Films

Weekend numbers: Ca2 41.4M, Oculus 12M, draft day 9.75M, Raid 2 1M

The muppets tend to work best in shorter segments. Look at how great some of the advertisements are for both the past two films, not as items to sell the film, but just as standalone products themselves. Or the various youtube videos that have gone viral (Bohemian Rhapsody, anyone?)

Disney should probably refocus to just producing that sort of product. They could do another sketch show (which provides a nice showcase for shorter pieces), but it would be even better to just make the short pieces they can put out there online as well as slot in at various points on their channels, perhaps with the occasional TV special.

• Like 4

Frozen is 7.5m away globally from RoTK and 11.4m away from TF3. Overtaking them will give it the #6 spot ww. Ain't that something..

Yeah, but the thing is with Frozen many of the people who were driving the box office numbers were the same group of 8 year old girls who went and saw it 4 times in the theater.  I'm not saying that Lord of The Rings movies aren't also inflated - because 13 year old fanboys went and saw that 4 times in the theater, but it is just worth mentioning.  Frozen is still at #108 all-time domestic when adjusted for inflation.

Yeah, but the thing is with Frozen many of the people who were driving the box office numbers were the same group of 8 year old girls who went and saw it 4 times in the theater.  I'm not saying that Lord of The Rings movies aren't also inflated - because 13 year old fanboys went and saw that 4 times in the theater, but it is just worth mentioning.  Frozen is still at #108 all-time domestic when adjusted for inflation.

Adjusted for inflation The Graduate is higher than Avengers.  It's a different era now, so your point is kind of irrelevant.

What film that has made as much as Froze did or SW or LOTR or Titanic, doesn't have repeat viewings.

I remember there was a point in my CAYOM ceremony where Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson won an Oscar, but then Animal was the play-off music so he ran up to attack them, and Chuck Norris just ripped Animal in half and threw his stuffing to the audience while Liam Neeson beat up the puppeteer :lol:

Adjusted for inflation The Graduate is higher than Avengers.  It's a different era now, so your point is kind of irrelevant.

What film that has made as much as Froze did or SW or LOTR or Titanic, doesn't have repeat viewings.

None.  It's just that their repeat viewings come from different demographics - not just 8 year old girls who dragged their moms or dads to see it 4 or 5 times and made them memorize all of the songs.

I may be in the minority on this one, but maybe the Muppets are just past their best before date.  I had a hard time sitting through the movie.  I just found it to be so....what's the word....passe.  There are just some films and series of films that perhaps worked better in the past.  Times change.

True, but Disney can't just let them go to waste. They probably wouldn't have worked on the Disney Channel I grew up on in the early and mid 2000's, but the way Disney Channel is now, they could fit a DC mutli-camera sitcom, especially if they add in their typical tween character and make it situational. And thats what I'm saying about the new generation, I think Disney is trying to lure them in now, instead of satisfying the old fans. And I like Damien's idea too about using them for ads. The Muppets can make bank, I just film isnt the right media for them.

• Like 2

None.  It's just that their repeat viewings come from different demographics - not just 8 year old girls who dragged their moms or dads to see it 4 or 5 times and made them memorize all of the songs.

There are plenty of people outside of girls who provided repeat viewings.

• Like 3

LOL there are a lot of fellas on this board who have seen Frozen multiple times.

• Like 1

Yeah, but the thing is with Frozen many of the people who were driving the box office numbers were the same group of 8 year old girls who went and saw it 4 times in the theater. Frozen is still at #108 all-time domestic when adjusted for inflation.

? This is every big movie, even small ones. There were people that saw Avengers 8 times, some saw it 2-3 on OW. When you go to BOM and it says "XX sold 70M tickets", you can't assume its 70 million people for any movie, but rather 70 million tickets. I don't get why you're ragging on Frozen? Titanic, Avatar, TDK, even Hangover had multiple views. Twilight, Harry Potter, I'm even sure Gravity and WoWS got a couple.

Frozen is huge because it's a phenomenon and even if everyone was only seeing it once, it'd still be making serious bank. It's just a movie, but its a successful movie and that cant be denied and there should be no issue with little girls seeing it 4 times. I saw it twice, but both of my tickets were $4.50, so I contributed $9 to its total. I'm sure parents arent paying $13 a ticket to take their kids to Frozen 4 times. Theres a thing called matinee, which non-kids movies don't even really get the luxury of. Most people who saw Avengers multiple times likely saw it paying night prices, not matinee, so pick another movie to rag on and just let Frozen enjoy its success.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 5