Impact

Best Supporting Actor-2014 predictions!

ehh, i dunno about ruffalo winning. I'm sure he's great but it's a very quiet not-showy role, even in most of the reviews I've read they'll spend ages on carrell and tatum and end the paragraph with a "...and ruffalo's great too!" sure he'll be nominated though.

I'm just not sure who else it could be. Hawke or Norton would be cool but I can't see it, not at this point. J.K. Simmons' win would be his nomination. Maybe they'll all split the vote and Waltz will win his third which would be fucking hilarious, but I don't seriously believe that'll happen. 

• Like 1

If that's the case I can definitely see Ruffalo taking this.

from your post to God's ears  ;)

I think based on the competitiveness of the field, Tatum could very well go back to supporting. I actually wouldn't even pen him in for a non in leading atm. 

1 of the main guys def will go supporting imo

Edited by Tauriel

I do believe there's a small chance it could pull a Winter's Bone / Kids Are All Right and get a Best Picture nod, plus maybe Original Screenplay. It's an excellent movie all around and the ending will make people float out of the theater. And yes, Simmons has as much of a chance to win as anyone else. 

• Like 2

J. K. Simmons - Whiplash

Ethan Hawke - Boyhood

Edward Norton - Birdman

Mark Ruffalo - Foxcatcher

Can't decide on the fifth guy. Could be Waltz, Wilkinson, or Roth. Can't see anyone from Gone Girl here, though - both Perry and NPH are very good but the parts themselves don't really go beyond functional.

• Like 1

Saw Whiplash yesterday and J. K. Simmons is fucking fantastic in it. Pretty sure a well-deserved nomination is coming his way.

:drool:  :drool:  :drool:  Im going tomorrow  B)

this film is like the most praised Ive tracked in a while. havent seen a single negative/mixed tweet from LFF for example 

Edited by Tauriel

John Goodman deserves a nomination just for saying "fuck you" to Mark Wahlberg several times in less than a minute.

Seriously though, he looks like one badass motherfucker in The Gambler trailer, definitely gets your attention. I hope he got some good material to work with.

Tatum is still here, right? The lead category is so packed he has little to no chance to be nominated there, but based on reviews he could get in supporting pretty easily. 

I'm even happier that Simmons is the frontrunner here after reading that some producers only wanted Kevin Spacey, Kevin Costner or Kevin Kline in the role, after which Damien Chazelle ditched them and went looking for money elsewhere. Not to say the Kevins wouldn't have been interesting, but Simmons owns the role and deserves the Oscar so much.

Edited by Jake Gittes