Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

On 5/13/2018 at 9:02 AM, IronJimbo said:

Enjoy, it's a great making of for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Even if you're not a fan of Avatar or even James Cameron, this is essential viewing for anyone who wonders about what it takes to create and make a movie like Avatar or any other large production that uses a lot of CGI. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

Even if you're not a fan of Avatar or even James Cameron, this is essential viewing for anyone who wonders about what it takes to create and make a movie like Avatar or any other large production that uses a lot of CGI. 

Or to see what a real work ethic is. 

On 13/05/2018 at 2:02 PM, IronJimbo said:

Enjoy, it's a great making of for anyone who hasn't seen it.

I just watched this for the first time, and I genuinely think it's inspired me. I knew some basics of how JC works, it the extent to which he went to make this movie perfect is mind boggling...

Like hiring professional Olympic archery coaches, getting Sam worthington to train with actual marines, Michelle Rodriguez actually learning to fly a helicopter. It's all so real and so authentic that it really makes you feel like this world exists. To add to that, Jim has devoted himself to ensuring every mechanic and every machine is physically possible in the real world. He didn't make the machines look good, he made them work, and then added aesthetic.

I didn't know I could be even more hyped for Avatar 2.

Interesting point towards the end, when the first trailer hit, many many people slammed the movie as they thought it looked bad and was cheap. It was only when the first longer 15-min clips were shown that people started to fall in love with it and be inspired. I think this leads to belief that the trailer doesn't have to be good or even received well. The trailer for Avatar 2 has one purpose only: to create awareness for the films existence. Once people are aware it exists, then you just need out-of-this-world word of mouth to carry the film to heights again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

I just watched this for the first time, and I genuinely think it's inspired me. I knew some basics of how JC works, it the extent to which he went to make this movie perfect is mind boggling...

Like hiring professional Olympic archery coaches, getting Sam worthington to train with actual marines, Michelle Rodriguez actually learning to fly a helicopter. It's all so real and so authentic that it really makes you feel like this world exists. To add to that, Jim has devoted himself to ensuring every mechanic and every machine is physically possible in the real world. He didn't make the machines look good, he made them work, and then added aesthetic.

I didn't know I could be even more hyped for Avatar 2.

Interesting point towards the end, when the first trailer hit, many many people slammed the movie as they thought it looked bad and was cheap. It was only when the first longer 15-min clips were shown that people started to fall in love with it and be inspired. I think this leads to belief that the trailer doesn't have to be good or even received well. The trailer for Avatar 2 has one purpose only: to create awareness for the films existence. Once people are aware it exists, then you just need out-of-this-world word of mouth to carry the film to heights again.

I'm glad I linked it! I always say this the more you know about Jim the more you come to revere him.

I think an unknown ability of Jim's is talent scouting. He attracts the best of the best or he hunts them out, which ever it is he's great at it.

8 hours ago, feasby007 said:

There's a biography of JC called 'The Futurist' it's a great read, and really shows you the depth of Jim's work ethic and commitment to the craft. 

47 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

Sydney Morning Herald article from yesterday, not much in terms of Avatar news but a little bit of insight into the man and his motivations.

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/deep-thinker-how-film-director-james-camerons-day-job-funds-his-geeky-passion-20180516-h1047f.html

I charge by the smile," he says with a wry grin. "But scowls are free."

James-Bio_01.jpg

"Someone can invalidate a work of art with a bad review. You can't invalidate a technical accomplishment with a negative opinion."

I think I found out when Jim decided to make the highest grossing films of all time.

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

"Someone can invalidate a work of art with a bad review. You can't invalidate a technical accomplishment with a negative opinion."

I think I found out when Jim decided to make the highest grossing films of all time.

A man after my own heart. It's zingers like these that make me remember why I worship this 'man'. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deuce66 said:

LOL!!! tune in at 5:40 or so in the video, I guess Steven Tyler has a thing for Neytiri - big time... 

I STILL MISS YOU NEY! I DONT WANNA MISSS A THING.

Love how JOE calls flight of passage ride GOAT

Lang's favourite films of the decade of 00 (excluding Avatar) were Master in Commander and Apocolypto... strikes me as the films that Quaritch himself would like. Also talks about how he got the role.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Lang's favourite films of the decade of 00 (excluding Avatar) were Master in Commander and Apocolypto... strikes me as the films that Quaritch himself would like. Also talks about how he got the role.

I can totally seeing Quaritch loving those movies too. Fun fact - Jim lives next door to Gibson (or at least did back in 2010). 

latest?cb=20171115052913

Snowy mountains at the back! This is from the flight of passage.

Also read in the information book there's volcanoes.

Avatar's scale was actually quite small, probably within a 50km region of Pandora (a moon similar size to earth)

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1