Blankments

TimeOut's Top 100 Animated Movies of All-Time (Voted on by Animation Experts/Directors)

Finding Nemo not being in the top 10 saddens me, actually the fact that the only Pixar movie in the top 10 is Toy Story (one of their most overrated franchises, but still great, their other original films besides Cars, Brave, and Bugs Life are better).  

I get that you're not supposed to put much 21st century animation, but honestly some of the best animation has come during this period.

Isn't The Incredibles #5?

To be honest, all of the extreme Frozen buzz has actually started to make me like it less, simply because I have been overexposed to it, and if I hear one more person break out into Let it Go I might go insane.

Do not visit Korea any time soon then :)
  • Like 1

Not really as Aladdin already beat it in the Top Musicals poll.

I was both delighted and amazed that Aladdin won that. Frozen seems to be going down that annoying path when an amazing film is classed as a greatest of all time film which it just isnt.
  • Like 1

I was both delighted and amazed that Aladdin won that. Frozen seems to be going down that annoying path when an amazing film is classed as a greatest of all time film which it just isnt.

In defense of the crazy Frozen hype, I think it successfully managed to strike an emotional chord with global audiences on a scale no other movie, live action or animated, has managed in a pretty long time. I don't know if it is the greatest, but it definitely is one of the most emotionally intelligent movies of all time.

Aladdin on the other hand, is plain BOSS.  :shades:

Allow me to tell you the results ahead of time.

1. Overrated Disney/Pixar film

2. Overrated Disney/Pixar film

3. Overrated Disney/Pixar film

4. Overrated Disney/Pixar film

5. Overrated Disney/Pixar film

6. Overrated Disney/Pixar film

7. Overrated Disney/Pixar film

8. Overrated Disney/Pixar film.

9. Overrated Disney/Pixar film

10. Overrated Disney/Pixar film

There's a slight possibility that a Ghibli or something else might slip in, but I suspect this is accurate enough.

No way. Some of us will ensure that a few Miyazaki and Don Bluth make it in there.

Edited by Numbers of House Stark

Finding Nemo not being in the top 10 saddens me, actually the fact that the only Pixar movie in the top 10 is Toy Story (one of their most overrated franchises, but still great, their other original films besides Cars, Brave, and Bugs Life are better).  

I get that you're not supposed to put much 21st century animation, but honestly some of the best animation has come during this period.

Personally, I have no qualms with Toy Story's position. The only Pixar films I'd potentially place above it are the two films by Brad Bird. And as someone already mentioned, The Incredibles is #5, so two Pixar films made the cut, which, considering the wide breadth of quality animated films that are not from Pixar, seems like a perfectly acceptable number (if not too much already).

I also feel like plenty of 21st century films made the list. The top 10 has 3. And considering it has another 3 films from the 90s, I'd say modern animation is pretty well represented. I agree that a lot of great animation has come out this century.

And again, regarding the order, we shouldn't put so much stock in it. It is an aggregate list based off of slightly over 100 individual top 10 lists. Hardly the largest sample size. But I find this to be a very refreshing list.

As much as I love Don Bluth, are any of his movies worthy of the Top Ten in a list of all-time best animated movies?

Secret of NIMH, without a doubt.

I think I might host a "Top xx Animated Movies of All Time (Any Format)" thing sometime in May, would anybody be down for that? We only had a post-2000s one before I think.

Im definitely down for thatI am also going to do the post 2000's one again in November. This year will be a lot more interesting with new releases such as the Lego movie and how to train your dragon 2 (also wouldn't rule out the Boxtrolls as I think Paranorman and CORALINE both just missed the top 25 or 1 of them even made it). The most interesting part will be how high frozen climbers. The deadline came just a few days after it had been released in North America and I think it has the best average on the whole list (like 92 from 4 votes when films were missing off the list with 9 votes)

overall this list is better than one might expect. still too toploaded with pixar/disney/ghibli stuff. but there's interesting choices too, such as yellow submarine and alice just outside the top ten.

mine would go like this:

1. akira (1988)2. south park: bigger, longer & uncut (1999)3. mary & max (2009)4. fantastic mr. fox (2009)5. dimensions of dialogue (1982)6. pas de deux (1968)7. cat soup (2001)8. coraline (2009)9. ghost in the shell (1995)10. persepolis (2007) 7/10begone dull care (1949)outer space (2000)princess mononoke (1997)wall·e (2008)