Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

3 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

Nice copy/paste job!  If only Star Wars spent as much time creating their world too!

Yours are mostly add-ons by other authors after the fact, and from spurious sources. The ones I quoted were made at the time of the film by the original creator (or at least under his guidance). Nice try at saving face though. 

1 hour ago, feasby007 said:

i believe what you're looking for are called documentaries

I'm starting to think Wang is a modern version of the Sokal affair, except trying to gain the most points on an internet forum rather than anything academic. 

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

One type of storytelling isn't automatically superior to the other.

That's plain wrong. I get that it might be in some quasi-metaphysical sense, but if you're trying to make that point then even making the statement itself is superfluous. If we're talking about movies, and more importantly the money movies make, then it's quite obvious that JC has found a winning formula patently superior to others when it comes to resonating with a global audience. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, JB33 said:

few other Cameron fans keeping it alive.

Yet here you are...

7 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

WHO THE FUCK CARES?!?!?!??!!!!?!

You... enough to post bucko. If you care so deeply about other people caring about things which you can easily ignore then I'd seek help. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Yet here you are...

You... enough to post bucko. If you care so deeply about other people caring about things which you can easily ignore then I'd seek help. 

I pop in every now and then, but to be blatantly honest it's more about my OCD-fueled need to read the latest page of every thread so I'm up to date with all the discussion. If the Avatar 2 thread was nowhere to be found, I wouldn't care to go find it. Again, the movie is 2 years away.

3 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Tbh I could see that happening.

Avatar was always a bigger beast OS relative to others.

And obviously I reserve the right to change my mind as we get closer.  I could very well blow up and be the next biggest thing yet again.  I just don't see that happening right this second.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

Oh totally!  I think China will probably end up making up for whatever drop the movie might face domestically and any overseas.  So I can see WW staying relatively flat. 

Love how the benchmark for detractors is basically the highest grossing film of all time! I remember when they couldn't even be positive it would make 1.5b ww because cultural impact... yet i still stand here shoutin 4 billies.

Nothing much has changed that couldn't have easily been predicted either.

2 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

And obviously I reserve the right to change my mind as we get closer.  I could very well blow up and be the next biggest thing yet again.  I just don't see that happening right this second.  

Of course you can change your mind. No prediction can be taken much seriously at this point given the only facts we have are that it's made be Cameron and the sequel to Avatar.

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Love how the benchmark for detractors is basically the highest grossing film of all time! I remember when they couldn't even be positive it would make 1.5b ww because cultural impact... yet i still stand here shoutin 4 billies.

It's the nature of the thing, expect them to come even more over to your side the closer we get to release. 

I hope you kept that notepad you said you were making updated Jimbo. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Okay, and for me the benchmark is - I hope it's a good movie.  You can have all the "billies" in the world, but if it isn't good, that means shit to me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

@Telemachos

Regards to our 3b bet years back, my understanding is that it voided when you left a while back with no plan to return so this isn't in regards to that.

I'm interested in your current A2 prediction WW.

I forgot we even had a bet. :rofl: I'm fine with either keeping it or voiding it, whatever you prefer.

I have no idea what it'll do WW. I don't think it increases. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up not too far from the original.