CJohn

Minecraft | April 4, 2025 | Warner Bros.

I don't think this is coming close to Mario numbers. The trailer for that at least excited both the video game fans and the GA. This doesn't seem to be doing either so far, actually the opposite just from a cursory glance at social media reactions. 

My general approach on things like this that aren't targeted towards me is to reserve judgement until I talk to someone who it is aimed at.

I just spoke to my 11 year old that's been fairly obsessed with Minecraft in the past, and still maintains a fondness for the franchise. He's also a big movie fan and generally is game to see anything remotely appropriate for him.

He does not like this and says he'll probably not want to see it. He said it looks like the bad fake trailers that YouTubers put out.

Maybe the IP awareness gets this to respectable numbers, or maybe it'll resonate younger, but this looks like a major whiff.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

For all the Detective Pikachu comparisons, that movie and trailer look far better than this did. People just vastly overshot trailer views/recognizability translating to box office. That being said that seems realistic at this stage.

I think the extemely close proximity to Endgame killed that, especially internationally.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think the extemely close proximity to Endgame killed that, especially internationally.

I think I've said it before, but Detective Pikachu came out at the worst possible year competition-wise. No matter where you put it on the schedule that summer, it would have been overshadowed by Endgame, by Toy Story, by Spider-Man, by Lion King, and so on. Even in the springtime, it would have been overshadowed by Captain Marvel and/or the build-up to Endgame. Even the holidays were a bad time with Frozen/Jumanji/Star Wars. If Pikachu came out in July 2018 or something, it would have at the very least made close to Lego Movie numbers IMO, at least domestically.

5 hours ago, Eric Deetz said:

I think I've said it before, but Detective Pikachu came out at the worst possible year competition-wise. No matter where you put it on the schedule that summer, it would have been overshadowed by Endgame, by Toy Story, by Spider-Man, by Lion King, and so on. Even in the springtime, it would have been overshadowed by Captain Marvel and/or the build-up to Endgame. Even the holidays were a bad time with Frozen/Jumanji/Star Wars. If Pikachu came out in July 2018 or something, it would have at the very least made close to Lego Movie numbers IMO, at least domestically.

If Lego 2 was dying anyways, it and Pikachu should’ve swapped spots and both would’ve benefited from it.

• Like 2

It took ten years for this movie to be made. I had doubts from the start, but after seeing this, I just don't have hope in it at all. The character models minus the Creeper look absolutely atrocious. I don't have high hopes for this, but what do I know? I'm not a kid anymore.

Just remembered that this trailer existed. Damn, that was a peaceful 12 hours of existence.

This is going to give Cats and Borderlands a run for their money. Jack Black needs to stop taking video game roles. You nailed Bowser, you’ve earned your gold. These 3 films after Jumanji, you’re overdoing it.

Really curious what Rob McElheny’s version of this film was going to be…

Yeah this is more likely to follow the steps of Borderlands than Mario's movie.

The production looks atrocious, I know the target audience are kids but damn, all looks goofy and out of place. 

Like if the movie doesn't know if it wants to be live action or animated cgi, this is going to please no one.

Edited by Belakor

4 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

The officially credited Production Designer on this product, Grant Major, is an Oscar winner for LOTR-3, with four additional nominations.

His last film was one of those noms, The Power of the Dog.

And now he’s doing this dreck. What is going on in this industry…

The production design here actually looks pretty good tbh and there’s a surprisingly large amount practical sets used based on the BTS pictures. It’s just all shot like a shitty skit.

• Like 2