JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

One thing to remember is market capacity the two biggest single days ever was boxing day holiday monday 28-dec-09 9.6m the 2nd biggest boxing day Sat 26-dec-09 9.5m at that time you had Avatar wk2 and openings of sherlock, alvin, Old dogs, the biggest single gross for a film on those days 3.6m(Avatar Mon) with Sherlock& alvin being quite high pie was split amongst titleswhen fellowship opened it took 55% of boxday figure but also the only other competition was Monsters Inc & week5 of Harry Potter and not much in following weeks, Two Towers 60% of the day HP week5 & Die..Day week3 the day also took 9.2m in total and not much following weeks title wise. Return King in 03(68% boxday take) love actually opened and big brother Peter Pan week2 & Master com week4.This year along with Hobbit is Les Miz, WIR, Parental G(prob wont do much) and holdovers PitchP,Skyfall the following week LOP,Jack reacher openI don't think Hobbit with everything else in Market have as bigger opening as other LOTR if nothing else because a lot more choose titles around compared to other years and ever if boxing day itself achieved a record the pie's being split many ways.also because of extra product this year among other titles word is Hobbit 40-50m range (low range could be bit lower 37-38 depending on market forces), Les Miz around 20 but many willing to see it go 25-30+ WIR at least 20, let alone other titles slotted for Jan.It'll be interesting Dec/Jan.Skyfall is heading to be well over 40m(could be at 40m by boxing day)

Edited by Rth
  • Like 1

One thing to remember is market capacity the two biggest single days ever was boxing day holiday monday 28-dec-09 9.6m the 2nd biggest boxing day Sat 26-dec-09 9.5m at that time you had Avatar wk2 and openings of sherlock, alvin, Old dogs, the biggest single gross for a film on those days 3.6m(Avatar Mon) with Sherlock& alvin being quite high pie was split amongst titleswhen fellowship opened it took 55% of boxday figure but also the only other competition was Monsters Inc & week5 of Harry Potter and not much in following weeks, Two Towers 60% of the day HP week5 & Die..Day week3 the day also took 9.2m in total and not much following weeks title wise. Return King in 03(68% boxday take) love actually opened and big brother Peter Pan week2 & Master com week4.This year along with Hobbit is Les Miz, WIR, Parental G(prob wont do much) and holdovers PitchP,Skyfall the following week LOP,Jack reacher openI don't think Hobbit with everything else in Market have as bigger opening as other LOTR if nothing else because a lot more choose titles around compared to other years and ever if boxing day itself achieved a record the pie's being split many ways.also because of extra product this year among other titles word is Hobbit 40-50m range (low range could be bit lower 37-38 depending on market forces), Les Miz around 20 but many willing to see it go 25-30+ WIR at least 20, let alone other titles slotted for Jan.It'll be interesting Dec/Jan.Skyfall is heading to be well over 40m(could be at 40m by boxing day)

Great post..... These types of actual market analysis make more sense than ROTK+inflation+3D.

so Australia is like China TH is killed by competition?

It's not 'killed'.... TH1 will still be the strongest horse in the fight.... it's just that it won't have a free run. To remain unaffected, it would have to deliver on quality.

It's not 'killed'.... TH1 will still be the strongest horse in the fight.... it's just that it won't have a free run. To remain unaffected, it would have to deliver on quality.

Both main newspapers here have given it glowing reviews. And there is definitely excitement here, so I'd say 45-50+ is likely.

I just realized in Australia's top10 for 2012 there are 6 2D movies. That has to be a record in 2012, even DOM there are only 5.Russia has 2 (at one time it only had 1 in the top20).edit: Germany has also 6 atmand Austria 7 ?????Brazil 5

Edited by Rudolf

I just realized in Australia's top10 for 2012 there are 6 2D movies. That has to be a record in 2012, even DOM there are only 5.Russia has 2 (at one time it only had 1 in the top20).edit: Germany has also 6 atm

Actually there's seven so far, TDKR, Ted, THG, BD2, Marigold Hotel, Sherlock Holmes and Snow White.

It's felt to me like there's been less 3D movies this year. Last 3D film I saw was Paranorman back on September.

I know exactly what you mean.I felt like 2011 and especially 2010 we were overloaded with 3D, but this year, I think the only 3D film I've seen is TASM.

I think that FOTR is most comparable here given that boxing day falls on a wednesday this year (Same as the year FOTR was released). Start of a new trilogy. Remember Fellowship managed a 9.7m Weekend after and OD of 4.1m (wednesday).Forgetting 3D effects, inflation alone puts that the equivalent of a 14.2m OW after a 5.9m OD. that kind of opening is easily possible here... frankly i wouldn't be surprised to see it higher ... much higher .Harry Potter 7.2 proved it's possible but given that film basically owned market which is something the hobbit will not i think. I don't see a record falling here (I'll reserve the records for second film when it has boxing day on a thursday (perfect opening weekend in order there)), but no question it will be up amongst the best....OD = 6.3mOW = 16.1m (22.4m including the OD)from that point, 55m+ doesn't seem much of a stretch as I expect better legs than Harry could ever accomplish. I'm willing say titanic yet, but it's very very possible.And no I don't see Skyfall being above The Hobbit. Frankly while it would be awesome to see it reach 50m i think it will ultimately fall short... 47 to 48m is where i think it will wind up.

• Like 1