Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Just now, IronJimbo said:

Thank god the dark side hasn't spread to the rest of the world, it's currently contained in America. Sold more tickets than Avatar? Lol maybe in the sws echo chamber you call your homeland.

Avatar vs Star Wars is a battle of talent/craft vs nostalgia/cookiecooking.

Uh, it did sell more tickets than Avatar, especially domestically.  Check the adjusted for inflation chart, with that not even counting the fact that like 80-85% of tickets for Avatar were the heavily inflated 3D/IMAX prices.

Just now, That One Guy said:

Uh, it did sell more tickets than Avatar, especially domestically.  Check the adjusted for inflation chart, with that not even counting the fact that like 80-85% of tickets for Avatar were the heavily inflated 3D/IMAX prices.

:thinking: This is what sws fans actually believe?

:thinking: This is what sws fans actually believe?

No, it's the truth.  Stop having your head so far up your ass and call a proctologist.

Go to the adjusted for inflation chart on BOM.  TFA adjusted is 935M, Avatar is 841M.  Also keep in mind that Avatar had like 80-85% of its tickets from 3D grosses.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

No, it's the truth.  Stop having your head so far up your ass and call a proctologist.

Go to the adjusted for inflation chart on BOM.  TFA adjusted is 935M, Avatar is 841M.  Also keep in mind that Avatar had like 80-85% of its tickets from 3D grosses.

"Sold more tickets than Avatar? Lol maybe in the sws echo chamber you call your homeland. "

sws echo chamber you call your homeland means domestic.

I'm talking about overall tickets here the1guy...

"Sold more tickets than Avatar? Lol maybe in the sws echo chamber you call your homeland. "

sws echo chamber you call your homeland means domestic.

I'm talking about overall tickets here the1guy...

I was talking about domestic tickets from the beginning.  Of course Avatar sold more tickets overseas than TFA. A 700M difference is a bit much for a record to be made there.

However, I was talking about domestically from the beginning for a reason: Domestic money matters the most to the studios, and therefore should be treated as more important.  Putting Avatar 2 next to SW might result in floppage for SW overseas, but the money that matters most that comes from domestic money would far more likely result in Avatar taking the loss here.

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

I was talking about domestic tickets from the beginning.  Of course Avatar sold more tickets overseas than TFA. A 700M difference is a bit much for a record to be made there.

However, I was talking about domestically from the beginning for a reason: Domestic money matters the most to the studios, and therefore should be treated as more important.  Putting Avatar 2 next to SW might result in floppage for SW overseas, but the money that matters most that comes from domestic money would far more likely result in Avatar taking the loss here.

"got TFA to 1B domestically, while also selling more tickets than Avatar."

"Uh, it did sell more tickets than Avatar, especially domestically."

I was simply talking about which sold more tickets, which was Avatar. I would never argue that Avatar sold more in NA.

I agree with everything you just said, both films will get hit if they go up against each other. You first post was to say Avatar will have to move away from Star Wars, I'm saying it isn't as straight forward as that, it could be a game of chicken.

• Like 1

"got TFA to 1B domestically, while also selling more tickets than Avatar."

"Uh, it did sell more tickets than Avatar, especially domestically."

I was simply talking about which sold more tickets, which was Avatar. I would never argue that Avatar sold more in NA.

I agree with everything you just said, both films will get hit if they go up against each other. You first post was to say Avatar will have to move away from Star Wars, I'm saying it isn't as straight forward as that, it could be a game of chicken.

Well yeah, I was simply contemplating what would happen if they were set to fight each other.  I was also proposing release dates that might be better options.  May 31 2019 seems like a good bet to me (one month after Avengers, 2 weeks before a DC movie), as does the pre-Thanksgiving spot which only has a DC film opening two weeks prior.

I'm trying to look at it from an objective viewpoint here despite my dislike of Avatar.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Avatar has uphill battle, though. 

Just the way Jim likes it. 

I still hope for 2018 release. Although I would love Jim to be cheeky and go for a Chinese New Year release in Jan 2019. 

Remember Jim pioneered the December release date with Titanic, he's shown he can replicate a seemingly impossible task before. Never doubt him. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Just the way Jim likes it. 

I still hope for 2018 release. Although I would love Jim to be cheeky and go for a Chinese New Year release in Jan 2019. 

Remember Jim pioneered the December release date with Titanic, he's shown he can replicate a seemingly impossible task before. Never doubt him. 

I wouldn't mind Avatar clobbering Han Solo movie since that's a total waste of SW resources. 

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I wouldn't mind Avatar clobbering Han Solo movie since that's a total waste of SW resources. 

I sort of want some studio exec at WB or Disney to have the kind of hubris people who doubt JC have in this thread and see what happens too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

"See you at the midnight 7pm previews!" :)

(™ of IronJimbo)

I'll see Han Solo don't worry. Not one of those "I'll boycott a movie if my demands are not met". I just find it a waste right now but than I couldn't get excited about RO either and ended up loving it especially on the second viewing.  :)

• Like 1