Fake

The International Box Office Discussion Thread

Is there a huge Turkish population in Germany? Enough to make box office hits? Impressive.

Not hits, but enough to generate a good weekend. There are about 3.5million of turkish origin (meaning, they speak Turkish) in Germany and Austria. Usually they have turkish satellite TV for their films but in the last years theaters and distributors have discovered them as a target group and present turkish films in selected urban theaters. Most of the films are melodrams or rom-coms but also some comedies and action films. Since these events are 1) rare and 2) exclusive to the Turkish community (your average german is about as allergic to subtitles as your average US citizen), these are real events for them. The legs however are usually very short since the core audience is so limited."Fetih 1453" is even more of an event - it's the most ambitious turkish film ever made - or at least, the most expensive - however that translates to quality :lol:. And it's about the conquest of Constantinople by the osman empire, so it caters to the patriotic side too - my theater is selling out its biggest screen for 9 shows this weekend. It's doing about as much business today as all the other films combined - including "The Vow", "Intouchables", "War Horse", "Underworld" and so on. But keep in mind, it's only in about every third theater (if not less) at all. Edited by IndustriousAngel

The only thing I hate about Germany is how they dub movies in their languages. Say I am there on holiday and don't understand a jack of their language, how am I so able to freakin' understand what I am seen.

Yes, don't know why that came about but nearly every shit gets dubbed here. It's a bit better in my theater, we got lots of students here so they offer original versions at least for english films, and we also got an arthouse playing 3 screens. In France or Italy or the Netherlands, there's nearly no dubbing and everything works fine, but in Germany+Austria, you would lose a lot of custormers if you try to sell them Robert Downey jr.'s real voice :unsure:

The only thing I hate about Germany is how they dub movies in their languages. Say I am there on holiday and don't understand a jack of their language, how am I so able to freakin' understand what I am seen.

Cool new avatar Tawa. Is it Punisher??Are you ever going to change your name again??

Yes, don't know why that came about but nearly every shit gets dubbed here. It's a bit better in my theater, we got lots of students here so they offer original versions at least for english films, and we also got an arthouse playing 3 screens. In France or Italy or the Netherlands, there's nearly no dubbing and everything works fine, but in Germany+Austria, you would lose a lot of custormers if you try to sell them Robert Downey jr.'s real voice :unsure:

I wonder if it's a Central European thing because they dub everything in the Czech Republic and Slovakia too.

And Portugal, there is no dubbing here at all :lol: (exception made with kids movies like Alvin, since even the Muppets had both options available, I saw the english version) And I am very happy with that.

Edited by CJohn