Dementeleus

Weekend #s April 4-6 (Cap2: 96.2, Noah 17, Divergent 13)

As I said in a previous post, it needed stronger direction from someone like Paul Greengrass or Kathryn Bigelow.

Yes. Lack of strong directorial style hurt it.... which is a trend with Marvel movies. To take another flawed (but more impressive movie) -- THE RAID 2 has plenty of problems, but it feels unique and fresh and the clear vision of one person. Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 3

Yes. Lack of strong directorial style hurt it.... which is a trend with Marvel movies.

Well, on some of their movies. Not when they get interesting, quirky directors like Kenneth Branagh or Shane Black. I'd say its been a problem with Thor 2 and now this, both of which were from directors who've mostly done TV-work.

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 1

I think I posted here 10 days ago that Divergent was going to have good legs because of how the studios typically ignore the female demographic.  It is only going to drop 40-50% every weekend and will definitely cross 150 dometic.  About 80% of the main characters in the mainstream movies released so far in 2014 are males, and that number won't change for the next few months.  Of the 43 movies released in the first 1/3 of 2014, the top grossing movies will be The Lego Movie, Captain America 2, and Divergent (Divergent will pass Ride Along in a week or two).

Edited by Ando918
  • Like 3

Well, on some of their movies. Not when they get interesting, quirky directors like Kenneth Branagh or Shane Black. I'd say its been a problem with Thor 2 and now this, both of which were from directors who've mostly done TV-work.

I didn't think Shane Black's direction was particularly unique.
  • Like 1

I know it's something we have to accept.  But just knowing that they are out there makes you just yearn for them to help out, even just a little bit.  I think the film is really good, my favourite Marvel film (outside of Avengers) since IM1.  

But if Hulk of IM showed up just for 5 minutes to help out, I think it would have made the film better.  I understand why they don't or can't but doesn't change the desire to see them there.

They will save that for CA3 Baumer :)
  • Like 1

Didn't realize that midnight grosses were tallied separately in 2008. So IM1 started with 3M midnights from the look of it.

Iron Man crushed its competitors this weekend with a stunning $98.6M in ticket sales, according to final studio figures, covering the official Friday-to-Sunday period. An additional $3.5M in Thursday night preview sales from showtimes beginning at 8PM boosted the cume to $102.1M. The PG-13 hit starring Robert Downey Jr. delivered the tenth largest opening of all-time and the second highest ever for a non-sequel after the $114.8M of 2002's Marvel Comics sibling Spider-Man. The metal man easily outdistanced industry expectations which were in the $70-90M range. Co-starring Jeff Bridges, Terrence Howard, and Gwenyth Paltrow, the Jon Favreau-directed blockbuster averaged a stellar $24,024 from a saturation release in 4,105 theaters.

• Like 1

Didn't realize that midnight grosses were tallied separately in 2008. So IM1 started with 3M midnights from the look of it.

They weren't midnight shows. They were 8 PM shows on Thursday night. What has changed is the Thursday shows are now being lumped in with Friday.

• Like 1

Don't these movies pass at the same time? If they do, Stark lost his powers in IM3 (he will obviously have a new suit for Avengers 2, I know), but it makes sense for him not to show up. Thor is somewhere in Asgard fighting Dark Elves. And Bruce Banner is in some hidden corner of the world, like he usually does. The lack of Hawkeye was stupid, tho. But I assume he was in a special mission in Europe. 

Don't these movies pass at the same time? If they do, Stark lost his powers in IM3 (he will obviously have a new suit for Avengers 2, I know), but it makes sense for him not to show up. Thor is somewhere in Asgard fighting Dark Elves. And Bruce Banner is in some hidden corner of the world, like he usually does. The lack of Hawkeye was stupid, tho. But I assume he was in a special mission in Europe. 

IM3 takes place during Christmas, this movie clearly doesn't. So depending on the timeline both Stark and Hulk could be available. It actually causes an issue in IM3 if this takes place before IM3 i.e. where the hell was SHIELD during Stark being "dead", if it takes place after IM3 then where are the rest of the heroes in this.

I think the smartest thing for them to do is just ignore timeline issues altogether.

• Like 2