Films

Weekend estimates | Veronica mars- 2M (down 39% on Sat), 300 2-19.1M,LEGO (7.71M), non-stop (10.6M)

The Muppets was about as perfect of a family film as you can possibly ask for, and still barely managed a 3x multi with Holiday legs. If Most Wanted is  of a significantly lesser quality, then a 3x multi is probably too  much to ask for. If it doesn't at leats hit 20m OW, which isn't a guarantee, it's gonna be screwed at the box office.

Jesus marshmallows... thats a steep drop for Mars. But given the availability of the digital version, It is understandable. Only the hardcore fans went out on day one. Hopefully it holds out a bit better than this weekend is leading me to believe. 

Jesus marshmallows... thats a steep drop for Mars. But given the availability of the digital version, It is understandable. Only the hardcore fans went out on day one. Hopefully it holds out a bit better than this weekend is leading me to believe. 

Huge built in fan base usually means front loaded , but 2m and top 10 with limited theaters and even more limited number of shows per screen is still awesome. I'll see it again on Discount Tuesday as  I think it's only booked for a 1 week run so that will be it.

Most optimistic high end is a 3m total.

Huge built in fan base usually means front loaded , but 2m and top 10 with limited theaters and even more limited number of shows per screen is still awesome. I'll see it again on Discount Tuesday as  I think it's only booked for a 1 week run so that will be it.

It also pretty much had no advertising to speak of. $2m OW is fantastic for it.

Is it only one week? I guess it would make sense. Also, the 6M budget they have listed... how does that work given that most of that was the Kickstarter, was it not?

Is it only one week? I guess it would make sense. Also, the 6M budget they have listed... how does that work given that most of that was the Kickstarter, was it not?

Entirely KS, I believe. But regardless of how they got the money, the budget is the budget. It does mean that the theatrical release is almost pure profit, though.

The biggest issue with Video Game films failing is they stray to far away from the source Material.  "Super Mario Bros" is the most iconic game of all time but the movie bomb cause they had Mario and Luigi in some futuristic world that looked nothing like the game.  "Street Fighter" failed cause they made the main character Van Damme when in the game it's Ken and Ryu.  "Tomb Rider" did well mainly cause it stay true to the source and Angie is a draw.  The 1st "Mortal Combat" did well also cause it stayed true to the source.  A Lord of the Rings/Hobbitt esque "Legend of Zelda" film could be a success to me.  There are plenty of rich stories in the Video Game World it's just Hollywood has a terrible habit of changing the source material so bad that gamers don't care for the movies.  "Need for Speed" was too busy trying to another "Fast and Furious".  I think the "Resident Evil" films have worked cause it brought in the fanbase of the games and the general audience too.  

• Like 3

Thats what I thought. I couldnt remember the exact number of the Kickstarter, but it makes you wonder what that $$ amount Bell was talking about that needs to be attained in order to get us a sequel. 

Well, it needs to make something so WB goes forward with the next one. Because it's not likely to get another KS campaign to get the money up front. While most things are pure profit at this point, that's just for this film. It needs to be big enough (theatrical + video sales) to inspire confidence.

Note that while the theatrical run is all profit, the video release isn't exactly. About 65,000 of the KS backers got digital downloads of the film as part of their pledge.  So WB is probably looking at how many MORE people go for the video release.

The $66 million movie made up ground overseas, however, where it took in $45.6 million, including a $21.2 million launch in China, for a worldwide start of $63.2 million.

"It's a disappointing start on the domestic side, but to open to that number worldwide and nearly match the budget of the film is great. This was a very affordable movie and with many territories left to open, everyone will be just fine. We feel great about where we are," said Dave Hollis, distribution chief for Disney, which is DreamWorks' partner and released Need for Speed in North America and select overseas markets.

Dude speaks the truth. lol