Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

No, resolution is measured by horizontal lines. 720p is 1.2K (1280x720), 1080p is close to 2K (1920x1080). But broadcasters (right now, at least) don't use 1080p, they'll broadcast at either 1080i (fields of 960p alternating lines) or they'll do 720p (true full-frame, at 1280x720). Blu-ray uses 1080p24 (24 frames of full-frame 1920x1080).

You can buy a 4K TV for 2-3,000, that's not necessarily the limiting factor (and, of course, you get what you pay for... higher-quality TVs or projectors are significantly more expensive). And the Sony 4K player isn't necessarily super-expensive either... it's about $700. It's that if you're streaming content, you're basically losing the reason to watch 4K anyway, since streaming compression is going to be significant enough to minimize the benefit. And you have limited movies -- a couple hundred, I think. And... more to the point, many of them probably aren't mastered to 4K to begin with! They'll have a 2K master that's up-sampled to 4K. So, it's not particularly worth it... unless you use a professional cinema camera for your home videos.

Yes, but that's basically marketing speak. Even if they're mastered in 4K, if they're encoded in 1080p (which they have to be, to meet the current Blu-ray specs and playback), then they're 1080p videos just like anything else. Now, mastering in 4K is nice, and good, and I'm not knocking it at all. But that's not the equivalent of playing back that movie at true 4K... you're playing it back in "almost 2k".

It's always helpful to keep the whole pipeline in mind, and remember that in order to be truly 4K (or whatever resolution), it needs to stay that way through the entire process: it needs to be acquired in 4K (or more), mastered in 4K (or more), projected or played back at 4K (or more) on a display or screen that's capable of 4K (or more).

That being said, it's also worth keeping in mind that resolution is only part of the equation for a beautiful looking image and there are other factors that're equally important (if not moreso): frame rate, shutter speed/angle, dynamic range (both in acquisition and playback), brightness of projection, color fidelity, etc.

Thanks Tele buddy for the info my friend.. Wait I think there will be more 4K content between 2015-2016, so

if its going to be that affordable.... Things in HDTV technology will change forever, if one is willing to far go

live broadcasts for paid supercontent or 4k content coming out soon Im sure on special Blue Rays Discs.

I think 4k is going to be pushed bigtime in 2015 :)..

• Like 1

I read an interview of Sigourney Weaver in a magazine where she answers questions about the 35th anniversary blu ray box set of the Aliens movies and she reveals she will spend her whole 2015 on the New Zealand sets to shoot the Avatar movies.

Cameron refused the invitation to the Deauville film, festival in September because he is knee deep into Avatar pre production. Zoé Saldana just popped her baby, and Weta Digital computers will soon end their work on the last Hobbit movie so they can fully commit their computer power to Pandora and its moons.

The 2016 Christmas date will be met, there is no fate but what we make.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

Finally.

YE GOTTAAA HEEEY GZZZZZAAA < VAMMOUREESSSSSSSS HEYY --yaaaayy ---gwwwwwann zzaaann aamaaatu..

" WE WILL SEND THEM THE MESSAGE!"

FROM JAMES CAMERON--- THE DIRECTOR OF ALIENS, TERMINATOR, TERMINATOR II, ABYSS,

TITANIC, AVATAR...COMES THE WORLD BREAKER...

A Phenemoneon of 4B WW potential is coming... Will the BO ever be the same..

1B Domestic???, 3+B OS!!!! 120FPS ....... 3D Pushed Even further.. JAmes Cameron with an unlimited budget and actually

getting Writing help from the likes of the gent that wrote Apes 2..

You said James Cameron couldnt do it again.. Guess what bishes your Day has come!!!

DECEMBER 2016 JAMES JOINS THE ALL TIME LIST FOR THE 3RD TIME IN THE ROW!!!!

Disney throws out their first Law dog a stellar trailer teaser for Avengers 2.. Do you think it will be enough to keep this race close domestic??

Kal's opinion == Not a microscopic stratch on either the domestic or OS haul will the Avengers 2 make..

Still love the new Pinocchio Song made for the movie..... " I HAVE NOOOOO STRINGSS TO HOLDDD ME DOWN!"

Great first entry for the legendary behemoths.

We still have see Disneys SW7 teaser,

And  what on earth will James Cameron unleash on the world for his first Teaser???!!!

Fox is ready... And all these folks that try to put the lone Juggernaut in a box....Forgot one thing.

" THE FANS OF JAMES FRACCKING CAMERON AND PANDORIA WILL NOT BE DENIED!!"

The movie was advertised as 4K, or the theater? 4K projection isn't unusual these days (though there are still lots of places using 2K), but it's still fairly rare to have a movie mastered in 4K.

Hey Tele you know if James achieves a movie that pushes the mind, heart and emotion and visual senses beyond Avatar .. We may see that 1B domestic in one run.. Cant wait!

They always said if any film was going to do it , it would be the work of James Cameron...

Salvating for the 2016.

Avatar was supposed to be released in 2007, we all know that it wasn't.

Considering  that we are talking about James Cameron, that they have to shot 3 movies and have a the post-production of the first, IMHO the movie will be out in December 2018 (maybe even December 2019)

Edited by Filmovie

Avatar was supposed to be released in 2007, we all know that it wasn't.

Considering  that we are talking about James Cameron, that they have to shot 3 movies and have a the post-production of the first, IMHO the movie will be out in December 2018 (maybe even December 2019)

Film he didnt release it because the technology wasnt there  and he had to have a whole facilty built. James Cameron is now worth about  1billion dollars with facility spanning several stories of computers with Avatar designs ready to be used or added that werent used in movie 1... 

I think things have changed... The film will be on time.

Will this movie ever go into production? I'm starting to wonder.

I'm sure it will eventually get made but it seems like forever since the last one.

JC is expected to make a major annoucement between Dec and January... Im pretty sure it will be on time.

They have perfected Avatar Technology and only need to expand on it some for the new elements and scenarios.

Should be 1yr+ to 2yrs+ tops Eddy.. Cant wait until we get our first teaser of what the Juggernaut 2

will be about.. Im wondering if they kidnap Jakes Son or Neferteryi and he has to go get her amongst the humans

and even venture out in space!

JC is expected to make a major annoucement between Dec and January... Im pretty sure it will be on time.

They have perfected Avatar Technology and only need to expand on it some for the new elements and scenarios.

Should be 1yr+ to 2yrs+ tops Eddy.. Cant wait until we get our first teaser of what the Juggernaut 2

will be about.. Im wondering if they kidnap Jakes Son or Neferteryi and he has to go get her amongst the humans

and even venture out in space!

Won't be released in 2015. Source for Dec-Jan announcement?

• Like 1

still cannot find any solid info on its release date...

"December 2016", with the other sequels planned in December of the following years.

http://deadline.com/2013/08/fox-james-cameron-set-group-of-writers-to-spearhead-trio-of-avatar-sequels-554531/

This info is over a year old, but as far as I know no change has been announced for the release dates.

• Like 2

"December 2016", with the other sequels planned in December of the following years.

http://deadline.com/2013/08/fox-james-cameron-set-group-of-writers-to-spearhead-trio-of-avatar-sequels-554531/

This info is over a year old, but as far as I know no change has been announced for the release dates.

It s funy because other studios announce movie dates as if the Avatar sequels weren t coming.

I mean, are we really gonna have a Christmas with an Avatar movie and Star Wars VIII ?

I don't believe that for a second, someone will move.

• Like 2