Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

The top 3 or top 5 is definitely personal preference (not that 1 isn't either but it's in Jim's favour).

Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, Raiders of the Lost Arc, Jurassic Park and E.T are all fantastic classics.

You've lost me, what does this mean :3

Come on now, The Abyss reference ?

6 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Come on now, The Abyss reference ?

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

I've only seen it twice, it's my least watched Jim film. I even googled your quote to make sure it wasn't a Jim quote.. and it was.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2016 at 4:01 PM, Telemachos said:

I love it to death. But no, it wasn't profitable... it was the first of his "most expensive movies ever made!" projects and it just didn't pull its weight, unfortunately. People were expecting more of a badass action/adventure and less of his take on CLOSE ENCOUNTERS (for better or worse).

Actually there's alot of debate on its budget vs profit. It went on to be a huge home video  monster. Selling well on VHS , laser disc  laser disc and dvd. The abyss was in the end still not a miss overall and pushed the envelope as a technological masterpiece  film.Also featured the first true CGI character   to boot. Film cost around 55-70 m. Made over 300 m including HV Bo tele.;). So Cameron really has never had  true misses like Spielberg and other directors. Whose films have failed at the Bo and on  the HV Bo as well. Abyss also holds an 89 RT

one of the number one  HV sellers with the SE version in the 90s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Abyss

Edited by Kalel009Shel
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Also featured the first child character  to boot. Film cost around 55-70 m. Made over 300 m including HV Bo tele.;). So Cameron really has never had  true misses like Spielberg and other directors. Whose films have failed at the Bo and on  the HV Bo as well. Abyss also holds an 89 RT

one of the number one  HV sellers with the SE version in the 90s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Abyss

What child character?

It didn't make 300m on HV, man. Or 200m (if you're talking about 300m of total revenue). I like how you provide the link to the Wikipedia page as if it backs up anything you're saying. Being a bestseller on laserdisc is like winning an award as the world's biggest midget -- that market was microscopic. (Yes, I had a laserdisc player and had the SE on laser. It cost $100 and I doubt they sold more than a few tens of thousands.)

edit: here's a link to a Billboard article from 1995 saying THE ABYSS SE had sold 50k units at $100 per. That's... $5m. 

https://books.google.com/books?id=7AsEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA67&dq=Abyss&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjwosP6h-jMAhXFWRoKHXwcBTUQ6AEIITAB#v=onepage&q=Abyss&f=false

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lilmac said:

Already started principal photography?  Any links?

I assume so, although after a quick google news search it seems nothing has been officially announced. Strange at how secretive they're being about the shoot actually... I would have thought there would have been more formal announcements with all the activity I've been seeing first hand recently. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I assume so, although after a quick google news search it seems nothing has been officially announced. Strange at how secretive they're being about the shoot actually... I would have thought there would have been more formal announcements with all the activity I've been seeing first hand recently. 

"We do performance capture work. You have to think of it more like an animated film, so it’s not really shooting per se. It’s a lot of performance capture work, so yeah, we’re getting into that. ... It’s top secret. Remember The Manhattan Project, did they talk about that?"

Jim for some reason wants to keep a low profile, then BOOM. Dropped a nuke on the box office (not once, not twice but thrice).

9 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

What? First hand? What are you talking about?

On 5/20/2016 at 2:54 AM, Telemachos said:

What child character?

It didn't make 300m on HV, man. Or 200m (if you're talking about 300m of total revenue). I like how you provide the link to the Wikipedia page as if it backs up anything you're saying. Being a bestseller on laserdisc is like winning an award as the world's biggest midget -- that market was microscopic. (Yes, I had a laserdisc player and had the SE on laser. It cost $100 and I doubt they sold more than a few tens of thousands.)

edit: here's a link to a Billboard article from 1995 saying THE ABYSS SE had sold 50k units at $100 per. That's... $5m. 

https://books.google.com/books?id=7AsEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA67&dq=Abyss&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjwosP6h-jMAhXFWRoKHXwcBTUQ6AEIITAB#v=onepage&q=Abyss&f=false

