CJohn

Sing | Dec. 21, 2016 | Illumination | Beats Moana domestic. The McConaissance Continues

29 minutes ago, Blankments said:

How are these reactions very positive? Like honestly they make me think I'm gonna like it less lol

Give me some actual reviews then we'll talk

Since you clearly aren't interested in the movie, nor will you be watching it, you might as well just not bother with the thread. Nothing is going to change your mind at this point anyway.

BTW, Pets beat Inside Out :ph34r: All that trolling in the Pets thread really worked out well.

Yeah and I've already gone on and on about how I liked Pets and how I ended up being wrong on that movie but I guess eating crow isn't enough for you guys. I've also gone on and on about how I doubt this'll surprise as much as Pets.

I'll leave once the actual reviews come in, thank you very much. Getting really tired of calling a troll in this thread when I've been much kinder to Illumination's films than a certain mod is ever to Pixar's films lol

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I was saying to the manager I was working with; six months ago I would have thought Moana would be the film of the season (other than Star Wars). Now I honestly think Sing will steal it's thunder. 

Moana - $200M

Sing - $320M

Even if Sing steals its thunder, Moana is easily clearing $250m. It's going to reach that in at most three weeks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Even if Sing steals its thunder, Moana is easily clearing $250m. It's going to reach that in at most three weeks.

While I do see Moana doing anywhere from $250M-$300M this holiday, it depends on how Disney markets Moana these next few months, and doesn't pay more marketing attention to DS or RO. If they botch it $250M is the maximum total, if they ace it $300M+.

Edited by YourMother

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

OK, I doubt that's going to be nominated.

Happy and Everything is Awesome got nominated. A feel-good tune from an animated film is a solid bet for a nom. Unlikely to win, but it could be in the running. Best Original Song is a crapshoot category. Things that seem obvious may miss. Things that aren't even close to the radar get a nom.

"If it weren’t for the four little Minions who flex their pipes at the opening of “Sing,” you wouldn’t necessarily know that the massively entertaining jukebox musical that follows hails from the same studio that brought you “Despicable Me” and “The Secret Life of Pets.” The story of an underdog koala who concocts a singing competition as a last-ditch attempt to save his over-extended theater, “Sing” could just as easily be the work of Pixar, DreamWorks, or Walt Disney Animation Studios. But for Illumination Entertainment, “Sing” is a game-changer, underscoring why company founder Chris Meledandri is the hottest name in animation today."

http://variety.com/2016/film/festivals/sing-review-illumination-entertainment-1201857701/

• Like 2

Hmph,  I still don't like how they marketed this. But I'd just be an ass if I couldn't be pleasantly surprised by this actually being good. With the early buzz anything Illumination does from here on out will be in the afterglow of a great TIFF reception, so there's not much point making anymore judgments on the film based on the marketing 

• Like 1