baumer

Captain America: Winter Soldier (2014)

139 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Where as ANH was about rescuing a princess. Lol

Very true. It comes down to the nature of the antagonists and what kind of story you're telling. The OT antagonists were unambiguous and were the system itself, a clear enemy with clear evil plans for the heroes to fight against. The PT antagonist was a snake in the grass manipulating the system the heroes were trying to defend.

It's the difference between Cap 1 and 2 also. Cap 1 had the more general, straightforward plot since it was a progression of moves against obvious evil Nazi scientists. Cap 2, like the PT, is about how the remnants of the enemy from Cap 1 manipulated the system of power to spread their interests while the heroes fought to preserve the system as it was.

One thing that bugged me a bit is that Cap 2 implied in the Toby Jones scene was that HYDRA was distinct from the Nazis whereas Cap 1 tangled them up together very closely. I think what I got out of it was that HYDRA utilized the Nazis in the same way they were using SHIELD from the end of WW2 through the events of Cap 2.

Captain America: Winter Soldier3PM IMAX (yep my 2nd IMAX film ever, CF was my first)Nearly sold outTrailers:Lucy: Um Okay. A bunch of what is this.TF4: Great reaction, looks pretty good too.TASM2: Good reaction, looks good.Godzilla: Silence up until the title came up-uncontrollable laughter then.X-Men: Some comments, look good.Maleficent: Some talking.Guardians: Some laughs and some I want to see that.Movie: Very good. 2nd best Marvel film (Avengers is the best still). Captain America is a great hero and love Black Widow, what a hottie. His new partner is great (Falcon). Some great twists, score was pretty good too. This was probably the most violent and dark of the Marvel movies (well I should say Avengers films). I really am waiting for CA3 now!A

So New Mexico finally got an Imax? 

Darth Sideous decides to take over the galaxy by manipulating the Nemoidians and Trade Federation into a blockade and invasion of Naboo, thus creating a crisis that will escalate and cause the current president to be deposed and him (as Palpatine) to be elected as leader of the Senate, while relying on the Jedi to stop the Nemoidians (because if the invasion was successful his plan is ruined, no?). Or something. It relies on all sorts of conveniences and retroactive conclusions, but I suppose you can wave those away because he's so far-sighted and strong in the Dark Side, right?Right? It's been awhile since I've seen it.

I just thought about something about Star Wars. In Star Wars they can tell if someone is strong in the force when they met them.. How come no Jedi could sense the force from Palpatine .

I just thought about something about Star Wars. In Star Wars they can tell if someone is strong in the force when they meet them.. How come no Jedi could sense the force from Palpatine .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEbwZfkeIt8

What it is that they can sense other people using the Force. So if someone is Force-Sensitive but is untrained, they would unconsciously use the Force in minor ways that would be detectable. If someone is Force-Sensitive but is not using the Force, they're not detectable at all really. And someone like a Sith Lord or uber-Jedi Master would know how to conceal their use of the Force.

And we're going back off-topic again

Edited by Numbers of House Stark
  • Like 2

It one of the better marvel movies. The first act was really good about whole first hour was fun too watch but as the movie went on it lost its mojo. This movie actually made captain America like able compared to the first and Avengers where he was poorly written and unlike able. Samuel L. Jackson did a good. There was too much over the top action in the movie and it took me out of action scences. Winter Soilder was kinda pointless. I would rather have seen hawkeye in the movie then Falcon. I do not remember the score in movie and movie looked bland. Humor in the film did not work and so did some of the dialog. I wish the movie would have changed the final act to have less pointless CGI.7/10

Edited by Jesus of Suburbia
  • Like 1

Crazy movie!!! Mindboggling ...A+First I can't believe I fell for that stunt with nick fury after I fell for it with loki in thor 2 pffI'd have to say its the 2nd best film of phase 2 for me IM3 always numero uno for meTalking about tony I couldn't help but picture him smirking at shield demise well nick fury shield not the concept founded by his father and co way back , he never trusted them really Agree after credit scene should have been tony and banner watching the news but I get it can't have RDJ all over the place , this is cap movie after allWhat was up with the mid-credit scene : twins? Cap / black widow and falcon made a great team Nick fury is a tough old turkey Poor bucky / winter soldier , I felt for the cap seeing his bff like that and then to realize they must have had to brainwash him regularly there he was starting to remember his friend and they fry his brain again yikes So at this point tony has walked away from iron man and destroy his suits Shield is exposed as corrupted and infiltrated by hydra and in shambles Thor is having some me time on earth after saving the world but his mom is dead , thinks his brother is dead and has no clue his father isn't sitting on the throne Natasha secrets secrets are exposed , which reminds me how about bart where will he pop up next Nick fury burnt his pirate eye patch and other shield stuff boo!I had to laugh at colbie smulders working at stark industries Our avengers team is in a disarray , well at least they have each other the core group if not the support of an organisation behind them

• Like 2

Wow. Easily the best Marvel movie of Phase 2. I'm gonna need a rewatch to comprehend everything that happened, but this was basically the WHAM episode of the MCU. Honestly was probably the best comic book movie period since Avengers. Action was insane, humor was good while being slightly reduced (and this is a positive). The scene with Peggy was beautifully heartbreaking. The Dr. Strange reference made me flip out. And Nick Fury's grave. And... well, I'll be here all night talking about what I liked. Only complaint I have was that there was a bit too much shaky cam. Loved it. A+

• Like 2

Nevermind I see baumer had a few similar questions to me that were answeredSo that's who the twins are ok!I was like wtf how the heck did they get their hands on loki sceptor , last time I saw that natasha used it to close the portal in TA wuuuut?I too exclaimed its abed from community lollll, abed would tots be geeking out if he knew he was in a marvel movie just saying ha ha haDidn't catch on to the pulp fiction reference I've seen that film once a long long time ago maybe I need to refresh my memory

• Like 1

It has a few problems (some of the pacing feels a bit off about a third of the way in, though it does get better, and some of the plotlines didn't mesh quite as well as they could have) but other than that, it's a really awesome and fun movie. The hijacking action sequence was absolutely badass, and the stuff with Toby Jones was really great, too. I wish we could have gotten more of the Winter Soldier in the first act, though.

Still, I really dug this.

B+

• Like 1

A comic book movie that actually tries to give us strong characters, great direction (especially in the first fight scene in which the long camera takes give an energetic feel to everything) and an actual theme that while a bit thin, at least isn't stupid or forced. The result is a really fun time at the cinema. 3.5/4

• Like 1

Said it before: CATWS is not even in the same league of TDK. 

But if you compare this with Thor: The Bore Wolrd and Irobomination Man 3, this is Citizen Kane.

This. I found it surprisingly well made for a comic book movie. It's wedded to its genre, which brings it down from "exceptional" or "great" category, but it's still a lot of fun. It knows its audience, and it delivers exactly what they want while giving general members an actual "film" for once. 

It's hard going from watching stuff like Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, True Detective, Justified, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black and Mad Men (as I have been very recently), to watching these types of films. I'm not excited about them the same way I used to be. I'm not as easily satisfied as I once was. Those shows stick with you in a way that these films just don't.

There's no question that those things are superior entertainment, but you're comparing two different mediums (film vs. TV shows) and two different genres (Comic Book vs. Drama). I don't think it's fair to expect CA to reach the heights of a great drama. TDK might be the one comic book film that did it, and even then, it's filled with cliches. It's much more fair to compare it to its genre (btw, I'm not saying that you aren't doing so, I just felt like commenting).Edit: sorry for leaving 4 comments in a row guys, I just think these discussions are interesting. 

Edited by Dark Jedi Master 007