Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

9 hours ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

Because that's just kind of a made up statistic to me. In the end, it was the 26th biggest opener at the time and that's not exceptional/unusual 🤷‍♂️

Come on now one of the biggest Snows Storms on the east side and folks come through the storms and help it to 77M OW when it was expected to make 40 or less lol. Then it has a 9.7x Multiplier.

XXR thats one of the most impressive runs of all time. Even the OW is crazy as it means folks came for Camerons Avatar through SNow that could kill them in some cases on the domestic End. I rem seeing folks posting as long as the Theater is open Im getting there and showing the weather lol.

Then it holds for  71-73m THE 2nd Weekend. 

The same kind of run may happen. 190-200M OW with 5x-6X + Legs ;)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nikostar said:

Looking at presales some of you need to get your prediction under control because you are setting your self up to have a pretty disappointing weekend

Agreed

I'm already sensing this opening with 155M and the mood on the thread being like "ok..." even if since presales started this was the goal

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

While i feel like 5x OW seems more realistic, i wouldn´t discard 6.5 - 7x like many people do. 

We know we had a cultural shift since Avatar 1 and these days most of the blockbusters have some kind of limitations that puts and end on it´s possible audience. Taking SH genre for example, to watch a MCU movie today you have to be engaged with the universe, otherwise a lot of things don´t make sense. Of course they have a huge and loyal fanbase, but in the process i think a big part of the audience which didn´t follow everything Marvel drops ended up not having interest in watch the movies because they kind of demands you need to watch 30 things prior and most people aren´t willing to do that. 

This same logic applies to a lot of franchises, but i think there are exceptions. These blockbusters that is really a 4 quadrant juggernaut and only requires the audience to sit back and relax for 2-3 hours became a rarity in the ´´expanded universes´´ era, but they still exists. Top Gun i think is an example of that, and it´s the reason along the excellent WOM why that damn movie ended up with nearly 6x multiplier, there´s not a limit of an audience the movie can reach. I think with a Christmas date it could even try 7x multiplier. 

I believe something similar can happen to Avatar, it does feel like this type of movie where everyone can watch it and loved it without limitations, of course it will need excellent WOM and some miracles along the way to get there, but i think it´s totally possible even if i don´t count on it. 

The sequels can lose this novelty tho, since it will start to require more engage with the franchise from it´s audience.

Truth is in your words my brother....But if Jim can recreate the magic that gave us the first Avatar.... 

Well Rules are definitely made to be broken.. And hes already broken the rules twice that likely wont be matched again.

Hes going for the Hat Trick Thomas and indeed we start seeing Avatar 2 plough through the weekends 100M 3 times in a row...

Then we might just get that 7X Multiplier off a giant OW. :)

Always Remember on the Giant Epic Filmmaking.  CAMERON DOES WHAT PRETENDERS AND EVEN OTHER GREATS DONT!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Agreed

I'm already sensing this opening with 155M and the mood on the thread being like "ok..." even if since presales started this was the goal

Ahem brother Thomas. .Rem theres a certain boat filled with Cameron Fans that dont buy tickets online. They just Walk in.

It doesnt take much... Folks are still predicting 180-210M OW who have won contests for a reason :)

And rem a 190-200M OW is only sugar on top.  If it misses these marks its still one of Camerons biggest OW at 155-160M UP.. Cameron films usually dont take OWs, they go for legs and Obliterate everything!

The real Question does the multiplier off a massive OW land between Terminator 2 (6.9x Legs)

or can it get closer to Avatars and hit 7-8X legs vs Avatar 1 with 9.7 legs)

Still cant get over Titanic Legs (30X+)  Just a  Legendary Filmmaker whos work is supported like no one else

" WE WILL TEACH THEM OUR WAYS!"

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Editing post
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Ahem brother Thomas. .Rem theres a certain boat filled with Cameron Fans that dont buy tickets online. They just Walk in.

It doesnt take much... Folks are still predicting 180-210M OW who have won contests for a reason :)

And rem a 190-200M OW is only sugar on top.. Cameron films usually dont take OWs, they go for legs and Obliterate everything!

" WE WILL TEACH THEM OUR WAYS!"

I was about to say that i doubt people who wait 13 years for this moment would ignore presales but then i remember i waited 13 years and i didn't buy tickets even if i'm planning to watch twice this weekend lol 

Lost my own argument before writing it

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Nikostar said:

Looking at presales some of you need to get your prediction under control because you are setting your self up to have a pretty disappointing weekend

LOL Cameron Fans came through snow storms for Avatar 1.. Im not worried. 190-200M still on the table.

