Olive

Guardians of the Galaxy OS Thread($768M WW Total )

Exhibitor Relations ‏@ERCboxoffice  39s40 seconds ago

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY ($733M) passed CAP 2 to become the 3rd highest-grossing Marvel film from Disney behind AVENGERS and IM3.

Edited by Ent
  • Like 4

In just its 2nd wekeend, China ia already the #1 territory ouside of the U.S. for GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY w/ $69M. Need 24M to beat Malef, seems a lock with 17M from China, 10M from Italy and 4-5M left in NA.

• Like 5

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3927&p=.htm

Guardians of the Galaxy was back on top of the international box office this weekend; the movie added $23.1 million for a new total of $405 million. 

Most of that came from China, where Guardians eased 28 percent to $22.3 million. Reports that bad subtitles were causing poor word-of-mouth seem to be unfounded. To date, Guardians has earned $69 million in China, and has a legitimate shot at ultimately reaching $100 million.

The 10th movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe has now grossed $733 million worldwide, which is ahead of Captain America: The Winter Soldier and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. With Italy on the way next weekend, Guardians of the Galaxy is guaranteed to ultimately move up to second place for the year ahead of Maleficent ($757 million).
  • Like 1

I'd like to point out that between the Amazing Spider-Man ($758M) and Ice Age 4 ($877M), there is a stretch of 18 films that are all in 2D, with no 3D film in between. As much as I want GotG to be successful, I must admit that it would be cool (for BO nerds like me) if that stretch of 2D films remained intact.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

• Like 3

Guardians should take the number 3, 4 or 5 of the year WW depending on Interstellar and Big Hero 6.

Personally, i see something like this:

1. Transformers: AOE: 1087 WW

2. The Hobbit 3: 1025 WW

3. Guardians: 760 WW

4. Maleficent: 757 WW

5. Interstellar: 750 WW

• Like 1

Guardians should take the number 3, 4 or 5 of the year WW depending on Interstellar and Big Hero 6.

You forgot Mockingjay

• Like 3

Good list, though Interstellar could go higher IMO. Don't forget Mockingjay 1 though.

• Like 2

Thanks, i forgot Mockingjay.

1. Transformers: 1087 WW

3. Mockingjay: 850 WW

4. Guardians. 760 WW

5. Interstellar: 758 WW

I really didnt like Maleficent...lol. Interstellar could actually take the 3 spot, i think it could go from 700m to 1B.

• Like 3

Thanks, i forgot Mockingjay.

1. Transformers: 1087 WW

3. Mockingjay: 850 WW

4. Guardians. 760 WW

5. Interstellar: 758 WW

I really didnt like Maleficent...lol. Interstellar could actually take the 3 spot, i think it could go from 700m to 1B.

Do you really think Hobbit 3 won't surpass TF4? I think it will reach at least $1.1B and might even surpass LOTR 3. It is the final part of the trilogy, China continues to grow and the Hobbit 2 was actually well-received compared to the first (higher rating on Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic, Flixster and equal to Hobbit 1 on IMDb). Just look at the bumps that HP7: P2, LOTR 3 and Twilight 4: P2 had (all are final chapters).

• Like 1

Do you really think Hobbit 3 won't surpass TF4? I think it will reach at least $1.1B and might even surpass LOTR 3. It is the final part of the trilogy, China continues to grow and the Hobbit 2 was actually well-received compared to the first (higher rating on Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic, Flixster and equal to Hobbit 1 on IMDb). Just look at the bumps that HP7: P2, LOTR 3 and Twilight 4: P2 had (all are final chapters).

I dont rule it, just put things in perspective. DOS decresed from AUJ, that's way i'm not given it a bigger jump. I really liked most parts of DOS, but i put the WOM on par or very slightly better than AUJ, nothing really explosive. I'm not sure the final chapter stuff will be equivalent of those franchises you say, all of them were coming from growing with each installment.

I dont rule it, just put things in perspective. DOS decresed from AUJ, that's way i'm not given it a bigger jump. I really liked most parts of DOS, but i put the WOM on par or very slightly better than AUJ, nothing really explosive. I'm not sure the final chapter stuff will be equivalent of those franchises you say, all of them were coming from growing with each installment.

The problem with the first two installments of the Hobbit trilogy is that they don't have proper endings. The build up is pretty nice (a bit long winded but still, decent!) but the climax is lacking, and the ending winds up being either anti-climactic (AUJ) or a cliffhanger (DoS). This basically makes the whole film seem too long and pointless. That's what happens when you chop a medium length book into 3 parts I guess. The battle of the five armies will have a proper ending though and it should be reflected in the box office.