Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

One person it must be true lol talk to me when you polled the nearly 350M people that saw it. I guessed you missed Monsters vs Aliens because that was marketed pretty heavily. So don't tell me it was solely the 3D which sold the movie, it helped but there were other reasons.

You're right. Neither of us can speak for other people that watched Avatar and their reasons for doing so. That's why I've tried to state several times "for me" or "personally". And I completely agree there are multiple reasons for people liking avatar.

My point is that, for me, personally, in my opinion, the idea of new, groundbreaking 3D was a driving factor in my wanting to watch Avatar.

Edited by RaidensSword
  • Like 1

You're right. Neither of us can speak for other people that watched Avatar and their reasons for doing so. That's why I've tried to state several times "for me" or "personally". And I completely agree there are multiple reasons for people liking avatar.

My point is that, for me, personally, in my opinion, the idea of new, groundbreaking 3D was a driving factor in my wanting to watch Avatar.

Well I can, you can't because it had good WOM. Well wasn't the only one and like I said is true (not using "for me or "personally") there are others that out rank it like WOM, visuals and December legs/Holiday legs.

• Like 1

Well I can, you can't because it had good WOM. Well wasn't the only one and like I said is true (not using "for me or "personally") there are others that out rank it like WOM, visuals and December legs/Holiday legs.

Yeah, good WOM can come from it having great visuals. I immediately booked to see again with different friends after seeing it in the cinema for the first time because pf the 3D visuals, which is spreading good WOM and if more people did the same then would have contributed to its WOM and great holds.

• Like 1

Jesus, for fucking YEARS I've been saying that the 3D and visuals in general is what sold the movie, not the plot.. I just can't figure out why that's such a big deal to some..

Because it's not bloody true. I guess everyone who saw avatar in 2D was going for that visual experience too? The visuals played a part, but if it was just about the visuals every blockbuster since then should've hit 2.5B WW. The story kept people coming back just as much. Why YOU have so much trouble accepting that visuals AREN'T the only reason it made what it did is perplexing.

• Like 2

Because it's not bloody true. I guess everyone who saw avatar in 2D was going for that visual experience too? The visuals played a part, but if it was just about the visuals every blockbuster since then should've hit 2.5B WW. The story kept people coming back just as much. Why YOU have so much trouble accepting that visuals AREN'T the only reason it made what it did is perplexing.

Is it such a controversial statement or even negative opinion though? Its great visuals were publicised and talked about by Cameron and the media prior to release, there were stories about it changing cinema forever, that 3D would become the norm etc.

And its visuals were GREAT. It was awesome in the cinema with 3D. I dont think visuals were the only reason, but they were a significant factor and combined with the message, story and directors name value became a great success.

People who saw it in 2D couldn't get into a 3D showing at the time, so they took the next best option.. And NO, Other blockbusters shouldn't have hit 2.5B WW cause the 3D in the other movies wasn't near as good as what Cameron put out, thus, the movie could've been a steaming pile, but the 3D kept people coming back for more.. And if the story was so damn good, then once again, how come you never hear quotes from the movie in pop culture like you do other movies??? I mean, for a movie that made as much as what it did, you'd think it would be one of the most quoteable movies around, but no one cares..

haha you are such an idiot. Its worth calling you an idiot for the 2 warning points ill get. If people on watched it for 3d then why is it the all time biggest blueray seller of all time? In other words you are talking shit as per usual

• Like 2

Yeah?? [mod edit] is because people were trying to replicate that theatre going experience at home, that's why you [mod edit].. Jesus dude.. :wtf: And THAT was worth 4 points for all I give a fuck.. Your reply to me Jessie pretty much cements the fact that what I've said is in fact true and for some reason, nerds such as yourself have a hard time accepting that fact... Didn't realize it was THAT big a deal that you had to start in on me with the [mod edit] name calling... I mean, so what?? So what if AVATAR made it's $$$ off the FX and not the story like some of you claim??? What would it take for you and everyone else to finally believe this?? What?? That it comes from Cameron's mouth himself??? Would that be acceptable enough???

