Totem

The Dark Knight Rises OS Discussion Thread/700M+ OS CLUB

I don't think so, I think some perspective in the end will show how much people twisted TASM's numbers to something less impressive than it is. But I'm done, I don't want to start flame wars here, it's just that TDKR, a finale to an acclaimed series, it's behaving closely to TASM than I believe a lot of people here won't like to admit.

It is not impressive. it is not bad. It is boring and mediocre.

I'll buy the argument about Superman, but not Batman.

I did say Batman had a weaker DOM:OS ration, did i not?

My belief is Ledger's death added a ton of publicity for the film around the world.

It was much bigger for the same reasons it was much bigger in the US.

It's not mediocre. It's still good. Sony is still making a lot of profit on the film.

Compared to some of expectations of the more vocal members on the board here, it's is pretty mediocre. I keep saying this over and over again but I predicted 830M WW and was called "hater" and it wont hit that.

Compared to some of expectations of the more vocal members on the board here, it's is pretty mediocre. I keep saying this over and over again but I predicted 830M WW and was called "hater" and it wont hit that.

I predicted 800M OS and always thought 700M OS was locked. :lol:
  • Like 1

One thing Sony probably wishes they had is merchandising rights. Batman has made a shitload of money for WB over the last 5 years when you factor in two $1 billion films, two massively popular video games (likely more profitable than the films), tons of toys and other merchandise sold. Meanwhile Disney and Marvel get to collect the mailbox money from all the ASM toys and merchandise that get sold.

O RLY? Increasing from TDK is boring and mediocre? Please excuse me while I :rotfl:

It's not boring and mediocre. And that's my whole point here. Taking in consideration that it's a reboot and that TDKR is a far more heavy investment with marketing, I'd say that both level each other out. Both are impressive numbers for two of the most popular characters in comics, and that's why I was applying the same logic that you hold TASM for TDKR: it doesn't make sense at all.

It's not mediocre. It's still good. Sony is still making a lot of profit on the film.

Same for TDKR. Both are enjoying impressive runs in the OS markets, and TASM is behaving like a reboot DOM and TDKR is behaving like a finale DOM. It's on the OS markets that their runs are far more close to each other, and they are both impressive. That's my point all along.

Not meeting expectations doesn't mean the film is not doing well. We underestimated the reboot factor therefore ASM will make a lot less than what a lot was predicting but overall ASM is well received and making a solid amount of money
  • Like 2

One thing Sony probably wishes they had is merchandising rights. Batman has made a shitload of money for WB over the last 5 years when you factor in two $1 billion films, two massively popular video games (likely more profitable than the films), tons of toys and other merchandise sold. Meanwhile Disney and Marvel get to collect the mailbox money from all the ASM toys and merchandise that get sold.

In that regard, Sony has an advantage that TDKR doesn't, but I'm glad they didn't. Not because of the pissing contest, but because I love the Arkham City games to death. The last I heard, Sony made tons of money out of the TASM PS3, X-Box and PC game. Sony still made a good profit of that one. Nothing from toys though.

In that regard, Sony has an advantage that TDKR doesn't, but I'm glad they didn't. Not because of the pissing contest, but because I love the Arkham City games to death. The last I heard, Sony made tons of money out of the TASM PS3, X-Box and PC game. Sony still made a good profit of that one. Nothing from toys though.

They do have the video game rights? That's good. Would suck if they put all that money into making the movie and then Marvel just sits there collecting all the ancillary profits. It's like this shit in China with the studios only getting 25% of the revenue. Such a crock of crap.
  • Like 2

It's not boring and mediocre. And that's my whole point here. Taking in consideration that it's a reboot and that TDKR is a far more heavy investment with marketing, I'd say that both level each other out. Both are impressive numbers for two of the most popular characters in comics, and that's why I was applying the same logic that you hold TASM for TDKR: it doesn't make sense at all.Same for TDKR. Both are enjoying impressive runs in the OS markets, and TASM is behaving like a reboot DOM and TDKR is behaving like a finale DOM. It's on the OS markets that their runs are far more close to each other, and they are both impressive. That's my point all along.

It makes perfect sense. A film getting 750M WW and another getting to 1 Billion WW shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence together.

Interesting note, WB actually had to buy the developers and publishing rights back to Batman: Arkham City, because another studio released the first one, who probably paid a fee to use the Batman license and for future sequels. WB meanwhile had 100% control over the 2nd game.I'm surprised Disney hasn't made any moves to acquire some of the rights to various Marvel characters under their video game sector. Edited by MrPink

Not meeting expectations doesn't mean the film is not doing well. We underestimated the reboot factor therefore ASM will make a lot less than what a lot was predicting but overall ASM is well received and making a solid amount of money

It is the lowest grossing film of the brand, domestically and WW. Hard to call that solid.

It makes perfect sense. A film getting 750M WW and another getting to 1 Billion WW shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence together.

And what if TDKR doesn't get to $700m? How would you feel? It's still a success, and it doesn't need to get there to prove it.
  • Like 1