You keep acting like all those Titanic and Avatar Fans arent  out there and many dont buy tickets online.

Hopefully they arent waiting till crowds settle and show up on Dec 16th and make jaws Drop :)

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I was about to say that i doubt people who wait 13 years for this moment would ignore presales but then i remember i waited 13 years and i didn't buy tickets even if i'm planning to watch twice this weekend lol 

Lost my own argument before writing it

Yep had I not had to work and too much crowds here in the apple.. I would have gone right on in and Purchased my ticket. Also 4DX likely sold out at times I can go.. Ill be walking in there on OW 2 though. 

LOL Thomas. That happens my brother :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

LOL Cameron Fans came through snow storms for Avatar 1.. Im not worried. 190-200M still on the table.

You keep acting like all those Titanic and Avatar Fans arent  out there and many dont buy tickets online.

Hopefully they arent waiting till crowds settle and show up on Dec 16th and make jaws Drop :)

Remember that the people on here have been dooming about Avatar 2 for years, it's only natural they'll lowball the backended nature of the opening weekend too.

People have also been saying things like "a $150m OW film can't have over 5x legs!"

They're trapped in regular film thinking for a James Cameron generational event

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Remember that the people on here have been dooming about Avatar 2 for years, it's only natural they'll lowball the backended nature of the opening weekend too.

People have also been saying things like a $150m OW film can't have over 5x legs!

No if and No buts About it.. James Puts the buts in seats... It definitely would be nice if Avatar 2 joins the 200M OW Club though all,,,,,,Turn this place and low ballers-- 🙃

CAMERON IS HERE TO DESTROY THE MOLD>... THATS WHAT HE DOES---THAT ALL HE DOES!!! HE WONT STOP!

AND NEITHER WILL AVATAR 2 FANS WHEN ITS RELEASED.

---Maverick and Dr Strange 2--- Your Terminated :) 

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Update
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Agreed

Just have a feeling we will be looking at a disappointing weekend based on tracking and pre-sales vs fans expectations.

27 minutes ago, nydedan said:

in less than 24 hours I will be watching AVATAR2 as part of the first batch of public screenings before the official release in China. 

got my dolby theater ticket ready and really can't wait for it!

Nah i think every AVATAR fanboy in here, myself included, have said multiple times that this film is about its legs, not its OW.

I have the OW at 181mil, but if it comes in 150 or 160, who cares?, its legs will be even longer.

EDIT. Quoted wrong post, sorry. Its really hard at the moment due to all the tweets being posted which is messing with the pages loading and you end up clicking on the wrong post lol.

Edited by stuart360
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

People have also been saying things like "a $150m OW film can't have over 5x legs!"

There isn't really much lowballing being done here, the final PS is factually not shaping up great. That doesn't rule out big walkups but it's not exactly a great sign for them either. Hopefully review bump turns out strong.

3 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Nah i think every AVATAR fanboy in here, myself included, have said multiple times that this film is about its legs, not its OW.

I have the OW at 181mil, but if it comes in 150 or 160, who cares?, its legs will be even longer.

Legs is Key --And Avatar/JC Fans proved their merit in that in spades... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

There isn't really much lowballing being done here, the final PS is factually not shaping up great. That doesn't rule out big walkups but it's not exactly a great sign for them either. Hopefully review bump turns out strong.

Well it does look like other folks are not going by just presales.. As HR and BOP predicting still up to 180-200M for this Just Lurking brother. So lets not settle for a lowballed but still awesome 150-155M OW Just Yet. WOM is huge it has become the must see Spectacle that takes you into a dream like world. In Fact its an experience not just a movie.

What do you think thats going to do to people who are desperate for Escape or to go back to Pandora.

I can see many a pocket emptying in Avatar 2 Tickets my brother.

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Update

5 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

So true, total gross is relatively uneffected by the difference between $150m and $180m OW

James Cameron said it himself, we have to wait until the 2nd and 3rd week to see if this is going to be the mega blocbuster world dominator that we hoped

• Like 2

In fact its the naysayers that will be geting all giddy if the film comes in at around 150mil. They will be in the thread and loving it. That will just make it all the mor sweeter as the gross goes on, and it slowly dawns on them that yeah the films legs are going to be insane, and the final gross is going to be huge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1