Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

Tonight it looks like Turner Classic is showing all five films that were nominated for Best Picture in 1967:In the Heat of the NightThe GraduateGuess Who's Coming to DinnerBonnie and ClydeDr. DoolittleI've not seen the ITHOTN or the Graduate. GWCTD is good but a little dated. Bonnie and Clyde is one of the best films ever made. And um then there's Dr. Doolittle

• Like 1

Okay, let's predict this mother

BEST PICTURE: 12 Years a Slave

BEST DIRECTOR: Alfonso Cuaron - Gravity

BEST ACTOR: Matthew McConaghey - Dallas Buyers Club

BEST ACTRESS: Cate Blanchett - Blue Jasmine

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Spike Jonze - Her

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: John Ridley - 12 Years a Slave

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Jared Leto - Dallas Buyers Club

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Lupita N'yongo - 12 Years a Slave

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: Emmanuel Lubezki - Gravity

BEST EDITING: Gravity

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE: Gravity

BEST SOUND MIXING: Gravity

BEST SOUND EDITING: Gravity

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS: Gravity

BEST MAKEUP: Dallas Buyers Club

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN: The Great Gatsby

BEST COSTUMES: The Great Gatsby

BEST ORIGINAL SONG: "Let It Go" - Frozen

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE: Frozen

BEST FOREIGN FILM: The Great Beauty

BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT: Helium

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT: The Lady in Number 6

BEST ANIMATED SHORT: Get a Horse

I know virtually nothing about the last 4 categories (saw only The Hunt) so I basically copied riczhang's answers  :P

• Like 2

If I was an Ampas voter I don't know if I would vote early on and just go for what I love or wait until the end so I could deny every movie and star who had run an objectionable and/ or desperate campaign. I had so hoped that Slave would run its campaign on the merits of the movie which are considerable but no, it went for the racial jugular: vote for this film, whether you like it or not or else you're racist. The online campaign by the likes of the AD woman have done the film and McQueen a big disservice by not just passionately supporting but hectoring and bullying. Apparently Slave 'must' win because it will 'change the world'. McQueen 'must' win best director because then little black boys can grow up to be great film makers ( obviously the filmic ambitions of little Mexican boys are irrelevant to Ms Stone). I'm ok with Slave winning best picture but the campaign has ensured that I won't care when it does. The best supporting actress race has also been tainted by this kind of argument. I didn't rate Lupita's performance anyway but now I'm firmly rooting for JLaw.My predictionsBest picture - head says 12 years a slave. Heart says Gravity ( just to annoy the bullies)Best actor - head says Matthew. Heart says Leo all the way but a Matthew/ Leo tie will doBest actress- head and heart say CateSupporting actor - head says Leto. Heart says Leto is fine but if not, Barkhad AbdiSupporting actress - head says Lupita Hathaway. Heart says JLaw or Roberts or Squibb

• Like 1

Okay, let's predict this mother

BEST PICTURE: 12 Years a Slave

BEST DIRECTOR: Alfonso Cuaron - Gravity

BEST ACTOR: Matthew McConaghey - Dallas Buyers Club

BEST ACTRESS: Cate Blanchett - Blue Jasmine

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Spike Jonze - Her

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: John Ridley - 12 Years a Slave

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Jared Leto - Dallas Buyers Club

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Lupita N'yongo - 12 Years a Slave

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: Emmanuel Lubezki - Gravity

BEST EDITING: Gravity

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE: Gravity

BEST SOUND MIXING: Gravity

BEST SOUND EDITING: Gravity

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS: Gravity

BEST MAKEUP: Dallas Buyers Club

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN: The Great Gatsby

BEST COSTUMES: The Great Gatsby

BEST ORIGINAL SONG: "Let It Go" - Frozen

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE: Frozen

BEST FOREIGN FILM: The Great Beauty

BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT: Helium

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT: The Lady in Number 6

BEST ANIMATED SHORT: Get a Horse

I know virtually nothing about the last 4 categories (saw only The Hunt) so I basically copied riczhang's answers :P

Aww..... I'm flattered.

Predicting those categories really no logic or trend. Generally, PIXAR/Disney always wins. The only reliable predictor is if you watch the movies and pick your favourite. That's really the only method that works better than random guessing. :P

• Like 1

Oscar nominee Julie Delpy has some pretty HUGE BALLS for a chick ... because the screenwriter just spanked the Academy hard -- saying it's just a bunch of crusty white dudes who take BRIBES for votes.Delpy -- who's nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay for "Before Midnight" with Ethan Hawke -- told the Independent the awards are meaningless because voters are, "90% white men over 70 who need money.""They haven't done anything in a long time," Delpy continued ... "You just need to give them two or three presents and they're in your pocket. It doesn't mean anything to me."The actress also roasted the Weinstein brothers claiming they killed the independent movie scene ... and then dissed her own flicks, saying, "Every time I've become a part of the Hollywood mainstream, it's been crap! Let's be honest: 90% of movies made in Hollywood are crap."

• Like 2

Oscar nominee Julie Delpy has some pretty HUGE BALLS for a chick ... because the screenwriter just spanked the Academy hard -- saying it's just a bunch of crusty white dudes who take BRIBES for votes.Delpy -- who's nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay for "Before Midnight" with Ethan Hawke -- told the Independent the awards are meaningless because voters are, "90% white men over 70 who need money.""They haven't done anything in a long time," Delpy continued ... "You just need to give them two or three presents and they're in your pocket. It doesn't mean anything to me."The actress also roasted the Weinstein brothers claiming they killed the independent movie scene ... and then dissed her own flicks, saying, "Every time I've become a part of the Hollywood mainstream, it's been crap! Let's be honest: 90% of movies made in Hollywood are crap."

What are they going to do, not give her the Oscar they weren't going to give her anyways?
  • Like 1

She's not wrong

She is right but she shouldn't single out AMPAS. This is true of all the awards shows. HFPA is worse and more corrupt. BAFTA isn't that much better than the Oscars either.

I've just been thinking about my NGNG:June Squibb for Nebraska winning BSA (This feels right for some reason. She's old and paid her due and she has not yet been rewarded. Plus, I also know that she is getting a lot of support and Nebraska is quite popular with the Academy, ewwwwww. Now the chances are slim but I won't be surprised if she wins.)All is Lost in Sound EditingGrandmaster in Costume DesignInside Llewyn Davis in Cinematography