been. T

If it was judjing by that I'd def vote for trifecta of masterpieces like Gravity, Frozen & CF but I assumed that overhyped means before the release

More MOS? No no no, by far the most overhyped movies on the forum of 2013 was STAR TREK ID and Thor 2, by far. Most of yall were predicting #1-#3 finish for Trek, with an average of #2 behind IM3...well it finished #11. The fail cant get any bigger than that. It just cant.

And Thor, #12. Everyone was like "Marvel, Avengers Effect, Thorki, November, Marvel, people on Tumblr, pregnant Loki, Loki, Thorki, sequel effect, Marvel, Loki, Sif, Avengers Effect, Loki, Marvel". Haha well we see how that turned out. Those are the two biggest disappointments to me, especially since most of the forum was pegging these as top 5 movies. 

In the real world no particular movie, but people overhyped Jlaw's performance in AH, mainly because its Jlaw. Her CF performance was much better, but its not receiving attention because its a blockbuster, which is stupid.

Edited by Jandrew