Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

I don't think he ever approached it from whether or not the audience would want or expect four more movies. That's more like studio thinking. He had the general concept of a story he really wanted to tell, and once he fleshed it out fully, he realized it would be multiple movies. By the time the dust settled, those two additional movies had become four. I'd honestly rather have that than for him to pull some weird Nolanesque "let's fit one and a half movies into one movie" thing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

I don't think he ever approached it from whether or not the audience would want or expect four more movies. That's more like studio thinking. He had the general concept of a story he really wanted to tell, and once he fleshed it out fully, he realized it would be multiple movies. By the time the dust settled, those two additional movies had become four. I'd honestly rather have that than for him to pull some weird Nolanesque "let's fit one and a half movies into one movie" thing.

Or a Jacksoneque "let's fit one movie into three"

Or Abramsesque "Let's fit mediocrity into one movie"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

How is this an arguement?

"Good film doesn't have sequel! Now sequels shouldn't exist."

Also not that it matters but Titanic doesn't exactly allow for a sequel.

I know the Titanic point is a bit silly but it's there to prove that just because a movie makes a lot of money, there doesn't have to be a sequel (let alone 3 more after it). It's become so automatic in our culture & I sincerely doubt this world will be worth revisiting for the average person four more times.

Edited by GiantCALBears
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

I know the Titanic point is a bit silly but it's there to prove that just because a movie makes a lot of money, there doesn't have to be a sequel (let alone 3 more after it). It's become so automatic in our culture & I sincerely doubt this world will be worth revisiting for the average person four more times.

That's ok, I do sincerely think they will be gagging for more by the time Avatar 5 hits cinema.

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

The 3D novelty was the main draw in Avatar 1, anyone who says differently after the immediate success of Alice is kidding themselves.

If that's the main draw then how come over half the tickets were for 2D screenings?

Also you're assuming the 3D for Avatar 2 won't be groundbreaking as it was 9 years ago. Most studios just post process the 3D, James 'Iron 'Based Jim' Jim' Cameron films his films with 3D cameras.

Edited by IronJimbo

7 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

the story was clearly the weak link in the experience

That's an opinion. What is fact is that Avatar is the biggest movie ever worldwide. Chances are, the sequels will do just fine.

I doubt JC gives a shit what we want and why should he? If an artist's first concern is what his audience wants, he's doing it wrong.

3 minutes ago, Elessar said:

That's an opinion. What is fact is that Avatar is the biggest movie ever worldwide. Chances are, the sequels will do just fine.

I doubt JC gives a shit what we want and why should he? If an artist's first concern is what his audience wants, he's doing it wrong.

Its more of a consensus actually, not to mention JC has never been known for his strong characters or dialogue.

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

Its more of a consensus actually, not to mention JC has never been known for his strong characters or dialogue.

JC's movies are full of strong characters. He's one of the best storytellers.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I would frame it as Jim is a story teller who wants to make great films, and he also knows exactly what the audience want.

Jim knows better than anyone what the audience want, you don't make the two highest grossing films of all time without having the a grasp on what people want to see.

Jh0gonJ.jpg

How you can doubt the interest in the Avatar sequels is beyond me.

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Whether audiences will go see A2-A5 is Fox's concern, not Cameron's. The fact that they're willing to go along with this is a pretty good indicator they think they'll make some good money on the whole franchise.

But it is his concern Tele, the more money it makes the better his legacy is. The madman wants to make this the 21st centuries Star Wars.

1 minute ago, Elessar said:

Hes a technical artist first, the main draw to Avatar, Titanic, Terminator is the spectacle aspect to them. This discussion could go in circles forever so agree to disagree.

4 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Hes a technical artist first, the main draw to Avatar, Titanic, Terminator is the spectacle aspect to them. This discussion could go in circles forever so agree to disagree.

Spectacle is nothing without a story that draws you in and characters you care about. Jim knows this and he pretty much delivers every time.

Just now, Elessar said:

Spectacle is nothing without a story that draws you in and characters you care about. Jim knows this and he pretty much delivers every time.

No one (very few) cares about Jake Sully or the Na'vi, why I have serious doubts this will be the next SW like franchise.

Just now, Elessar said:

Charge: Treason, suggesting it's possible Jim hasn't delievered

Judgement: Guilty

Sentence: Slowly lowered into molten metal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

No one (very few) cares about Jake Sully or the Na'vi, why I have serious doubts this will be the next SW like franchise.

If people wouldn't have cared, the movie wouldn't have made the money it did.

22 minutes ago, Elessar said:

agreed.  It's why I like all his movies a ton, except for this one which for some reason for me, didn't resonate at all.  Which is very weird since I think that is one of his pluses as a filmmaker.