baumer

Some men just want to watch.... TDKR (The Amazing Baumer Transformation Thread)

Truthfully I find many of the Avengers solo movies to be kind of bad.  IM2 and 3, Thor and Thor 2, imo, are all pretty bad.

• Like 1

I love both of the Thor movies. Hemsworth, Hiddleston, and Hopkins are all great. Really enjoy the interactions of those characters. Cap 1 has grown on me quite a bit through the last few years. Cap 2 was great as well. Nice change of pace from other MCU movies.

But damn...you never would have thought the star of the show would get short-changed in his own franchise. IM1 is awesome and then the sequels are just sort of "there," like ASM.

• Like 4

The thing about ASM is the story and the choices they made for the story are seriously ridiculous.  Parker tells Gwen on their first date that he's Spider-man.  That's just stupid.  Then you've got Parker showing up on Gwen's window, the 23rd floor, and she says "HI" like it's normal for people crawl up walls.  It's decisions like this that really make the movie weak and silly and quite frankly stupid.

Yeah, but at the same time, TDKR takes many liberties. Now a week ago, you would've said "exactly." But now, the question is why does Spider-Man bother you and Batman not?

Yeah, but at the same time, TDKR takes many liberties. Now a week ago, you would've said "exactly." But now, the question is why does Spider-Man bother you and Batman not?

Because it's a better made film.  I can't get past the original thing that bothered me about ASM.  It's the same frikkin story as the previous Spider-man films.  It did nothing to differentiate it from the other films.  The entire ideology of this Spider-man is just wrong and that has bothered me from the very beginning.

• Like 2

You know I assume that baumer is gonna have something going back at him from now on whenever he posts an extremely negative or postive review, cause others will be replying "hey, you might be bullshitting here because you might change your opinion in a year or so. Stop posting reviews untill you stop changing them!"

• Like 1

I don't worry about that stuff vc2002.  My opinion of TDKR changed in terms of my enjoyment of it.  The same problems still exist in the film, it's not like they just disappeared.  

And this isn't the first time I've disliked a film and then years later liked it.  I think it happens to all of us.  

• Like 4

Because it's a better made film.  I can't get past the original thing that bothered me about ASM.  It's the same frikkin story as the previous Spider-man films.  It did nothing to differentiate it from the other films.  The entire ideology of this Spider-man is just wrong and that has bothered me from the very beginning.

I've heard that complaint a lot, and I do understand it, but frankly, I disagree. I think Webb's film did differentiate itself from the original when it came to characterization. The original film was so "cheesy" in its characterization (outside of Goblin's character). Peter was the nerd who everyone picked on, Mary Jane was the angel, Uncle Ben and Aunt May were guardians who could do no wrong. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it comes off as manipulative and fake. Exchanges like this (paraphrasing):Peter: All couples fightMJ: Not your Uncle and Aunt :puke: In TASM, I felt like those people were as real as comic book characters could be (with the exception of The Lizard). Peter was an outcaste, but he wasn't picked on all the time by everybody and forced to chase buses cause the busdriver is a dbag. Uncle Ben and Aunt May acted more like parents and actually came down harshly on him (in the previous film, they would only "talk" with Peter). By far, the best character was the bully. Yes, he was mean, but after Peter's uncle died, the bully actually showed heart. And you know what? That's exactly the bullies I encountered in high school. They (for the most part) would leave you alone if tragedy struck. It was refreshing for a film to deliver what felt like actual people for once, and I enjoyed that! I found that to be the new and refreshing part of TASM. 

This. Like those who complain about the predictability of Miranda's twist, yet call Obediah's "shocking".

What do you mean THIS, Redfirebird2008's comment is a load of crap, since when do people 'drool over Marvel' and 'trash Nolan'? Nolan is mostly praised in the internet, more so than Marvel.
  • Like 2

What do you mean THIS, Redfirebird2008's comment is a load of crap, since when do people 'drool over Marvel' and 'trash Nolan'? Nolan is mostly praised in the internet, more so than Marvel.

You haven't been paying very much attention around here the last couple years I guess.

Marvel is praised for faithfulness to the comics. Rightfully so. They deserve to be praised for that. Baumer was talking about the Bat symbol fire on the side of the building in TDKR. That kind of stuff is straight out of the comics, yet it's the kind of thing Nolan was nitpicked to death for allegedly jumping the shark.

TDKR has plenty of flaws, but the nitpicking went pretty over the top. I just wish people would be consistent. One second they're bashing Nolan for not following the comics. The next minute they're bashing him for using stuff that comes straight from the comics because it's "not plausible." Is it a comic book movie or what? Why does TDK get a free pass on similar things?

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 4

You haven't been paying very much attention around here the last couple years I guess.

Marvel is praised for faithfulness to the comics. Rightfully so. They deserve to be praised for that. Baumer was talking about the Bat symbol fire on the side of the building in TDKR. That kind of stuff is straight out of the comics, yet it's the kind of thing Nolan was nitpicked to death for allegedly jumping the shark.

TDKR has plenty of flaws, but the nitpicking went pretty over the top. I just wish people would be consistent. One second they're bashing Nolan for not following the comics. The next minute they're bashing him for using stuff that comes straight from the comics because it's "not plausible." Is it a comic book movie or what? Why does TDK get a free pass on similar things?

Because, Joker, dude.

"I went hang on a second...a minute ago, Superman wasn't able to breathe the oxygen on Earth and now he can breathe in space. Then I realized that if you're worried about Superman flying in space...it's because you've lost interest in the other stuff."-Mark Kermode on Man of Steel.TDK gets a pass cause most consider it a more satisfying movie. TDKR is considered less satisfying, hence its nitpicks are exaggerated as major or crippling flaws.