Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

On 1/2/2016 at 0:15 PM, tribefan695 said:

Cameron's 24 years younger than Clint Eastwood. Hopefully he maintains his filmmaking passion just as long

Probably irrelevant since Cameron is never gonna be the type of filmmaker than churns them out like Eastwood/Scott. Once he's done with Avatar, we'll probably have at least half a decade till his next one, if not more. 

Edited by MovieMan89

12 hours ago, Darth Rallax said:

You say this like these are good things.  

Well seems like the series he's doing got an 8 out of 10 on average and predators was a hit and one of the best films in the saga. So to most of the world he has done good work.  Also loved desperado with Antonio banderes 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Probably irrelevant since Cameron is never gonna be the type of filmmaker than churns them out like Eastwood/Scott. Once he's done with Avatar, we'll probably have at least half a decade till his next one, if not more. 

Nope he has lots of projects with his deal with fox 

22 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

avatareCameron's said she's really dead, unlike Grace. I don't think she's coming back. Norm will be an interesting story as a human on the side of the NaVi without an avatar

Hey tribe fan I hope your wrong on this one and agreed Lil norms story arc has infinite possibilities 

The quickest Cameron ever worked was earlier in his career, when he wasn't doing the intensive world-building that he's done with AVATAR (and, to a lesser extent, with TITANIC).

86-89-91-94-97... basically two to three years between movies. But that's a pretty grueling pace for huge action blockbusters that have a long and complicated production schedule (and a long post schedule too), and it's understandable that he'd want to slow down and spend some time on his family and other non-industry interests.

Eastwood basically has a very laid-back style, he shoots very quickly and he likes to wrap days as early as possible. That's one reason he's able to be so productive.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

The quickest Cameron ever worked was earlier in his career, when he wasn't doing the intensive world-building that he's done with AVATAR (and, to a lesser extent, with TITANIC).

86-89-91-94-97... basically two to three years between movies. But that's a pretty grueling pace for huge action blockbusters that have a long and complicated production schedule (and a long post schedule too), and it's understandable that he'd want to slow down and spend some time on his family and other non-industry interests.

Eastwood basically has a very laid-back style, he shoots very quickly and he likes to wrap days as early as possible. That's one reason he's able to be so productive.

Yeah, I'm not implying Cameron should have been able to work quicker on his pre Avatar films because they are the type that require long production schedules. But I'm sure he will continue to do those kinds, and obviously prefers a leisurely pace since Titanic so I'm not expecting very many films from 2-3 more decades of Cameron. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Looking really forward to Avatar 2. Had a helluva time with the first one and even my wife likes it (while she hates each and every other SciFi-movie). As far as this goes: @Kalel009Shel: since you're the biggest Cameron nut (no pun intended) here around, how are our chances to really be able to see a 12.2017 release? Since Worthington is doing The Titan beforehand (which should keep him busy at least ten or twelve weeks), Avatar 2, 3 & 4 being shot b2b and finally Cameron being a perfectionist rex, isn't 12.2018 more realistic?

No intent of trolling or bickering on my side, I'd love a 2017 release as well as the next man too, but it seems a bit... ambitious, even for Cameron. I read that the assets (sets, models, world concepts, ect.) are mostly done (despite doing some additional work on the screenplays), so that should not be a liability, but shooting the actors parts alone should take up to six (or more) months, not counting the cgi production and the merging of actors / green screen and the cgi stuff. And then the editing. pew... As I said, this seems a bit (too) ambitious in my book.

• Like 2

I'm far from an expert on directing but none of Eastwood's movies have seemed visually impressive to me in any way. While his productivity especially at his age is remarkable, I'd bet that Cameron put more blood and sweat into Titanic and Avatar than Eastwood has in all his movies combined over the same 20 year period.

14 minutes ago, incognitoo said:

but shooting the actors parts alone should take up to six (or more) months...

