JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

Japan is a weird country. Poland should be friendlier to Hobbit and the country has come a long way since a decade ago, i think.

Of course. It is just I think 15 million would be enormous and unexpected (at least since my point of view). I wish you are right.

Supposedly, it hasn't opened in Poland yet either. How big is the market? What can we expect? $15m?

It actually opened on tuesday with loads of preshows. Though the official date is set on 28th.There are so many factors being in favour for the Hobbit that it'll be dissapointing if it doesn't hit at least 10 mln.I mean come on, if Madagascar 3 could do that this year, than why not Hobbit.It has a good $-PLN exchange rate, lots of buzz in the media( I've seen at least 20 adv of it on TV last days), seems to have a big fanbase( LOTR is very popular here, which I witnessed couple of months ago attending lotr extended edition marathon, where literally dozens of halls were 100% full). And it's Christmas folks, the season which films usually benefit from.I'm seeing this tomorrow, so may have a chance to take a glimpse at its attendance to check if it's doing well at theaters. Edited by Ajde

good opening in australia, the 52nd state of usa. however, i think it will be frontloaded, and wom poor will not enable a huge multiplier. looks set to finish around 40-44m.

Still a long way from that!And poor WOM? Where is this poor WOM coming from? I've been asking people as they have come out of cinemas if they liked it, about 90% did!(Totally scientific.... totally....) Edited by Ball Lightning
  • Like 1

good opening in australia, the 52nd state of usa. however, i think it will be frontloaded, and wom poor will not enable a huge multiplier. looks set to finish around 40-44m.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. never laughed so much in my life. you would like to think it's the 52nd state... if we do get a 15m+ OW, then 50m is all but locked..... best comparison for such a large opening will be harry Potter 8's opening and it had shocking legs for australia 7m OD, 18m OW, final 53m (with that opening 60m should have happened)
  • Like 2

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. never laughed so much in my life. you would like to think it's the 52nd state... if we do get a 15m+ OW, then 50m is all but locked..... best comparison for such a large opening will be harry Potter 8's opening and it had shocking legs for australia 7m OD, 18m OW, final 53m (with that opening 60m should have happened)

That run still pisses me off to this day.Titanic should have been a lock - and a very good chance at $60m. To drop out at $53m seems quite underwhelming compared to what could have been.But again, who can get angry with $53m?!

From the courier mail today. Top ten opening days. 1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2011) - 7.029m2. The Avengers (2012) - 6.004m3. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) - 5.925m4. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (2003) - 5.289m5. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) - 5.230m6. The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2009) - 5.056m7. The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (2010) - 4.425m8. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009) - 4.374m9. The Matrix Reloaded (2003) - 4.174m10. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) - 4.099mThought it interesting.

• Like 1

From the courier mail today. Top ten opening days. 1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2011) - 7.029m2. The Avengers (2012) - 6.004m3. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) - 5.925m4. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (2003) - 5.289m5. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) - 5.230m6. The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2009) - 5.056m7. The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (2010) - 4.425m8. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009) - 4.374m9. The Matrix Reloaded (2003) - 4.174m10. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) - 4.099mThought it interesting.

RTH, any chance of getting this list with full numbers, not just decimals?

Just tlking about the new fast and furious with the family...Then we got to talking about a Fast and Furious filmed down under. I wonder how much it would make here..I honestly wouldn't rule out over $40m (provided it was good of course)... Just a random thought..

Th1 droped 42% from Wed (FOTR droped 35%) 3.4m it should be able to get to 13m for weekend, LM dwn 30% 1.3, Sky WIR PG dwn 15% or less

Pretty good for TH1.... I was expecting (taking a shot in the dark) a 50% drop.So 13m weekend. Will require 3.4x multiplier to hit 50m. Doable.Skyfall heading for 1.7-1.8m I believe. What will be the cume after this weekend? Is 50m doable?

I'd also be looking at $14m weekend give or take a few. Just saw it again in 48FPS at George St VMAX. It looks so much more real. The movement at times does seem a little different but you get used to it quickly. Preferred the VMAX theatre to the digital IMAX at the Entertainment Quarter.

• Like 1

I'd also be looking at $14m weekend give or take a few. Just saw it again in 48FPS at George St VMAX. It looks so much more real. The movement at times does seem a little different but you get used to it quickly. Preferred the VMAX theatre to the digital IMAX at the Entertainment Quarter.

I'm not sure if the 48fps has anything to do with it, but I LOVE the Entertainment Quarter IMAX - I actually prefer it to the real IMAX (or maybe I just haven't seen the right movie in it yet)

VMAX has full lounge seats with your own arm rest on either side. At the EQ the seats are together and you share the same arm rest. You notice the difference when an overweight individual with a big bucket of popcorn sits next to you. There also isn't that big of a difference in screen size.

• Like 1