Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

I really don't see Gravity as this visual festival that lacks story, for me it sparkled deep considerations about fear of being alone and attachment to home. I think the lack of characters and dialogue goes well with what Cuarón intended to show us, and it's this solitary atmosphere that makes some scenes so powerful.

12YAS had great dialogue, but the whole movie was more about rubbing cruelty on our faces, in the end I wasn't rooting for Platt to be freed, I was rooting for the ginger guy to be smacked in the face. Not really what I look for in a movie.

Deep considerations? I never get that. People always say to me that Gravity is "deeper" than you think. But they never say how. To me, it's just another story about being cast off. There's subtle symbolism there that helps convey some ideas, but ultimately, none of these ideas seems that mind boggling or deep to me. A movie like Cast Away was just as deep as Gravity. And that's not an insult, I really like Cast Away and I like Gravity, I'm just not going crazy over either one.I will admit that Cuaron's direction raises the intensity on some scenes. 

I'm not a big fan of Lupita, but damn when she won and I saw her reaction and everyone else's... For me, it's pretty obvious that the people working on 12 Years a Slave aren't just friends now... they're more like family.

That was one amazing moment, to be honest.

+ It was even better cause JLaw didn't win.

Leo continues to wait for that elusive Oscar.

He needs to do a role that:

1. Requires him to lose tons of weight

2. Is a true-life super tragedy

3. Is gay and/or gets AIDS and performs gay sex scenes

Edited by Deathlife
  • Like 4

So you're starting with the worst ones, I take it. ;)Btw, did you sleep at all last night?

I didn't but I did sleep for five hours before the show. Good thing we have a school holiday this week cause usually I have to go to school on Monday with no sleep.

DiCaprio's already played all of the roles possible for Oscar. At this point, he just needs to keep doing a great job and rely on luck.

I agree. He should have won for several of his portrayals i.e Titanic, Blood Diamond etc. Al Pacino had to wait till 1992 to get his first oscar after several phenomenal performances prior to that and the wait was almost 2 decades. So Leo will get one given that he is a fabulous performer and picks good roles.