Not so much, actually. Mo-cap is actually pretty quick, compared to live-action shoots. (Jackson "shot" all of TINTIN in three weeks, for example). Cameron's got three movies to capture, so that'll take longer, obviously, but they can also break up the shoots into chunks, if need be. A few weeks here, a few weeks there. Production and post kinda blend together for heavy mo-cap movies as well.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, incognitoo said:

No intent of trolling or bickering on my side, I'd love a 2017 release as well as the next man too, but it seems a bit... ambitious, even for Cameron. I read that the assets (sets, models, world concepts, ect.) are mostly done (despite doing some additional work on the screenplays), so that should not be a liability, but shooting the actors parts alone should take up to six (or more) months, not counting the cgi production and the merging of actors / green screen and the cgi stuff. And then the editing. pew... As I said, this seems a bit (too) ambitious in my book.

Yes, it's extremely unlikely imo. I decided a year or two ago to just assume we won't see Avatar 2 before December 2018, with 2019 a distinct possibility. Cameron said in April 2014 that the scripts would be done in six weeks. They still aren't done. James Horner said in spring 2015 that Cameron was having difficulty condensing all his ideas into just 3 more Avatars.

I'm not hoping Cameron will churn out a film every 1-2 years like Eastwood, just that he will still be making films in his mid 80s.

Initially it's disappointing to hear they won't be exploring other planets/moons, but in reality it probably just means the location of the other visually stunning set pieces they have in mind will be set on Pandora rather than elsewhere

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Not so much, actually. Mo-cap is actually pretty quick, compared to live-action shoots. (Jackson "shot" all of TINTIN in three weeks, for example). Cameron's got three movies to capture, so that'll take longer, obviously, but they can also break up the shoots into chunks, if need be. A few weeks here, a few weeks there. Production and post kinda blend together for heavy mo-cap movies as well.

I see. Thanks, I really did not know that. Well, to be honest it's not the motion capture stuff that makes me wonder. I am more concerned with the live actors stuff - provided it is not less substancial as with the first one. Of course I understand that for example the Hobbit trilogy was shot and post-produced within a three years time frame - with the first two movies been shot within 18 months (if my memory does not fail me) and it might be the same with Avatar 2 - 4. However since Cameron is a rather demanding director, who does not shy away from "just another take"-"another take please"-"and once again please", it is a pretty strict time table he's got at his hands. Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

Just now, incognitoo said:

I see. Thanks, I really did not know that. Well, to be honest it's not the motion capture stuff that makes me wonder. I am more concerned with the live actors stuff - provided it is not less substancial as with the first one. Of course I understand that for example the Hobbit trilogy was shot and post-produced within a three years time frame - with the first two movies been shot within 18 months (if my memory does not fail me) and it might be the same with Avatar 2 - 4. However since Cameron is a rather demanding director, who does not shy away from "just another take"-"another take please"-"and once again please", it is a pretty strict time table he's got at his hands. Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

I'm not sure THE HOBBITs are a good comp in terms of production; they were much larger from a production standpoint than I'm assuming the AVAquels will be (I'm assuming they're gonna be almost entirely mo-cap). Once you have the equipment/stage set-up, "shooting" basically becomes like a rehearsal space. You don't have to spend time lighting, doing a company move to another location, shepherding hundreds of extras, and all the countless things that make live-action production a complete slog. You just data-capture performances, you don't even have to worry about angles or setups. Stripped away of all the things that slow down a shoot, a director working with a small crew and small groups of actors can get quite a lot done.

20 minutes ago, arlo said:

Yes, it's extremely unlikely imo. I decided a year or two ago to just assume we won't see Avatar 2 before December 2018, with 2019 a distinct possibility. Cameron said in April 2014 that the scripts would be done in six weeks. They still aren't done. James Horner said in spring 2015 that Cameron was having difficulty condensing all his ideas into just 3 more Avatars.

Well, concerning the release date, I feel a bit like the imaginary son of Mulder and Scully. I want to believe, but then... my mother's genes start to kick in. ;)

• Like 2

Let's assume they start production in January. Four to six months of production should be plenty (for all the sequels), and then you have a year-and-a-half for post, which seems reasonable. In all likelihood, it'll be more like a month or so of production, a hiatus, another month or so well down the line (pickups, reshoots, additional material), and so on, with post essentially starting around the same time production kicks off.

For example, the first AVATAR started production in April of 2007, but without all the kinks worked out in terms of the technology. Photoreal mo-cap is now a much more mature process.