Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

https://www.themeparktourist.com/news/20180206/33652/surprising-things-we-learned-disney-s-latest-financial-report

It got me thinking how many people with go to Avatarland before DEC 2020? It could seriously increase Avatar 2's dom by like $50m or something. People reeeeeeeally love the flight of passage.

It got my hyped for A2, so this is happening.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

It got my hyped for A2, so this is happening.

:) I'm saving for a trip

Ride seems to be 3 minutes long, changing people in and out could take another 3 minutes. That's 10 iterations an hour (nice and even.)

Assuming there are 48 people per iteration (3 levels of 16) that's a total of 480 people an hour or 500 (so I can do this in my head)

500pph for 14 hours (8am to 10pm).. that's 7000 people a day.

From May 2017 to December 2020 is about 1300 days.

7000 people x 1300 = 9.1m riders

Let's assume 2.1m of these are repeat viewings.

7m unique riders

of this 7m we have to guess how many that wouldn't have seen Avatar 2 will go to see it... which is pure speculation.. I'm going to say that only 20% will be people who don't really care for cinema but will now go to see Avatar 2.

1.4m EXTRA AVATAR VIEWERS... now these extra viewers will have on average 2.5 viewings.

That's 3.5m extra tickets sold.. which works out as about an extra $35m or so.

Now this doesn't include awareness and word of mouth etc.. which will just multiply everything even further

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

https://www.themeparktourist.com/news/20180206/33652/surprising-things-we-learned-disney-s-latest-financial-report

It got me thinking how many people with go to Avatarland before DEC 2020? It could seriously increase Avatar 2's dom by like $50m or something. People reeeeeeeally love the flight of passage.

WOW!!! and yes The Flight of Passage is blowing people away, people are lined up for hours to experience a ride that lasts only 4 min:30 sec. People are crying tears of joy during this ride and are left speechless/awe. I get a feeling this is only a little taste of what is coming so yeah Cameron will have us sitting in front of a screen with our mouths agape wondering wtf and how the **** did they do it. 

The biggest bombshell in Disney's report was that that domestic attendance across both Disneyland and Walt Disney World was up by 6 percent overall, with much of this growth due to Pandora — The World of Avatar. And though we don't know yet how much attendance at Disney's Animal Kingdom or Walt Disney World as a whole have gone up, CEO Bob Iger did say in a conference call that Pandora - The World of Avatar has led to record attendance at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Of course, we won't know a precise per-park breakdown of attendance until next year's TEA/AECOM report comes out, but reading between the lines here it looks like, Disney is still riding high on the sucess of Avatar, which could help them through 2018 and keep things moving in a positive direction until 2019's opening of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge blasts attendance into a new galaxy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Lies. Nobody cares for Avatar.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

:) I'm saving for a trip

Ride seems to be 3 minutes long, changing people in and out could take another 3 minutes. That's 10 iterations an hour (nice and even.)

Assuming there are 48 people per iteration (3 levels of 16) that's a total of 480 people an hour or 500 (so I can do this in my head)

500pph for 14 hours (8am to 10pm).. that's 7000 people a day.

From May 2017 to December 2020 is about 1300 days.

7000 people x 1300 = 9.1m riders

Let's assume 2.1m of these are repeat viewings.

7m unique riders

of this 7m we have to guess how many that wouldn't have seen Avatar 2 will go to see it... which is pure speculation.. I'm going to say that only 20% will be people who don't really care for cinema but will now go to see Avatar 2.

1.4m EXTRA AVATAR VIEWERS... now these extra viewers will have on average 2.5 viewings.

That's 3.5m extra tickets sold.. which works out as about an extra $35m or so.

Now this doesn't include awareness and word of mouth etc.. which will just multiply everything even further

Now that's some proper man maths, Jimbo.

My 8-year-old niece just saw Avatar for the first time. She had to cover her eyes at a couple points, and she hated the kissing scenes (she hates all kissing scenes), but she adored the movie. Even more than Paddington 2 and The Greatest Showman, her two previous favorite movies.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

My 8-year-old niece just saw Avatar for the first time. She had to cover her eyes at a couple points, and she hated the kissing scenes (she hates all kissing scenes), but she adored the movie. Even more than Paddington 2 and The Greatest Showman, her two previous favorite movies.

:lol: "They're kissing again... when does it get good?"

1 hour ago, manny1234 said:

@JamesCameronScholar @IronJimbo Your precious Avatar 2 will prove haters wrong and it will sure beat the first Avatar to become the highest grossing film of all time and it will be a fucking masterpiece like making possibly 1 billion USD in China. I am in fact excited for it and praise your hero Jim.

