druv10

4-day Weekend Actuals

I sorta think it's a crime that Nut Job made that much.

Unfortunately, NJ hurt Frozen a bit this weekend. With the Friday number weekend should have been close to 13M if not over instead we got 11.9M. Next week not a lot of competition so I'm expecting another great hold as we've no football on Sunday. 

RA's OW is stunning. Less than $2M shy of $50M - in January. I'm glad its getting success and add that in for Universal. Yall really need to check it out. Be cheap and get matinee or something, just go see, with a packed house. Telling you, funniest movie since TITE. And yes, I will keep saying that.

I sorta think it's a crime that Nut Job made that much.

It had everything that little kids like - slapstick, talking animals, fart jokes, bright colors, and goofiness. Its gross is fair IMO. Afterall, NJ wasn't made to appeal to us, at all.
  • Like 1

It had everything that little kids like - slapstick, talking animals, fart jokes, bright colors, and goofiness. Its gross is fair IMO. Afterall, NJ wasn't made to appeal to us, at all.

Yeah, but you could still put a little effort into your movie even if it's just for small kids.

Edited by Jack Nevada

That is not a good excuse IMO.

Kids movie shouldn't be that dumb.

Yeah, but you could still put a little effort into your movie even if it's for small kids.

Its Open Road. B-list studio with fewer resources. If it was DWA, Blue Sky, etc. then I'd be saying that. They have no excuse.
  • Like 1

The thing about l animated films like Nut Job is they appeal to adults about as much as your generic Nickelodeon/Cartoon Network show. Very young kids will probably want to see it, but outside of that it really doesn't have the potential for a broad audience like Frozen or How to Train Your Dragon. So with that said these numbers aren't all that surprising.

Edited by Mango
  • Like 3

That is not a good excuse IMO. Kids movie shouldn't be that dumb.

Well thats how I see it. Many cartoons today and in the past were just as dumb and featured the same humor. So KIDS movies cant be that dumb but kids TV can?
  • Like 2

Its Open Road. B-list studio with fewer resources. If it was DWA, Blue Sky, etc. then I'd be saying that. They have no excuse.

Well look at Hoodwinked. Cost shit, looked like shit, was actually hilarious and smart. It's the script.

That could also be seen as a problem, but the structure didn't bother me. Quite the opposite. All the stories had something interesting going on, though The Adventures Dane DeHaan and The Docuhebag wasn't as strong as the first two, especially the Ryan Gosling one which I loved.

The Douchebag kid was a pretty bad actor.. but sadly I know people who are really like that, accent and everything. So it didn't bother me as much as it normally would have.

The Nut Job can be as dumb as it is, but as long as they can keep the budget below 70-75m, there could possibily be a dumber The Nut Job 2/The Nuttier Job or some cheesily named squeakquel which will turn a profit. One doesn't need to be the Wolf to sell dirt to kids.

Edited by a2knet

Well look at Hoodwinked. Cost shit, looked like shit, was actually hilarious and smart. It's the script.

True, but its the same as many kids cartoons, or reality and daytime shows for adults. Jersey Shore, Buckwild, Kardashians, Real Housewives, Teen Mom, 16 and Pregnant, and Jerry Springer have little effort, but people still eat them up, just like kids can eat up Nut Job. As an adult, I dont see the reason to complain about its success. Its a stupid movie, but its a harmless movie, and its $25M 4-day is still off from the usual OW's of sophisticated Pixar, DWA, etc. i dont see the issue here. NJ sucks, but if it gives a 6 year old a good time, who OR was targeting only, then well. Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 3

Well thats how I see it. Many cartoons today and in the past were just as dumb and featured the same humor. So KIDS movies cant be that dumb but kids TV can?

Kids TV shows are not excusable either, and there are plenty of good "kids show" out their.

Edited by Fancyarcher