CJohn

Sing | Dec. 21, 2016 | Illumination | Beats Moana domestic. The McConaissance Continues

26 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

Zootopia would get nominated for Best Picture before Sing :lol: 

Kinda thinking November-December 2016 will be top-heavy. 6-7 big hits and everything else does decent enough. 

1. Rogue One: $445 million 
  2. Moana: $355 million 
  3. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: $295 million 
  4. Passengers: $285 million 
  5. Sing: $235 million 
  6. Doctor Strange: $200 million 
  7. La La Land: $145 million 
  8. Hacksaw Ridge: $115 million 
  9. Trolls: $110 million 
  10. Silence: $105 million 

Can't see all of that happening since that'd mean the entire top 12 DOM would be at $285 million+ DOM :huh: and I might be lowballing Sing depending on late marketing and WOM. 

lol, no one thinks Sing is going to be nominated for Best Picture.

And why can't the top 12 DOM be at least $285 million?

On 7/26/2016 at 9:52 AM, Spaghetti said:

Was pretty surprised to discover that it's 110 minutes long, according to TIFF.

Well those eighty-something songs have to go somewhere.

On 7/26/2016 at 10:11 AM, MinaTakla said:

If it's bad, then why would Illumination, which has never been to any fest, open it a full 3 months early? To kill its chances? 

Not buying it's bad. More optimistic now.

Films get booed at festivals all the time. Films get cheered at festivals. Mediocre films also play at festivals. 

But that is so besides the point. I guarantee you that Chris is looking at this film and saying, "Wow! We're not doing a straight-up silly comedy for the first time in the history of the company. This has dramatic portions! Just like a Pixar movie! Drama! That implies heft! We gotta screen this and show the film world we're not just minions!"

And that's the naivete in play here: just because your film is not a straight-laced happy-go-lucky fest does not automatically make it good or "festival-worthy". I'd be shocked if this garners widespread, Inside Out/Zootopia-esque praise. I think it looks awful, but I gather that most people will just shrug at it. But Illumination thinks they'll get a pass because it's not in the same vogue as their previous work.

And I'm not willing to believe it at this time.

32 minutes ago, goldenstate5 said:

Well those eighty-something songs have to go somewhere.

Films get booed at festivals all the time. Films get cheered at festivals. Mediocre films also play at festivals. 

But that is so besides the point. I guarantee you that Chris is looking at this film and saying, "Wow! We're not doing a straight-up silly comedy for the first time in the history of the company. This has dramatic portions! Just like a Pixar movie! Drama! That implies heft! We gotta screen this and show the film world we're not just minions!"

And that's the naivete in play here: just because your film is not a straight-laced happy-go-lucky fest does not automatically make it good or "festival-worthy". I'd be shocked if this garners widespread, Inside Out/Zootopia-esque praise. I think it looks awful, but I gather that most people will just shrug at it. But Illumination thinks they'll get a pass because it's not in the same vogue as their previous work.

And I'm not willing to believe it at this time.

Hey, I'm happy that Sing is going to premier at the Toronto International Film festival. It's a savvy way to not only get publicity for the movie but also to legitimize studio animated features.

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

lol, no one thinks Sing is going to be nominated for Best Picture.

And why can't the top 12 DOM be at least $285 million?

I know :P

It's just not common. From 1980 to 2015, only 2009 had more than 7 films do $285 million+ DOM in a single year. 

Granted, 2016 is on pace for 10 (Pets, Rogue One, SS, Moana) and Fantastic Beasts could do $280-300 million DOM, too. (making it 11). 

If Passengers and Sing somehow did it, that'd put the number at 13 - five more than the previous record :huh:

Moana at 355?

Prople are getting spoiled by these recent animation grosses.

Its still darn hard to get to 350.  A movie can be high quality and not get to 350.  I think Big Hero 6 was very good and it just didn't capture the publics imagination.

We shall see with Moana.

With that Illuminations marketing team I wouldn't be shocked if Sing out grosses Moana, better movie or not.  They seem to have their pulse on what gets the masses in seats.

Edited by Planodisney
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Planodisney said:

Moana at 355?

Prople are getting spoiled by these recent animation grossed.

