baumer

Captain America: Winter Soldier (2014)

139 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I thought Hydra's motivations were pretty clear. Sow enmity and discord throughout the world while infiltrating SHIELD, in order to gain full power and control over the latest technology and weapons. Then, once they were in control of SHIELD, wipe out their enemies and take over the world.

Yeah, it was clear to me too. Hydra exists in the modern world now, operating in the gray area and highly advanced tech, but it's essentially a very black and white organization, which is exactly a reflection of its founder The Red Skull. Kinda agree with Gopher about Bucky. The Winter Soldier lacks development and depth. Though I'm not sure I want to see more of him either.
  • Like 1

Bucky was lousy. Partially this was casting, though.

I definite see what you say about the casting. I really like the guy in TFA as Bucky Barnes. As The Winter Soldier though, he was meh.

Film is all an opinion, but some of your guys reviews on this site trip me out (for all movies). I see complaints on how the cinematography was just ok, and that the score sucked, they wasted the Winter Solider, or other complaints then see A+, A, A+. How many A+'s can give out? You name 3 large negatives only to give it an A+. It confuses me lol.

What happens when a movie provides all those 3 things too? Is it an A++? 

• Like 4

I really don't understand how people can complaint about the Winter Soldier,he was a great bad guy,so much better than the dark elf,the Mandarin or every other bad guy in Marvel movies,particularly Loki who is such a bad fighter.Fight scenes were fantastic and he was very cool,we need more bad guys like this,a real fighter.Ultron needs to be more like that.

• Like 3

I really don't understand how people can complaint about the Winter Soldier,he was a great bad guy,so much better than the dark elf,the Mandarin or every other bad guy in Marvel movies,particularly Loki who is such a bad fighter.Fight scenes were fantastic and he was very cool,we need more bad guys like this,a real fighter.Ultron needs to be more like that.

I also think The Winter Solider was an amazing villain. The only thing that was against him was the weak villain script. The script focused on how Hydra infiltrated Shield and how Shield was dangerous and corrupted and stuff like that, that in the end, when the villains showed their faces, they were kinda lame. The Winter Solider had a few lines and barely enough screen time to be considered  a supporting character...

• Like 1

Being a good fighter doesn't make a good villain.

• Like 7

Film is all an opinion, but some of your guys reviews on this site trip me out (for all movies). I see complaints on how the cinematography was just ok, and that the score sucked, they wasted the Winter Solider, or other complaints then see A+, A, A+. How many A+'s can give out? You name 3 large negatives only to give it an A+. It confuses me lol.

What happens when a movie provides all those 3 things too? Is it an A++? 

My grades are always more about my enjoyment of the film, rather than actual critique. If I was to give this an actual grade, I would be probably A/A-... And this isn't the worst of that for me personally; Man of Steel I gave an A+, when it probably deserved more of a B- :P

• Like 2

My grades are always more about my enjoyment of the film, rather than actual critique. If I was to give this an actual grade, I would be probably A/A-... And this isn't the worst of that for me personally; Man of Steel I gave an A+, when it probably deserved more of a B- :P

Ok thats cool, I can understand that and I do that myself sometimes. 

• Like 1

Being a good fighter doesn't make a good villain.

Yup, exactly. And I was talking about the character in those moments of dramatic and angsty actings. It wasn't particularly good to me.
  • Like 2

I thought Hydra's motivations were pretty clear. Sow enmity and discord throughout the world while infiltrating SHIELD, in order to gain full power and control over the latest technology and weapons. Then, once they were in control of SHIELD, wipe out their enemies and take over the world.

I got that part. The issue is with the line "I'll save 7 billion people by killing 20 million..." I didn't truly get that part. I didn't necessarily understand why they wanted us to surrender our "freedom." Was it for our own protection? It seems to suggest that, but then is that the same as "taking over the world," which implies that Hydra doesn't really give a damn about us. In other words, did Hydra ever really care about saving a lot of people for the price of a few, or was that a front?

• Like 1

He was a great faceless villain. I think people find it annoying though that the film was titled after him, and we don't really get to see him that much. We barely understand what Zola did to him, and we never get to see his history (except for one flashback to Buck) or have any meaningful lines of dialogue from him, other than "I knew him." I just didn't care. 

• Like 3

He was a great faceless villain. I think people find it annoying though that the film was titled after him, and we don't really get to see him that much. We barely understand what Zola did to him, and we never get to see his history (except for one flashback to Buck) or have any meaningful lines of dialogue from him, other than "I knew him." I just didn't care.

Most people expected him to be a good fighter,to see great fighting scenes.They got that,that's why people loved him.We know him,we saw a lot of him in the first movie,they didn't have to develop him more than that,they added flashbacks for people not knowing him.In the final moments we saw how bonded they were,how big their friendship is.And it's clearly not the last time we'll see him,Captain wants to find him after all.
  • Like 2

I got that part. The issue is with the line "I'll save 7 billion people by killing 20 million..." I didn't truly get that part. I didn't necessarily understand why they wanted us to surrender our "freedom." Was it for our own protection? It seems to suggest that, but then is that the same as "taking over the world," which implies that Hydra doesn't really give a damn about us. In other words, did Hydra ever really care about saving a lot of people for the price of a few, or was that a front?

I thought it was a front. Or, if you want to split hair, Hydra wanted to get rid of anyone who potentially posed a threat.
  • Like 1

HYDRA believes humanity is incapable of protecting itself in normal terms, so their aim is to set up a global police state that would "protect" mankind from themselves. They infiltrated the Nazis in their first go-round, but then they realized that you can't take away liberties by force, you can have to shape global events so that people are willing to give those liberties to them.

Toby Jones says all this in the Zola reveal.

Project Insight was supposed to be one of the final steps in the HYDRA plan, since SHIELD had been given unprecedented power in military and covert might and once the 20 million targets had been eliminated, there would be zero obstacles to HYDRA/SHIELD simply controlling the world de facto.

Edited by Numbers of House Stark
  • Like 3