baumer

BSG: Congratulations to FILM!

Let's look at this year so far, only Divergent and Vampire Academy can really count as being solely targeted at the 12-25 crowd compared to the 4 films I listed. Before you make another list, the other films that you might consider to counter this point (Lego, 300 etc.) are much more broadly targeting than just the 12-25 crowd but you can't really make the same case for the films I mentioned.

And also "dozens" of movies targeted at "old men" is actually quite a lot, considering how little box office they bring.

I said "dozen", not dozens. Nor am I talking about solely targeting 12-25 year olds.... those movies sure as hell aren't targeting "old men"! (And if we're talking actual old men, none of your examples qualify.)

For a 20-something to claim that Hollywood is making too many movies for "old men" is like the CEO of a Wall Street hedge fund claiming that he just doesn't make enough to survive.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 1

I said "dozen", not dozens. Nor am I talking about solely targeting 12-25 year olds.... those movies sure as hell aren't targeting "old men"! (And if we're talking actual old men, none of your examples qualify.)

For a 20-something to claim that Hollywood is making too many movies for "old men" is like the CEO of a Wall Street hedge fund claiming that he just doesn't make enough to survive.

I've never said "too many" Tele, look at my post, I said "a lot".  And it's true, they do make "a lot".  I didn't say it was more than YA or any other demographic.  I think someone's projecting a little :P.

• Like 1

Let's look at this year so far, only Divergent and Vampire Academy can really count as being solely targeted at the 12-25 crowd compared to the 4 films I listed. 

The movies targeting teens come out in the summer when schools are closed. Most of the big budget summer movies target male teens. The old man movies are released outside the blockbuster season

And Jack Ryan was an action movie starring a young male lead. How was it targeting old folks? Do you consider action movies for old demo? If so plenty of "geriatric" actors star in successful action movies....all those successful action franchises...daniel craig, tc..etc

Edited by kiki

Hollywood doesn't make a lot of movies targeted toward adult males.  Hollywood is a teen to young adult business.  If you want to name 12 movies a year that are targeted towards adult or older males, then you can also name about 80-100 that aren't. 

Fuck it, I wasn't going to play because it looks very time consuming but what am I going to do all summer, study? I'll probably do some research this weekend...

As my friend from high school used to say: "It's important to participate, and not be last."

• Like 2

The thing about this being time consuming is that the preseason picks are time consuming.  But once the season starts, it will take maybe 30 minutes out of your week.  You only have 12-15 questions (some bigger weeks could have 50 questions, but that will only be once or twice in the season) to answer every week.  That shouldn't take too much time.

• Like 2