grey ghost

Actors Hollywood tried to force on the public

Josh Brolin. Probably cause his parents were actors.

I haven't read through all the pages but am sure someone's mentioned Jaden Smith, son of Cypher Raige LOL

But some of my favorite actors are actually offspring from other actors. Half the damn brat pack of the 80's were Hollywood kids, like Kiefer Sutherland, Emelio Estevez and Charlie Sheen. Other good k

The actors were forced down people's throats back in the studio system days when actors used to be signed with the studios. They were slowly groomed and eased into supporting roles. If a studio boss liked a young actress she would start getting small parts in big movies and the bigger parts when she was famous enough. That system has been dead for decades. Actors sign on for movies and the studios aren't concerned with grooming anyone any longer so this entire argument is just an excuse to bash actors that people don't like.

Carey Mulligan was an unknown when she got an Oscar nomination for a British movie. Most of her movies are independent movies and I am not sure if she has worked in any studio movie recently, excluding The Great Gatsby. Indie producers and directors sign her because she is a good enough actress and famous enough that she can help with the financing and distribution. 

Could have fooled me, everytime I go to the theaters, there is a trailer on that has her fucking face in it. Sorry, but she has like no charisma, I don't think she's a very good actress, and yet she's been working with some pretty great co-stars, directors and writers, so it makes me think she's probably sleeping with someone major in hollywood to get where she's at.

• Like 1

Orlando Bloom

LOTR trilogy (Bloom was a supporting player at most)

POTC trilogy (it was all about Depp)

Troy (Brad Pitt's movie)

Black Hawk Down (has about 10 lines in the movie)

The guy was for 5-6 years in huge movie after huge movie but his presence in those had nothing to do with the success of each movie. Everything he tried as the star from Kingdom of Heaven and Elizabethtown to Three Musketeers was a huge flop. He came back recently with the Hobbit movies but after There and Back again I hope he returns to oblivion.

Orlando Bloom is a funny guy in real life and his onscreen presence isn't bad enough to make me dislike the guy. Without him and KN, POTC didn't feel the same.

• Like 1

This is her BOM page.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=careymulligan.htm

She has done 7-8 movies since getting her Oscar nom and has only done two studio movies.  I counted 3 wide releases in 4 years so that's hardly an example of an actress being shoved down anyone's throat.

You act like indie movies don't have ads budget, that they don't have stars they try to shove, Sundance hype and all. It's not because she didn't headline dumb blockbusters that she is not shove in people's throat and a non-factor. 7-8 movies in 4 years is a lot.

When I see her on countless fashion magazines covers like those, I can safely say she's been touted as a new Audrey Hepburn down our throats and that she set trends (according to those magazines).

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

Her making movies and her being shoved down someone's throat is not the same thing. Of course, she is going to keep making movies because she is an actor but there is hardly a conspiracy involved here. If you want example of actors who have studios' backing, look no further than Chris Hemsworth and Margot Robbie. Hemsworth has done three Marvel movies and three movies with Universal in the past 4 years with more on the way. No one knew who Margot Robbie was before she landed role in TWOWS and another studio movie with Will Smith. She has recently signed on to do movies with Craig Zobel and another with David Yates ( WB's Tarzan). This is an actress who no one knew 4 months ago because she hadn't done a leading role in her life.

• Like 3

And why Mulligan is different from Robbie's streak to stardom? One role in An Education, then Oscar nom and now starring and linked to countless movies with "prestige" clout. All the same and yet you try to paint it as different.

(Maybe you're a Drive fan seeing your defense so you don't have the same POV. Since I didn't fall in love with Drive, that was already the point I thought she was put in every single "indie prestige movie" and touted as fashion icon with the same pouty 'sad puppy' stare she carries around. Indie prestige movies are produced by studios as well whether you admit it or not).

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

And why Mulligan is different from Robbie's streak to stardom? One role in An Education, then Oscar nom and now starring and linked to countless movies with "prestige" clout. All the same and yet you try to paint it as different.