Its still darn hard to get to 350.  A movie can be high quality and not get to 350.  I think Big Hero 6 was very good and it just didn't capture the publics imagination.

We shall see with Moana.

With that Illuminations marketing team I wouldn't be shocked if Sing out grosses Moana, better movie or not.  They seam to have their pulse on what gets the masses in seats.

My problem with predicting that high for Sing is that in the past Illumination's marketing has been genius at completely capturing kid's attention and making them actively want to see their films. That's why their films always outperform the general predictions, because it's adults predicting them and it tends to go over their heads at how mass appealing to kids their marketing is. But Sing is the first time I can see kids en masse not actively wanting to see one of their films. Sure I think it looks decent enough to kids, but I can't see it being a movie they beg their parents to take them to like what happened with DM2, Minions, and Pets. So the verdict is out on how well their marketing can work if it's not quite so universal to children. 

Edited by MovieMan89

110 minutes is pretty long for an animated film, only Cars is longer by 6 minutes.

Pets clicked with audiences from the first teaser even though the film itself wasn't great, Sing had much more mixed reception from its trailers. It will do well but don't seeing hitting the same heights as Pets and Minions

3 hours ago, Planodisney said:

Moana at 355?

Prople are getting spoiled by these recent animation grossed.

We shall see with Moana.

With that Illuminations marketing team I wouldn't be shocked if Sing out grosses Moana, better movie or not.  They seam to have their pulse on what gets the masses in seats.

Frozen was the family movie for the 2013 holidays, and had near-unprecedented legs after that, and still barely made it past 400. 350+ will be hard to achieve.

6 hours ago, Murgatroyd said:

Frozen was the family movie for the 2013 holidays, and had near-unprecedented legs after that, and still barely made it past 400. 350+ will be hard to achieve.

In most years, I'd say yes.

But 2016 will possibly see 10-11 films do $300 million+ DOM. The year has been top-heavy and Disney already has 3 that passed $350 million DOM (with Zootopia just under the mark and Rogue One likely to pass $350 million, too).

I wouldn't be surprised to see Moana do $350-355 million. Especially since it'll have a stronger 5-day opening than Frozen (could go as high as $125-130 million 5-day IMO). Granted, $270-320 million is the safe predict. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2016 at 8:23 PM, MovieMan89 said:

My problem with predicting that high for Sing is that in the past Illumination's marketing has been genius at completely capturing kid's attention and making them actively want to see their films. That's why their films always outperform the general predictions, because it's adults predicting them and it tends to go over their heads at how mass appealing to kids their marketing is. But Sing is the first time I can see kids en masse not actively wanting to see one of their films. Sure I think it looks decent enough to kids, but I can't see it being a movie they beg their parents to take them to like what happened with DM2, Minions, and Pets. So the verdict is out on how well their marketing can work if it's not quite so universal to children. 

Ehh... you might not think it's universal but I honestly think this has MORE kid appeal than Pets. Pets had the family+older market more cornered, but when I got the trailer with Finding Dory in a theater full of kids from the summer camp at I work at, well... let's just say kids LOVE pop songs they've heard on the radio. Maybe about half the theater was singing along to "Stay With Me" and Lady Gaga and other songs were also popular from the trailer. Definitely see this doing well even though I think it looks like total shit

The trailer for this didn't interest me at all, but the fact that it's premiering at TIFF is tempting me to go see it. I'm not sure whether that necessarily means it will be better than my initial expectations, but the opportunity to see this 3 months before I otherwise could is pretty enticing. $25 is kinda steep for me though, so still thinking about it.

• Like 1

Yeah....I do think Sing looks....very good, to be honest.

It looks.....exactly like what you think a big theatrical animated film would be. It's smooth, it's pretty detailed and it looks very fun. The textures is like in an theatrical animated film. It's not like Norm of the North where that film looked and was inferior and cheaper.

Sing is in a similar vein as other few animated films this year, KFP3, Zootopia, Angry Birds, Finding Dory, Ice Age 5, Storks, Moana, etc....where all those animated films looks good/great with their animations.

• Like 1

This is Leslie Jones' next movie. 

The trailer for this is quite funny. But then, so was the trailer for Secret Life of Pets.

Hopefully they've saved the best laughs for the actual film this time.

Edited by Krissykins