CJohn

Sing | Dec. 21, 2016 | Illumination | Beats Moana domestic. The McConaissance Continues

Chris Meledandri to Get Venice Film Fest Tribute

The founder of Illumination Entertainment will be feted on the Lido for his contribution to animated films.

Chris Meledandri is slated to receive a special tribute at the upcoming Venice International Film Festival in September, organizers announced Wednesday. The Academy Award-nominated founder and CEO of Illumination Entertainment will be recognized for his contribution to the world of animated films.

Meledandri is responsible for the Despicable Me, Ice Age and animated Dr. Seuss franchises, which have collectively grossed almost $6 billion worldwide. With Illumination, he has an exclusive financing and distribution partnership with Universal Pictures.

The Venice tribute will kick off with the Italian premiere of Illumination’s latest picture, The Secret Life of Pets. The global box-office hit is set to open Oct. 6 in Italy.

Meledandri will participate in a public conversation with festival attendees, which will end with exclusive footage from Illumination’s upcoming movie Sing. A dapper koala (voiced by Matthew McConaughey) who has fallen on hard times must restore his once-grand theater in a world entirely inhabited by animals. Sing is set to bow Dec. 21 in the U.S. and also stars Scarlett Johansson, Leslie Jones and Reese Witherspoon.

Just now, cannastop said:

OK, now this surprises me. I never thought the highbrow Venice Film Festival would acknowledge Chris Meledandri.

He deserves it imo. One of the animation genuises today. Apparently they will screen Pets and several exclusive clips from SING before it hits TIFF. 

1 minute ago, MinaTakla said:

He deserves it imo. One of the animation genuises today. Apparently they will screen Pets and several exclusive clips from SING before it hits TIFF. 

He's certainly one of the most important figures in animated film history. I think his importance is primarily commercial though - not even in terms of "his films aren't that good but they make megabucks" (there's definitely arguments either way on his films' quality!), but the fact he's managed to create hit after hit without a massive budget. DM, DM2, and Minions cost only slightly more combined than the average recent Pixar movie!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

That's what happens when a studio and network are owned by the same company

Irrespective of the network they'd be advertising this early. That's what Illumination does.

Anyway, the ads have had more of a charm to them than the trailers. But the animal conceit still feels pointless

Just now, tribefan695 said:

Irrespective of the network they'd be advertising this early. That's what Illumination does.

Anyway, the ads have had more of a charm to them than the trailers. But the animal conceit still feels pointless

These ads have done nothing for me, the movie still looks like trash. These TIFF reviews better prove me wrong.

28 minutes ago, cannastop said:

OK, but this seriously looks a lot like Zootopia. If there was a fox in this movie, Disney would probably sue. In fact, they probably purposely avoided foxes because they knew about Zootopia.

This looks absolutely nothing like Zootopia to me, unless you're gonna argue every talking animal movies looks like Zootopia. Has a way different look, tone, and plot from the looks of the trailers. If A Bug's Life and Antz could co-exist in similar release windows, Sing and Zootopia surely can. 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

This looks absolutely nothing like Zootopia to me, unless you're gonna argue every talking animal movies looks like Zootopia. Has a way different look, tone, and plot from the looks of the trailers. If A Bug's Life and Antz could co-exist in similar release windows, Sing and Zootopia surely can. 

The Hippo, Bull, Pig and Elephant characters all have a striking resemblance to each other in both movies. Plus, they're all living in a city, so you can find a lot of superficial similarities right there.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1