(Maybe you're a Drive fan seeing your defense so you don't have the same POV. Since I didn't fall in love with Drive, that was already the point I thought she was put in every single "indie prestige movie" and touted as fashion icon with the same pouty depressive stare she carries around. Indie prestige movies are produced by studios as well whether you admit it or not).

Mulligan is completely different because she is not doing studio movies and secondly she proved herself with her Oscar nomination before she started getting roles. Indie producers and filmmakers are not in business of making stars as they can barely get movies made on their own. Lead acting roles usually go to actors who are either very good or who can help with securing financing/distribution. This is a completely different movie production model compared to the studio model. 

Mulligan is completely different because she is not doing studio movies and secondly she proved herself with her Oscar nomination before she started getting roles. Indie producers and filmmakers are not in business of making stars as they can barely get movies made on their own. Lead acting roles usually go to actors who are either very good or who can help with securing financing/distribution. This is a completely different movie production model compared to the studio model. 

You're naive. You tell me Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan were not "hot shit" covered by press to shove down our throats because they were not doing "studio movies"? :rolleyes:

Gatsby is not a "studio movie"? Yeah, right.

You don't realize that if an indie movie got Carey Mulligan as lead "to secure production", that is also a way of selling the movie better ("starring Oscar nom Carey Mulligan, the new Indie Darling hailed on every single fashion trendsetters!") hence she's shoved down people's throat because financial backers and directors think she's hot shit compared to anyone else. It's a snowball effect.

It's like Zooey Deschanel. Indie is a brand as well.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

The idea that directors like Refn, Mcqueen and Vinterberg are casting Mulligan because they want to shove her down public's throat is patently absurd.

Yeah, and we will not be delighted by countless Vanity Fair, Cosmopolitan and Harper Bazaar covers by the time her latest "indie" movie is getting released because they don't want to make her a star and a fashion icon at all like "studios" as well.

Yeah there is no such thing as Indie star system...That's why if she is cast in the next Lars Von Trier, that would gain no publicity traction at all for anyone involved (Nobody in the industry cares about that small festival that takes place at Cannes, right) and that will not be her lastest coup in trying to score all the prestige directors out there on her fancy IMDB resume to be touted as the actress every single "auteur" director is longing for.

[/sarcasm]

Sorry, I'm not that blind.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

When they do 7/8 movies in 4 years like Carey Mulligan, yes they are because the marketing hype machine behind feed that feeling.

Or because she has made friends and connections with producers and directors.

...that want to shove her down our throats for the last 4 years. Thanks.

Nope.  They cast her because they see something in her that would be good for the character that they are looking for.

I think you've crossed over into fishnets territory with your hate for her.  Your logic is negligible.  

Drive's character was supposed to be latina.

Drive was the first film Carey Mulligan signed on to after being nominated for an Academy Award for her role in An Education, which was directed by another Danish filmmaker Lone Scherfig. Scherfig is a good friend of Refn and she used to babysit him when he was a child.[16]At the time of Mulligan’s casting, Refn hadn’t seen An Education, but his wife was big fan of the film and Mulligan’s performance, and she urged him to cast her.[17][18] In the original script, the character was a Hispanic woman name Irina. The character was changed to Irene after Mulligan was cast.

How is that not "trying to force someone into a movie thanks to favoritism" even if the director (Refn) never watched the supposed performance she was nominated for to sign her on the movie because his good friend director tells him to do so and then totally changed the character's description in the script to suit an up-and-coming actress, and not the other way around like it's the common way (actress works to get into the role as it is written on page).

So stop trying to imply that I'm delusional or something. Those are facts I didn't invent out of thin air to suit my agenda against her.

Many think she's totally miscast as Daisy Buchanan in Great Gatsby as well.

Try again.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

That's a completely different discussion. Miscasting happens all the time in Hollywood and there is nothing nefarious about it most of the time. Like I said earlier, Drive was an independent production and movies like this need name actors. Maybe they couldn't find a Latina who fit the requirements imposed by the Investors. I agree about The Great Gatsby but Mulligan was hardly the most miscast actor in the movie with Tobey McGuire getting the role as the protagonist that he should never have. My point is that Mulligan isn't doing anything that other actresses aren't doing and she is doing it while mostly staying out of the studio system.

• Like 1