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110503034810AAitQQR

And of course, there it is: People saw it moreso for the 3D Visuals than anything else..

haha listen princess, what you say is simply inaccurate, you can argue all you want but you just make yourself look like more of an idiot. The story has been criticised for copying such films like Dancing with Wolves and Pocahontas which guess what? were loved amongst the GA. you may not have liked the story BKB but do you seriously think people will sit in a cinema for 2 and a half hours watching a story they aren't engaged with purely for the 3d and nothing else? then go and recommend the film to their friends? Im sure if Alice in Wonderland and Avatar switched release dates, Alice wouldn't have managed a 10 times multiplier and became the biggest movie of all time. Just use your head, for once. You don't have to like the film, but lets not pretend no-one does lol.

And I love how you quoted 3 yahoo answers and showed them to me like you won the case haha. 200m saw the movie but these 3 posts prove that none of them liked it for the story :rolleyes:  I really don't get your beef with Avatar, just accept you are wrong and movie on with your life, you call me the nerd but you're the one getting emotional because avatar earned more at the box office than Avengers, and will likely get more emotional when Avatar 2 does the same. Maybe you should start living your life a bit more BKB, enjoy the fresh air, chillax.

Edited by Neo
  • Like 2

All I know, is that for a movie that made so much $$$, that you never ever hear anyone talk about it like other Blockbusters and there's a reason for this...

I hear people talk about it all the time, goes to show how pointless hearsay is.

• Like 1

All I know, is that for a movie that made so much $$$, that you never ever hear anyone talk about it like other Blockbusters and there's a reason for this...

Well, Avatar came out 5 years ago, so maybe that's why people aren't talking about it now. But I assure you, they will come 2017.

I think deep down you just have trouble dealing with the fact that Avatar made more than your precious Avengers. I recognize this being a hard f**king fact of life for a hardcore Marvel fanboy such as yourself, but it's a fact your ass is gonna have to get realistic about. :)

Edited by The Stingray
  • Like 5

Yeah, good WOM can come from it having great visuals. I immediately booked to see again with different friends after seeing it in the cinema for the first time because pf the 3D visuals, which is spreading good WOM and if more people did the same then would have contributed to its WOM and great holds.

Like I said it (3D) was a reason, but Avatar had more going for it that lended to its amazing legs.

• Like 1

Talking to BKB and RaidenSword is like talking to a brick wall.

• Like 1

People who saw it in 2D couldn't get into a 3D showing at the time, so they took the next best option.. And NO, Other blockbusters shouldn't have hit 2.5B WW cause the 3D in the other movies wasn't near as good as what Cameron put out, thus, the movie could've been a steaming pile, but the 3D kept people coming back for more.. And if the story was so damn good, then once again, how come you never hear quotes from the movie in pop culture like you do other movies??? I mean, for a movie that made as much as what it did, you'd think it would be one of the most quoteable movies around, but no one cares..

So the 2B+ OS none of those people could get into a 3D show? Gimmie a break. Does story equal quotability the answer is no, you could have said it better.

• Like 1

Oh stop Jessie.. You know as well as I do that no one talks about this movie, no one and you know it.. And by chance, who are these people you speak of that talk about this, like it' supposed to be the water cooler type of talk??? Who???

Gareth, Josh, my fiancé sophie (she hates the film), my mate Ethan, Adam. hmmmm, cant think of many other people, don't have that many close friends unfortunately. oh and Chris.

• Like 2

Talking to BKB and RaidenSword is like talking to a brick wall.

We could all say each other are like brick walls since we are all defending our differing opinions. I'm not going to though, I'm happy to have conversations and I can accept other peoples view points. I can perfectly see how you and others enjoyed avatar for the story and camerons direction, while the 3D and visuals came secondary to that. For me it was opposite.

I still enjoyed the movie and hope the sequels do well because I'd love to see more great immersive 3D movies really impress me and more of the Avatar universe.

• Like 1

We could all say each other are like brick walls since we are all defending our differing opinions. I'm not going to though, I'm happy to have conversations and I can accept other peoples view points. I can perfectly see how you and others enjoyed avatar for the story and camerons direction, while the 3D and visuals came secondary to that. For me it was opposite.

I still enjoyed the movie and hope the sequels do well because I'd love to see more great immersive 3D movies really impress me and more of the Avatar universe.

Brick wall in the sense you can only see one thing and not the rest. No, you say only 3D sold Avatar which was not the case. I am not talking about enjoying Avatar just pure box office.

• Like 1