It sold millions of unit on VHS and various HV formats. Someone back in mojo destroyed that bs nonsense tele. And actually it's closer to 400m in total ww revenue Bo and hv. Get your facts straight. If abyss sold 15m to 20 mil units ww at 15-24.00, I think that's a whole lot of lifetimeprofit bub. Not to mention there's collectible editions that sold for 39.99-50 up. Lol. A miss you say???? That's not really true when one looks at its lifetime revenue, impact and how it lead to arguable the great technology breakthroughs like  Terminator ii, JP and Titanic and now a film so far ahead of its peers in intervoving technology, music, story and invoking real world sense memory that all others films after it look caveman like in comparison...Aka the Avatar. Most involving and creative movie experience I have ever experienced. No wonder it  and Titanic have cemented James Cameron as king of the world.  The Avatar 2 looks to change the box office rules and put Cameron in the all time domestic and ww number one spot for the third time in a row.

Halleyuyah?

Edited by Kalel009Shel
  • Like 1

More cool stuff on Cameron's remarkable abyss. Also explains why it's Bo didn't go through the roof. Seems alot of inferior  copy cats flops were released around the time of its debutbyear and audiences assumed that this would be another laffing stock water film . Crazy right, guess James name that embodies numerous uno  twasn' quite worldly  known back in 1989. Lol. After abyss , a lil film named terminator ii cemented Cameron as the greatest pound for pound filmmaker and innovator of breakthroughs in upping the bar in the film making and various undersea  Marvel's of all time.

Read and share thoughts all 

https://thedissolve.com/features/the-deepest-cut/1082-looking-at-two-versions-of-james-camerons-the-abys/

Edited by Kalel009Shel
  • Like 1

Pound for pound best director of all time too Kal.

I was just thinking about sws tfa.

TitanWars-578x961.jpg

People on here were getting upset that James Cameron wouldn't send JJ Abrams a congratulations letter.

I wouldn't have sent him one either.

The Force Awakens wasn't a director acheivement, it was a studio acheivment.

The production for this film could be cookie cooker as hell, any director, any cast, any plot. It doesn't matter.

Cameron has always respected Directors over Studios, afterall he sees studios for the money grabbers they are who don't even care about the artform.

I repeat this was Disneys acheivement not JJ Abrams.

Edited by IronJimbo
I saw Star Wars adverts on fruit packaging, sad.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Kalel009Shel said:

It sold millions of unit on VHS and various HV formats. Someone back in mojo destroyed that bs nonsense tele. And actually it's closer to 400m in total ww revenue Bo and hv. Get your facts straight. If abyss sold 15m to 20 mil units ww at 15-24.00, I think that's a whole lot of lifetimeprofit bub. Not to mention there's collectible editions that sold for 39.99-50 up.

If you don't post links to your stats, then they're just absurd fantasies. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I repeat this was Disneys acheivement not JJ Abrams.

You are not giving enough credit to JJ. I director calls the shots on a daily basis, he's still the most important cog in the machine, even when Disney is behind. JJ is not some no name director.

He did well in the directorial department, storywise he didn't have that lucky a hand, though.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2016 at 10:24 AM, Telemachos said:

If you don't post links to your stats, then they're just absurd fantasies. 

Lol look up the old bom Bo threads. I believe iron Jimbo and others here have stated the after Bo hv market was enormous ww. Seems studios gave him the first  120 m budget , so obviously abyss made money beyond Bo. Jimbo see if you can get those links for hv and after Bo revenue for abyss. Just because you post old inundated data tele, doesn't mean it's not fantasy as well. We need some good hv sources again.

On 22 mai 2016 at 4:35 PM, Elessar said:

You are not giving enough credit to JJ. I director calls the shots on a daily basis, he's still the most important cog in the machine, even when Disney is behind. JJ is not some no name director.

He did well in the directorial department, storywise he didn't have that lucky a hand, though.

And people don't understand why studios hire directors in the first place.

This idea that directors (even the rookie ones) don't really direct their big tentpoles movies is absurd.

Each time we hear about sudio meddling, people put the blame (an absurd notion anyway when you know how chaotic filmmaking is)  on the studio, well it s more complicated than that.

The Avengers Age Of Ultron situation is a perfect example about how people have agendas in those situations.

Edited by The Futurist