Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 hours ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Agreed movies need to be able stand on their own. Because in 30 years Avatar is going to look terrible and it won't have a story to back it up. 

A ridiculous opinion backed up by zero evidence. Typical Jim doubter. I am sure you thought HRod was going to President too didn't you? 

The levels of delusion in this thread from those doubting Jim is really unbecoming of a forum that is supposed to be a focus of Box Office Theory. Yet it seems to me to be more of a club house for teenage SW fans. 

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

A ridiculous opinion backed up by zero evidence. Typical Jim doubter. I am sure you thought HRod was going to President too didn't you? 

The levels of delusion in this thread from those doubting Jim is really unbecoming of a forum that is supposed to be a focus of Box Office Theory. Yet it seems to me to be more of a club house for teenage SW fans. 

Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Like 2

I'm still very very excited for the Avatar sequels, but the Avatar film hasn't aged well for me.

Watching it in theatre is definitely a fucking fantastic experience, but outside it, seven years later... It's still good, but not as mindblowing as the theatre experience.

However, I have faith in Cameron to deliver a story worth stretching into 4 films, because he already had an amazing world in his hand that have immeasureable potential.

5 hours ago, That One Guy said:

If a film can't stand on its own without its VFX, then why the hell should I be invested in it?  Gravity is a film that I loved regardless of VFX.  Why couldn't Avatar accomplish something that Gravity could?

Yeah why couldn't Avatar gross as much as Gravity?  Such a hated movie...  

3 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Wouldn't expect anything different from someone whose name is "JamesCameronScholar."

The levels of "delusion" in this thread from "teenage SW fans" is based on facts.  No one cares about Avatar anymore.  It was a hit solely based on its VFX.  Who thinks back to Avatar and says "Hey, I loved this movie for its enriching characters and its interesting plotline!"  No one.  Star Wars has always had memorable characters and interesting stories.  That's why people keep returning and making the films massive hits.  Cameron got lucky twice in a row with Titanic and Avatar, but all lucky streaks end at one point.

And you're criticizing us for not being a forum based on Box Office Theory despite the title of our site, yet when we theorize that this film will make a lot less than the first Avatar and probably not get much further than its 3rd sequel planned, you claim we're not being a forum based around Box Office Theory.  Mm hm.

16 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Box office gross doesn't matter when it comes to quality.  By that logic, Transformers 2 is more loved than Citizen Kane.

Oh wow,  let's compare a 2009 film to a 1941 film that was barely released in theaters.  Avatar accomplished a lot more than Gravity, its only shortcoming is not being love  by an 8 year old kid.  

• Like 1

I think December 2020 is what they should be aiming for. Nothing seems to indicate this will be ready anywhere close to 24 months from now, and I know Cameron may not care about competition, but going up against E9 would still be completely stupid. Fox will never have it. Also, I don't know about Avatar's prospects as a summer release. Summer schedule is such a mad house these days. If it's ready by late 2019, then Cameron can use the extra year to really perfect the post-production of all the films. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think December 2020 is what they should be aiming for. Nothing seems to indicate this will be ready anywhere close to 24 months from now, and I know Cameron may not care about competition, but going up against E9 would still be completely stupid. Fox will never have it. Also, I don't know about Avatar's prospects as a summer release. Summer schedule is such a mad house these days. 

Don't worry, Cameron already adressed the Star Wars issue, he knows.

2 minutes ago, langer said:

Oh wow,  let's compare a 2009 film to a 1941 film that was barely released in theaters.  Avatar accomplished a lot more than Gravity, its only shortcoming is not being love  by an 8 year old kid.  

Oh dear.  Oh dear indeed.

I said by your logic, a film that grosses more than another is automatically better.  Well, since you missed that parallel, how about I compare 2009 films with Transformers 2.  Huh, sorry to up, The Hangover, Star Trek, Paranormal Activity, Watchmen, Zombieland, Coraline, Drag Me to Hell, and Where the Wild Thing Are.  You're all inferior to the amazing Transformers 2.  God bless you Bay, and may you rest in eternal heaven.

