Films

Weekend numbers: Ca2 41.4M, Oculus 12M, draft day 9.75M, Raid 2 1M

There does seem to be a ceiling for non-Iron Man movies. But when that ceiling is 600-650m Marvel are still laughing all the way to the bank.

I am not sure it's even their ceiling as they undoubtedly gross more than the last installment and after AOU tthey will again increase.  

It needed a 3rd IM to hit the billion.  

CA2 is coming from a $170M domestic going to $250M is a 50 % domestic increase.  It will more than double its international take, that's more than a 100% increase and i don't think TA is the only reason for that.

Thor3 and CA3 have still room to gross more, especially abroad.  I think they both could reach $850+ M 

• Like 2

CA2 is coming from a $170M domestic going to $250M is a 50 % domestic increase.  It will more than double its international take, that's more than a 100% increase and i don't think TA is the only reason for that.

The increase from the first movie is really impressive (albeit expected), but it's telling that Thor 2 and Cap 2 will make roughly the same amount WW despite the latter apparently being a lot better. Maybe that variance will be reflected in the respective performance of Thor 3 and Cap 3....

The increase from the first movie is really impressive (albeit expected), but it's telling that Thor 2 and Cap 2 will make roughly the same amount WW despite the latter apparently being a lot better. Maybe that variance will be reflected in the respective performance of Thor 3 and Cap 3....

I find it more fascinating that CA2 could literally double Thor2 Chinese take while having the lesser appealling satus and America in his name.

I wonder how much CA3 could do in China after AOU and in two years from now with how fast this market is still expanding.  After all, CA will end up in two movies likely to hit $100+M in China two years in a row, movies that are technically prequels to CA3.

Im very interrested to know how the AOU poster will feature CA.  He was behind all the others in TA.  IM was front and center, Thor was in the middle like replicating their respective gross and putting them in the order each of their sequel will feature after TA.

Also in belgium, there was zero advertisment for CA2 while there were left and right for IM3 and Thor2.

Edited by Ent
  • Like 2

The weather excuse is the dumbest thing I've ever heard

I posted this last page.

There's a difference between having nice weather every day for four months, and having the first really nice weekend since December.  Take me for example.  I was going to see Oculus yesterday but because it was 18 freakin degrees outside, I put my shorts and t-shirt on, slapped on my sandals and took the dogs out for most of the day, came home and bbqued and had a nice meal.  So the weather does play havoc on a weekend like this.

• Like 3

And again, how is a 220 million dollar gross for Godzilla bad?  If you guys think that's a terrible gross for Godzilla, then I kind of feel sorry for you.  Your expectations are way out of whack.

• Like 9

And again, how is a 220 million dollar gross for Godzilla bad?  If you guys think that's a terrible gross for Godzilla, then I kind of feel sorry for you.  Your expectations are way out of whack.

We just want more. lol

What's your prediction, B?

We just want more. lol

What's your prediction, B?

I'm still not sure.  Right now in the summer game I have it at 200 on the nose. 

Prepare for those big deductions. lol

I just don't see why it would go much higher though.  You have no point of reference with it.  I'll conceded a 50 million opening.  But a 4 multiplier will only happen if it's good.

I just don't see why it would go much higher though.  You have no point of reference with it.  I'll conceded a 50 million opening.  But a 4 multiplier will only happen if it's good.

Well the anticipation is high. The one problem I see though is heavy competition.

Well the anticipation is high. The one problem I see though is heavy competition.

Summer is always filled with competition.

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice  · 14m ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE opened with an estimated $96,976 this weekend from 4 locations. #OnlyLoversLeftAlive

BoxOffice ‏@BoxOffice  · 16m THE RAID 2 took in an estimated $1.01M this weekend. Domestic total now stands at $1.43M. #TheRaid2

• Like 1