Avatar 2 is for everyone to love and enjoy, most the haters will come around (except hardcore mcu)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Avatar 2 is for everyone to love and enjoy, most the haters will come around (except hardcore mcu)

Now that cracks are starting to show for Star Wars, I kind of feel like MCU is the only truly "succeeding" franchise worldwide, where most other franchise are in fact failing (or diminishing). So I can't wait for die hard MCU fanboys to become increasingly unbearable.

In fact, they're already becoming that, just the other day, one of the top comment on a John Campea video was like  "I will pay for Infinity War several more times so it can surpass Titanic so JC's ego can be slammed so he can change his mind on Superhero films".....

I wish I had the ability to give 1000 downvotes :unsure:

Edited by NCsoft
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NCsoft said:

Now that cracks are starting to show for Star Wars, I kind of feel like MCU is the only truly "succeeding" franchise worldwide, where most other franchise are in fact failing (or diminishing). So I can't wait for die hard MCU fanboys to become increasingly unbearable.

In fact, they're already becoming that, just the other day, one of the top comment on a John Campea video was like  "I will pay for Infinity War several more times so it can surpass Titanic so JC's ego can be slammed so he can change his mind on Superhero films".....

I wish I had the ability to give 1000 downvotes :unsure:

The Marvel Drones have sent us a message... that they're the top dog of blockbusters. That no one can top them. Well we will send them a message. You go out and watch Avatar 2 until your wallet is dry... You tell your friends to come. Tell them Jim Cameron calls to them! Come now, with me! My brothers, Sisters! We will show the Marvel drones... that studio first film-making is not what we want! And that this... this is our land!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I know someone who's working on this.  The NDA is apparently so thick that it prevents them from consciously acknowledging that they are in fact working on it.  I didn't even know they were until they accidentally let it slip out. :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

I know someone who's working on this.  The NDA is apparently so thick that it prevents them from consciously acknowledging that they are in fact working on it.  I didn't even know they were until they accidentally let it slip out. :D

Jim's Manhattan Project.

I heard that you're working on the Avatar sequels is that true? "Yes it's true that I am working...on what I cannot say, for who I cannot say, for what company or studio I cannot say, on a project that may or may not actually exist".

:D

• Haha 1

https://screenrant.com/avatar-sequels-3d-james-cameron/

"From my own perspective since I’m not doing television production, I’m doing Avatar sequels – four of them. They will be, to the best of my ability, the best 3D that’s possible to make. That includes collaborating with the people at Dolby Cinema, who have developed high dynamic range projection that could put 16 foot-lamberts of light on a 3D screen through the glasses, which is revolutionary. Normally, you’re looking at about three foot-lamberts. Sixteen is what you should be seeing. That’s what movies should look like."

"We need to see the roll out of these laser projection systems, so that we can fully appreciate 3D through glasses in cinemas. Then, we need the roll out of autostereoscopic screens – large panel displays, where you don’t need glasses at all. You have multiple discreet viewing angles and all that sort of thing. Anybody that’s geeking out on 3D knows what I’m talking about. It’s all possible. It’s just a question of will it happen or not."

"I guarantee one thing," the director said. "Avatar 2, 3, 4, and 5 are all going to be in 3D and they will look sumptuous."

JIM!

This is where the above article got it's informations from, a writeup of a Q&A sessions which has tons of info that I'm reading now.

https://vfxblog.com/2018/05/27/james-cameron-3d-avatar-creatures-ai-terminator-commentary/

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

READ THIS!

https://vfxblog.com/2018/05/27/james-cameron-3d-avatar-creatures-ai-terminator-commentary/

READ THIS!

I’ve gathered a few of [Jims] thoughts on the state of stereoscopic filmmaking, what he wants to do with 360 degree video, his approach to making creatures in Avatar, his take on the future of artificial intelligence (it doesn’t go well for humans), and a BIG promise relating to The Terminator.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2

"I don’t think the average viewer will look at it and say, ‘Oh those animals have six legs because it’s a low gravity planet,” but a Mars Rover has six wheels because four isn’t enough on Mars which has just a little over a third of our surface gravity. So that made sense to me. I think if you apply engineering, you apply the logic and the rules of science to it, something leaps through to the audience. There’s a sense of truth, or authenticity to it. They can’t quite put their finger on it but things seem to be there for a reason."

This is why he makes Billions folks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1