Avatar certainly accomplished things.  For example, it made saturation of 3D much more prominent...depressing.  Now 3D is shoved down your throat for almost every movie, and only once in a blue moon does it actually enhance the film.  It made Alice in Wonderland a hit...inexcusable.  It had apparent "state of the art CGI."  I won't deny that, but I'm not gonna give a film a pass solely based on VFX.

As for the 8 year old kid parallel, I thought I said that I rewatched it on DVD when I was 13.  I still wasn't impressed.  I don't understand how that's relevant, other than to maybe attempt to make a jab at my young age..?

7 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Oh dear.  Oh dear indeed.

I said by your logic, a film that grosses more than another is automatically better.  Well, since you missed that parallel, how about I compare 2009 films with Transformers 2.  Huh, sorry to up, The Hangover, Star Trek, Paranormal Activity, Watchmen, Zombieland, Coraline, Drag Me to Hell, and Where the Wild Thing Are.  You're all inferior to the amazing Transformers 2.  God bless you Bay, and may you rest in eternal heaven.

Avatar certainly accomplished things.  For example, it made saturation of 3D much more prominent...depressing.  Now 3D is shoved down your throat for almost every movie, and only once in a blue moon does it actually enhance the film.  It made Alice in Wonderland a hit...inexcusable.  It had apparent "state of the art CGI."  I won't deny that, but I'm not gonna give a film a pass solely based on VFX.

As for the 8 year old kid parallel, I thought I said that I rewatched it on DVD when I was 13.  I still wasn't impressed.  I don't understand how that's relevant, other than to maybe attempt to make a jab at my young age..?

First mistake you made was assuming I ever did say that Avatar was a better movie because it grossed more.  Please quote me on that.  Accomplishments and quality are not always related.  Avatar accomplished way more than Gravity.  It was loved way more than Gravity, regardless of your feelings for both movies.  

1 minute ago, langer said:

First mistake you made was assuming I ever did say that Avatar was a better movie because it grossed more.  Please quote me on that.  Accomplishments and quality are not always related.  Avatar accomplished way more than Gravity.  It was loved way more than Gravity, regardless of your feelings for both movies.  

"Yeah why couldn't Avatar gross as much as Gravity? Such a hated movie..."

Implying that a film grossing more money makes it less hated.

15 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

"Yeah why couldn't Avatar gross as much as Gravity? Such a hated movie..."

Implying that a film grossing more money makes it less hated.

I'll agree that more people hated Avatar...only because more people saw the movie.  

2 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Wouldn't expect anything different from someone whose name is "JamesCameronScholar."

The levels of "delusion" in this thread from "teenage SW fans" is based on facts.  No one cares about Avatar anymore.  It was a hit solely based on its VFX.  Who thinks back to Avatar and says "Hey, I loved this movie for its enriching characters and its interesting plotline!"  No one.  Star Wars has always had memorable characters and interesting stories.  That's why people keep returning and making the films massive hits.  Cameron got lucky twice in a row with Titanic and Avatar, but all lucky streaks end at one point.

And you're criticizing us for not being a forum based on Box Office Theory despite the title of our site, yet when we theorize that this film will make a lot less than the first Avatar and probably not get much further than its 3rd sequel planned, you claim we're not being a forum based around Box Office Theory.  Mm hm.

Making the highest grossing film of all time, not once, but twice? This is not luck, don't talk down such a huge achievement so lightly.

KBRiNMI.jpg

The more you learn about Jim, the harder it is to doubt him.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Making the highest grossing film of all time, not once, but twice? This is not luck, don't talk down such a huge achievement so lightly.

KBRiNMI.jpg

Star Wars has achieved the highest grossing film of all time twice.  Once with the original, the second with TFA.  Are we even now?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

KBRiNMI.jpg

Forget it, Iron Jim, it's a SW fanatic. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Star Wars has achieved the highest grossing film of all time twice.  Once with the original, the second with TFA.  Are we even now?

Perfect point, this is exactly what people for get - Star Wars has been the top film world wide twice, it's the most creative and brilliant franchise ever made.

8 minutes ago, Grand Moff said:

Perfect point, this is exactly what people for get - Star Wars has been the top film world wide twice, it's the most creative and brilliant franchise ever made.

Creative? That's a thing of the past. The Force Awakens is a glib facsimile of a new hope.

• Like 2